Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a recent SD turkey hunt, I and the girlfriend were hunting on a fairly large river. WE had turkeys on the opposite bank making a racket, when all of a sudden we heard a pair of geese coming. The geese circled a few times and landed in a dead cottonwood on the bank, I couldnt believe it. A few seconds later a pair of woodies landed in the same tree!!!!

I thought i must be suffering from sleep deprevation until the next morning, a breeding pair was chasing each other around on the water and one once again flew into a tree. My buddy claims one of his cameramen have footage of around fifty geese in trees while they are deer hunting.

I wish I would have had a camera

·
Registered
271 Posts
Yes, it's true. I witnessed the same thing a few years ago where a nest was built in the top of an oak tree along a stream bank. Couldn't believe my eyes when I saw them circle around and land up there nearly 50' up and settle in. Also, if I can find the picture, I have seen them nest on top of barns too.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I also saw this...

I was golfing at Fern Hill Golf Course early in the season one year and had a goose chasing us around.. It finally landed in an old dead oak tree and contined his honking rant.. I was pretty amazed as I had never seen that before.. Must of had a next nearby...

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
As a child I saw this at our home in the thumb. A pair of geese landed in the Elm Tree in our side yard. It was during a terrible storm sleet/hail/rain, and I figured they just wanted to get out of the weather.

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
I live on a small lake and the mallards are always landing on my roof of the house???Even saw one on the chimeny

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I just saw this a few weeks ago at Detroit Shooters Congress. We hadn't started our round yet and here comes a pair locked up over the trees. I figured they'd come down into the parking lot to eat the grass. One of them did, the other perched about 50 feet up in an old dead tree. The one that landed on the ground started talking for a few minutes while feeding, then joined his mate up in the tree. Mind you, this is all with gunshots going off almost constantly.

I have a pic on my camera phone, but the resolution is so crappy and it's so far away you can't really tell what is what.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Back when i got off active duty i was a cable guy for a hot second and i was up on a ladder next to a barn when I heard what I now know to be a laydown moan, turned around, goose standing on the barns roof

On one of the primos turkey vids they have a goose land in a tree on camera

a coupla weeks ago was out and about in mt clemens and right in the bw3 parking lot in the middle of town at 3 am was a gander that must have had a mate sitting on a nest nearby in the state i was in at the time had he had jewelry it would have been a near run thing

·
Registered
532 Posts
Remnar said:
Here is a picture from last year at Fishpoint.

Its the very rare woodgoose.

·
Registered
683 Posts
got any pland for that woodgoose box?

If I did not see that picture I would say you all have been downwind of a DEA drug burn :dizzy:

Weird stuff - never heard of that before.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
At the Edsel & Eleanor Ford House in St. Clair Shores there are 2 breeding pairs of canada geese that have built their nests in the trees.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts