Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
My guess is they are all gone :D

I know CC is still shooting some but around me I cant find any. I was seening then but all the lakes are locked up. I even drifted the river this weekend. I saw 150 or 200 ducks. Mostly malards with some divers mixed in but no geese at all. I think they have moved on in my area.

·
Premium Member
5,662 Posts
There's still some birds here in SE, but it's going to get increasingly tougher and we finally got skunked this past weekend. (first time this late season. shouldn't have happened though - two in the hole and they both made it out.)

They've got to have water and they have to still eat. they'll be hunkered around any open water holes (our birds are coming from the river from the remaining open water)

we had some birds that I swear only got up to "get the blood moving" and then went back to the river. came out, circled the rig and then headed further south. 10 minutes later, they came back over the rig heading north, making a bee line back to the roost.

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
We hunted yesterday too, but we didn't shoot any geese either. Seen a bunch when some idiots shot the roost. They were definately trespasing and shooting to close to houses. I hope they shot to many,,,got busted for all three offenses. I haven't heard of anyone getting arrested so,,,,they proably got in and out with out any troubles. I had a buddy call the rap line but you have to be the lease holder or the land owner to make a complaint. Next time will tell them they have shot way over their limit. Maybe between the time the CO get's there and the landowners find out,,,they get em with everything. The geese got up flew around but already had an education that I couldn't compete with. We did have a pair coming in but 2 of the guys were out of the blinds and they didn't quite get close enough for the shot. We were real lucky this year with the fall rains, it has a lot of flow going and kept areas open that with this cold would have been frozen in the past. Not much snow around either here,,,maybe 4 to 5 inches,,,but according to the weather forecast that is going to change. they are calling for an additional 5 to 6 inches tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Today is the first time I have seen geese in the cut corn fields near my house for more than ten days. Nobody hunted those fields this weekend. In two fields separated by a road there were probably 40 to 70 geese. The weird thing is that as I was approching I thought they were crows. That is because they were sitting with crows. That is definately a new one for me. Probably 100 crows with those geese. They were hugging the road too. Maybe the east wind and the spitting snow helped...

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I believe the cold weather, frozen water ways, and increasing snow falls have pushed a good number of birds out of the area. We still have about 100 local geese that frequent the golf course I run but we can only bow hunt them and they're only showing up on warmer days. My one friend has been pounding them in Ohio right on the Michigan border. They still have some open river water down there......

·
Premium Member
5,662 Posts
I've got about 10% of what I had 2 weeks ago - still roosting on the Huron.

and we'll be out there this weekend for the last "Hurah"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts