Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:help: Was wondering if anyone has fished around the gaylord area recently. I will be heading up there thursday and staying till sunday. Hoping to get out on some lakes up there and maybe land into some fish. Possibly Otsego Lake or West Twin???? Any info is greatly appreciated:help:

·
Registered
34 Posts
I called Skip's Sport Shop (989-348-7111) outside of Grayling yesterday. They said there was 6"-9" of ice on Lake Margrethe. Didn't ask about any other lake. I'm leaving tomorrow for the first venture this year.

·
Premium Member
5,185 Posts
Hey Chief,

Try Emerald or Opal, A little South of town but I've done "fair" on both.

I have never had much luck on Otsego.

Now for the most important question..........................

Lion or Steeler ?? ;)

·
Registered
120 Posts
chiefsLB59 said:
:help: Was wondering if anyone has fished around the gaylord area recently. I will be heading up there thursday and staying till sunday. Hoping to get out on some lakes up there and maybe land into some fish. Possibly Otsego Lake or West Twin???? Any info is greatly appreciated:help:

are you wondering about west twin in Lewiston ?????

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
I was planning on going out on Otsego lake this past weekend but couldn't convince the family to let me sneak away for a few hours on Christmas day.:rolleyes:
I've never fished them, but there are supposed to be good number of sturgeon and good size as well in Otsego lake. Most of your access will be at the state park or county park though. Maybe someone could chime in on fishing sturgeon thru the ice on Otsego Lake.
My favorite lakes to fish in Otsego county all have limited access in the winter due to seasonal roads.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Its been above 32 during the day since the 22nd but there were a couple of pop up shanties out off of Arbutus Beach late this afternoon so I stopped to check. Ice was only about 3, mayby 4" thick and foamy white all the way through. The ice on the surface chipped like it was fairly hard still. Spots with bits of snow on the surface seemed a lot softer to the spud so I walked around them. I only went out till I figured to be in 3' - 4 foot of water, turned around and went back to the car. I figured all it would take was saucer sized one air bubble under the ice and I would find out how well lard floats.:help:

Didn't get close enough to ask if they were doing any good. I decided I wasn't all that curious.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes i am talking about the west twin lakein lewiston. My uncle has a cottage in lewiston but his lake isnt very good for fishing. I heard that there was ice up there and people were catching fish. I am a lions fan aslong as they get rid of Harrington, not much of a fan of him lol:lol: . I am hoping that houghton lake will have enough ice to venture out on. I might also give otsego a try. This weather isnt helping anything whatsoever. Im gonna try to go to a couple of lakes around the gaylord area and will post on how i do and the ice conditions for anyone headin up that way.

Really want to put the vex to the test but just hoping for some ice to be able to do so....:sad:

·
Registered
292 Posts
I live in Grayling,hear there is about 6"to 8"on houghton and 4 to 6 on margrethe.First ice always good for walleyes on margrethe.Always do good on tipups for northerns.Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys for your help. I will be heading u p to houghton lake tommorow morning and fishign there all day and then heading up maybe hit margrethe while we are up there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts