Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a old 6 hp chrysler motor,on the can it says add 30 weight oil.
Would it be safe to run 50 to 1 mixture in this motor?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
10,804 Posts
How old is that motor? I know most Chrysler's are from the late sixty's to early seventy's but Two strokes recommending the use of "30W" oil go's back to the 50's/60's! If you mix today’s lubricants to yesterday’s recommendations you'll end up with fouled plugs but you will have one heck of a mosquito fogger! In most cases unless you plan on using an exotic high priced synthetic most outboards run just fine on a 40:1 to 50:1 mix. Buy a good quality 2 cycle oil thats recommended for Pre-Mix(Valvoline, Penzoil, Quicksilver, ect.) and use that. If your unsure about a ratio and want to be safe mix up a gallon or two at 32:1, run it and see how bad it smokes and if it "wets" the plugs. From there try a gallon at 40:1, if your still getting smoke and the plugs still appear a little wet try a 50:1 mixture. I've found that a 40:1 mix works pretty well across the board for all my two strokes, helps when was the last time this engine was run? Is this model water-cooled or air cooled? Air cooled engines will run a little hotter so I preffer to run them a little "wetter" than water cooled ones. If its water cooled and hasn’t been run for several years I'd look at changing the water pump impeller rubber and the lower unit lube. Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
18,470 Posts
I think you're right Burksee. I'm currently running a '61 Evinrude 40. When I started using it, I was running 24:1 as per specs. But you're right, it smoked like hell. Last season I switched to a good quality 2 cycle and ran 50:1 and it ran fine and not much smoke at all. I think oil technology has changed a little bit since 1961. ;)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The motor is water cooled ,has forward and reverse.
it is all white .
I have been using this motor for a few years just thought i could upgrade to some moderm mixture instead of the 30 weigh.
thanks for the information

·
Administrator
27,079 Posts
Yes the oil of today is much better(better lubricating properies with less oil) especially the synthetics. Years ago when I ran out of 2-cycle oil I used 30w in a pinch.

I had a 64 Johnson which was either 32:1 or 40:1 can't remember.

·
Premium Member
3,049 Posts
yep she should do fine a 50 to 1 mix with a good 2-oil
,,,,,Good answer Burksee!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts