Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to navigate (or view for that matter) to a lat/long gps coordinate using the Astro? It would seem an obvious application, but I can't for the life of me figure it out. Anybody?

I'm seriously considering this unit to be only good for finding marked waypoints, my dog, and my truck. It's application as a stand alone navigator for the truck seems too complicated. Might better get a Nuvi or stick with my VZNavi. :dizzy:

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
What I do is to go to a marked location, then instead of hitting the goto selection, courser up to the lat lon and edit it to the position you want to go to. Then scroll down to the goto button and select it.

I agree that it is not as user friendly for navigation as a "typical" gps.

·
Registered
7,692 Posts
Just get a Nuvi for your truck.
I found myself leaving it in my truck when I took off hunting or it was always back in my vest when I wanted it in the truck cab.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What I do is to go to a marked location, then instead of hitting the goto selection, courser up to the lat lon and edit it to the position you want to go to. Then scroll down to the goto button and select it.

I agree that it is not as user friendly for navigation as a "typical" gps.
But what if I don't have a location marked? For instance, I just downloaded the 2010 KS WIHA maps. I want to view a specific spot on the map. How do I do that?

I'm starting to lean that way. Just grinds me that I need to add another Garmin for navigating. Can you recommend an affordable model that will do what I'm looking for? Something microSD compatible.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
I found myself leaving it in my truck when I took off hunting or it was always back in my vest when I wanted it in the truck cab.
I agree 100% get a nuvi for the tuck and leave the garmin for the dog tracking. That is what I do.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree 100% get a nuvi for the tuck and leave the garmin for the dog tracking. That is what I do.
Can I put the micro SD card into the Nuvi and look at specific spots on that map without navigating to them?

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
But what if I don't have a location marked? For instance, I just downloaded the 2010 KS WIHA maps. I want to view a specific spot on the map. How do I do that?

Open up the map page and cursor to the spot you want to go to, then hit enter. That will bring up the waypoint screen, you can then cursor to goto and hit enter.

. Can you recommend an affordable model that will do what I'm looking for? Something microSD compatible.
I've got a nuvi 1450 or something like that, I like it because it has a big screen that my old lookers can see. It takes micro sd chips, but before my trip to Kansas, I could not figure out hot to make it read the WIHA chip that I had. So I would like to kno how to do that as well.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Damn electronic thingies get frustrating after about 9 pints of Bell's finest!:lol:

I downloaded mapsource topo onto an SD chip for my Nuvi a while back. The nasty part is that the on-board street map and topo maps don't overlay and instead switch from one to the other intermittently while driving if both are selected. If you select the topo map only, you sacrifice some of the street navigation functionality. However, I use the topo map a lot while cruising the two tracks. You can enter GPS coordinates directly into a Nuvi.

Regarding GPS coordinates on the Astro, you may have to do that from your Mapsource Topo software and then download it to a MicroSD card on your Astro.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Damn electronic thingies get frustrating after about 9 pints of Bell's finest!:lol:

I downloaded mapsource topo onto an SD chip for my Nuvi a while back. The nasty part is that the on-board street map and topo maps don't overlay and instead switch from one to the other intermittently while driving if both are selected. If you select the topo map only, you sacrifice some of the street navigation functionality. However, I use the topo map a lot while cruising the two tracks. You can enter GPS coordinates directly into a Nuvi.

Regarding GPS coordinates on the Astro, you may have to do that from your Mapsource Topo software and then download it to a MicroSD card on your Astro.

I will have you know that I gave up drinking. Been sober for almost 24 hours now. :D With no hopes of maintaining my sobriety around the campfire in KS. Hell, I will need the brown liquid just to keep warm.

Thanks for confirming that I can put in GPS coordinates directly into the Nuvi and that I can look at only one map at a time i.e. the 2010 WIHA Atlas without having it cluttered with the canned maps it comes with.

I'm ditching the idea of using the Astro as a navigator. The thing sucks for that. I guess it will be relegated to an expensive dog/truck/covey locator.

Is there a Nuvi model that is superior to another? I gotta get one quick, as in tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ditched the Astro and bought a Garmin Nuvi 1400. Even managed to find it on sale at BestBuy! Downloaded the WIHA maps in a matter of minutes and was off and running. Super cool. Having these areas marked (KS supplies the GPS coords) for every WIHA area) is going to make finding huntable areas FAR more enjoyable. Thanks all!

·
Registered
6,757 Posts
Mike, I spoke with Garmin about this same problem today. Their solution was to simply turn off the CN map when you're off roading/scouting. Apparently the two maps weren't designed to overlay and the CN map overrides the Topo. They also recommended switching to "offroad" or "bicycle" mode when you're on the two-tracks.

I have the Nuvi 265W and it was doing some weird stuff with CN and Mapsource both enabled. I didn't get topo lines or public land, but I did get the extra cemeteries, schools, churches, etc included in Mapsource.

It's kind of a pain to have to manually switch back and forth, but when three clicks of a touch screen is an inconvenience, I figure I'm living the good life!

KW

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Same thing I found KW. Use the CN map to get to the general area, and then switch over to the specialized map (WIHA in this case). Really was slicker than snot. Well, at least until you tried to find a gas station or such without realizing that you had not switched back to CN maps. :mad:

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Mike, I spoke with Garmin about this same problem today. Their solution was to simply turn off the CN map when you're off roading/scouting. Apparently the two maps weren't designed to overlay and the CN map overrides the Topo. They also recommended switching to "offroad" or "bicycle" mode when you're on the two-tracks.

I have the Nuvi 265W and it was doing some weird stuff with CN and Mapsource both enabled. I didn't get topo lines or public land, but I did get the extra cemeteries, schools, churches, etc included in Mapsource.

It's kind of a pain to have to manually switch back and forth, but when three clicks of a touch screen is an inconvenience, I figure I'm living the good life!

KW
Thanks Kevin, I suspected that. One thing that I hadn't thought of is switching to off-road or bicycle mode when running the two tracks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts