Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've caught plenty of musky trolling the lake and a few jigging eyes in the river, but would lime to jigging for some skis.

Curious about rod/reel/line/leader.

I have a heavy duty flipping stick that I've user for casting buck tails raps and lokes. I also have a couple of really stiff 6'3" musky rods. I have a couple of shimano calcutta 300s too.

Curious about color choice as water clarity. Clear water? Slightly stained? I have a 1 year old, do finances are tight if there are 2-3 colors you'd recommend to start.

Also, are there different sizes of baits?

Thanks a ton,
Tim

Ps: Does this technique work in the st Clair river?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Banned
640 Posts
im a novice at musky fishing...but my buddies who arent...and fish regularly, got me in a 9' heavy musky innovations rod for jig'n and casting...If you look up you tube bondy has got a 10 minute video on how, what and why he uses the gear he dose...im not exactly sure that musky care so much about color as they do speed and presentation..imo...but like i said im new and can only go off what i hear and read..Good luck

·
Registered
198 Posts
Pearl, black and vomit sell the most.

He has 3 different types of baits. Just stick with the original.

Most people just stick with the DR, no one really has any reports for the SCR.

Also the Bondy weighs in a about 6oz, make sure your rod can handle that plus a 15#+ fish.

·
Banned
640 Posts
Pearl, black and vomit sell the most.

He has 3 different types of baits. Just stick with the original.

Most people just stick with the DR, no one really has any reports for the SCR.

Also the Bondy weighs in a about 6oz, make sure your rod can handle that plus a 15#+ fish.
exactly what he said....but as far as line Dont do like me!!...buy 80 lbs not 50...cuz it will snap like 4 lbs...or go up to 120 lb...but 80 lbs min...power pro...or your fav braid...check out MTO...online too...lots of tips and vids to watch if your new like me

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
If you're limited to 3 baits then go with Pearl, vomit, & black (regular size Bondy). Those colors will produce most days.

Rod: 8' Heavy is what I use. I've also used a 9" X-Heavy but lost more fish on them because I was ripping the baits out of their mouths. Go with at least an 8 foot rod as that will help with hook sets & fighting the fish. Shorter rod will cost you more lost fish.

Line: 80 Lb or 100 Lb braid, nothing less than 80 Lb else you won't stand much of a chance of getting your bait back from a snag. Dick's sells Power Pro the cheapest at $30 for a 300 yard spool so you can spool 2 reels.

Reel; Go with a quality round reel with at least 15 Lb max drag. Shimano Calcutta or Diawa Luna are good reels. Stay away from the Abu Garcia C3, C4, & Record reels because they won’t last long. I have trashed a C4 & a Record jigging, both within 3 trips.

Yes you can jig them in the SCR as well as the shipping channel in LSC.

Leaders: Go with at least 100 Lb steel leader. I make my own for about a $1 each.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info. I just want to feel one of these fish hit....

Do you drop the bait down touch bottom then crank up a bit to try and minimize the snags?

My graph will usually pick up a walleye jig so I can probably look at that too...

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Well heck...no reason for me to chime in! You guys got it covered! Thanks for the interest and good luck. BTW This bait has now won 10 musky tournaments, as of this past weekend, and only 2 were in a river system. The rest were on lakes where guys cast and pull it through open water, or vertically jig through balls of bait so it is very versatile. I'll be the first to admit it is the dumbest looking lure on earth, but don't let that fool ya....Jon

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Thanks for the info. I just want to feel one of these fish hit....

Do you drop the bait down touch bottom then crank up a bit to try and minimize the snags?

My graph will usually pick up a walleye jig so I can probably look at that too...

The hit can be vicious or you may not even feel it at all. You'll feel the hit when lowering the bait. If they hit at the top of the jig stroke you won't feel it most of the time. Your line will just go slack & those are the hits that you'll lose the most fish on because you won't get a good hook set.

I had one hit the other day that I never felt. All I seen was my line coiling up on the surface because it went limp big time. Ended up losing the fish on the surface because my Extreme Net man took his sweet ***** time reeling in his line & grabbing the net.

Last week I had a 46 1/4" musky hit so hard that I almost lost my rod & my arm was hurting afterwards.

I usually let my bait hit bottom then reel it up about 6" or so off the bottom then I watch my graph for depth changes to adjust. If I do snag up I move up current of the snag & that usually gets it out but not always. Pulled in 2 anchors last year & one of them had an old Bondy Bait attached to the rope.

You won't need to work on your biceps after jigging for 8 hours. I was mentioning to the wife a week ago about how my biceps were getting flabby from not going to the gym. After 3 musky jigging trips the past week my biceps aren't so flabby. :D

Jigging Bondy Baits for musky is not for everyone because it is a workout & will wear you down.

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
Well heck...no reason for me to chime in! You guys got it covered! Thanks for the interest and good luck. BTW This bait has now won 10 musky tournaments, as of this past weekend, and only 2 were in a river system. The rest were on lakes where guys cast and pull it through open water, or vertically jig through balls of bait so it is very versatile. I'll be the first to admit it is the dumbest looking lure on earth, but don't let that fool ya....Jon
My young boy suggested that it "needed a smile".:D
Told him "would you be happy doin what it does?":lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts