Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I'm a new homeowner and trying to get some guidance for a first time gardener. Our property sits on 5.5 acres with a lake on the back of the property. Soil is very dark and seems to be incredibly nutrient-rich. I am now trying to figure out where to create the garden, how big, and what I want to plant in it. We want a widespread of fruits and vegetables. We have wild blackberries growing on the property already and I planted two apple trees recently. Any advice on what will grow best in this environment (Michigan) and what should be planted and when? Thanks!

**Mods sorry I wasn't sure where to put this thread but I trust my fellow hunters so place it where needed.

·
Registered
35,620 Posts
Take a trip to your local NRCS office and pick up a soils map along with the index that goes with it. Take a soil sample and send it in. Michigan State extension offices or even biological will provide you the results for a small fee.

Apple and pear trees are a good start for fruit bearing. Plant multiple tree so you get fruit. Hard mast bearing trees like oaks and chestnut would be a nice addition.

Garden vegetables are easy to grow.
Sweet corn, onions, radish, garlic, tomatoes, raspberries, beans, potatoes, squash and horseradish grow well in my garden.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
As was mentioned you can pretty much grow anything. It can be as easy as saving seeds from your next meal. If you buy green onions cut The parts you need and stick the rest in the ground.
A lot of food plants will grow back. Find a garden guide for more specific plants

·
Registered
8,196 Posts
Good advice above by getting your soil tested. Obviously you are going to want to make sure you plant next year in an area that gets full sun for things like tomatoes and peppers. You may want to till the area this fall and grind in some good old manure for fertilizer. My garden is just about done, I got disease and also the deer raided a few times. And the critters, make sure you build a fence to keep them out the best you can. If you plant berry bushes you will want to put up some mesh nets as the birds will eat them constantly. Good luck, I love to garden.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
start at your local garden center. they probably have someone that for a small fee will come out , test soil, look at light and water sources, talk with you and come up with a practicle and attractive game plan that you can then run with.
for example they may recomend starting with some perenials as a base. some shrubs, some fruit trees ,vines or bushes.
then point to the best place for your veggie garden and some good ideas as to what will do best in your soil.
this costs a little, but then you have a blue print to work from and can add to your ladnscape year by year untill you have exactly what you want.
sometimes the best tool in your toolbox, is your checkbook.
oh,,,,plant rhubarb,,,,nobody doesn't like rhubarb pie.
:fish:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts