Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
6,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently reorganizing my garage and thought it would be cool to see what other MS members have come up with. Specifically, work bench set ups, shelves, air compressor/hose reals, etc.

Personally, I don't need any specialized set up (for one activity), just general use set ups but all ideas are welcome. The cooler and more imaginative the better, lol. Pics please. Thanks in advance and sorry if there is an existing old thread that I didn't find.

·
Registered
6,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Made the whole wall of the left side of the garage into shelves. Can’t remember but I think 16 or 18” deep, 24” shelf to shelf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
My father did something similar to this.

·
Premium Member
11,402 Posts
To the OP I would have insulated the walls before you added anything. I know now you may think you do not need it but if you are like me you will kick yourself later when you find out you wanted it for a different purpose. Now on mine I have 1 1/5 foam in betwen the stringers and then I added studding to make the walls flat and added another 6 inch batt between the post
to make the the walls flat. I covered all this with 1 inch thick boards then I put the shelves back up. Another thing id run air lines along the wall

·
Registered
10,089 Posts
I came up with only one photo, apologies.

One basement, I had shelves from plywood and 2x4s like d_rek

One garage, I had genuine library shelves. The previous owner worked at a local university and got them in an employee sale.

One garage, I built a workbench and shelf system from 2x4s and plywood. Work surface was deeper than a kitchen counter, and 8' long. Bottom shelf was 4" above the floor. Middle shelf was roughly 5' off the floor, and less deep than the workbench. The top shelf was a bit higher, and fit under an 8' ceiling. Pegboard at the workbench level.

Here is a photo from 2003, of the workbench with pegboard. I don't have a wider photo of the entire unit.

Wood Art Urban design Toy Machine

·
Registered
6,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To the OP I would have insulated the walls before you added anything.
I believe you are talking to A.M. General? He was the first response, not the OP.
I actually Insulated mine in a very similar manner as you describe. A foil foam between the stringers and studded with 2×6s and batted.

·
Registered
37,405 Posts
I built a roll around bench with a bowling alley lane top.

Table Furniture Plant Tire Chair

I also built a 12’ work bench with another piece of bowling alley lane. It would have been too deep full width so I ripped it length wise and used the cut off for a shelf.

Wood Floor Flooring Wood stain Hardwood

·
Registered
6,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I built a roll around bench with a bowling alley lane top.

View attachment 490775

I also built a 12’ work bench with another piece of bowling alley lane. It would have been too deep full width so I ripped it length wise and used the cut off for a shelf.

View attachment 490773
I built a roll around bench out of an existing work bench but didn’t think about the added 5” the casters would raise it up so now I have a very tall work bench. I thought it was stupid at first and was going to cut the legs shorter but then I used it and since I am 6’4” it is very nice not to have to bend down to work on smaller projects. A happy mistake. I have a lower bench for bigger things.

·
Registered
11,900 Posts
Menards had formica countertops on sale - $10 for 6 footers and maybe $15 for 10 footers. I needed some better work benches anyway so I bought 4 or 5 of them and got to work framing in work benches. These things are rock solid and clean up easy.

All the framing was 2 X 4's and I got 2 top bases out of each sheet of 3/4" plywood. I think I made them 23 1/2" as the countertops are 24". I glued the formica tops to the plywood and I think I shot a few screws into it as well from the bottom. The bottom shelf is high enough off of the floor that I can sweep under it fairly easily and/or store things under the bench if needed.

Table Wood Window Flooring Floor

One of them turned into a gun cleaning/shooting gear bench in the man cave...

Flag Cabinetry Wood Gas Audio equipment

A 10 foot formica top turned into my reloading bench. I bought some unfinished cabinets at Home Depot and my wife stained and varnished them for me. I used 3/4" plywood as a base for the top again and glued the formica top to it. The upper cabinets came unfinished from Home Depot as well and I just cut some oak boards to length for the shelves. Instead of peg board I ordered some metal Wall Control panels for the back wall.

Furniture Shelf Blue Green Shelving

I also built one for the Buck Pole/Skinning shed in the lean-to of the barn...

Wood Grey Fawn Tail Ceiling

Once again....rock solid and easy to clean up.

·
Super Moderator
27,704 Posts
This is just half of the garage. The other half has a couple more cabinets, shelves and floor storage (refrigerator, table saw, portable generator, couple of shanties) Let me add this is my new garage. Had a fire March 2017. Old garage was a mix and match of old kitchen cabinets and odd ball work benches and shelves.

Furniture Cabinetry Shelf Home appliance Shelving
Automotive design Tool cabinet Service Cabinetry Machine
Waste container Automotive design Interior design Floor Flooring

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
11,900 Posts
When I stated on my "Man Cave" - the "Situation Room", I decided to just go ahead and insulate the entire pole barn. While it was an expensive project I have zero regrets and would do it again without thought. Even without any heat source (there is a wood stove in the man cave), the snow melts off of our vehicles overnight and bottled water never even gets any "slush" in it - even at 20 below zero. It is really amazing how warm it stays.

I used metal panels around 3/4 of the interior but used plywood panels around the outside of the man cave and one outside wall as I knew I wanted to "hang" a lot of things on those walls.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Wood

The staircase leads to a cold storage area above the man cave.

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Wood Automotive tire

Insulation is your friend - especially in the U.P. I forget what the "R" value of this stuff is but it is designed for the 6" walls in pole buildings. I bought it in rolls - 8' X 50' and then cut it into 24 inch wide sections. I framed the walls on 24" centers so it worked fairly well and saved me a little money. In retrospect, after I started hanging things on the walls I wished that I had framed them on 16" centers as I've had to use a lot of hollow wall anchors where I can't get into studs.

Wood Flooring Floor Gas Hardwood

Shelves are your friends too. These are 24" deep and I got 16 feet of shelving out of each sheet of 1/2" OSB. I can also store things (like my power washer, air compressor, portable generator, 33 gallon trash cans with maple syrup equipment, etc) underneath the bottom shelf. These are rock solid and aren't going anyplace either.

Shelving Wood Shelf Fixture Floor

I have posted many photos of the "Situation Room" over the years. Here is what it looked like before I started installing "stuff" and hanging deer antlers - air tight and well-insulated.

Fixture Ladder Flooring Floor Hall

·
Registered
5,629 Posts
Lol not to tease but the picture says r-19 right on your batts...

OSB vs Ply for shelving... I think I got 1/2" sheathing cheaper than OSB when I made my shelves. I also preferred the smoother surface of the sheathing VS the OSB.

Now I remember the depth I cut them too: 16". I had them ripped lengthwise at the yard to save me the trouble of doing it myself. This way I could get three 96x16 shelves out of each sheet. I think I only needed two sheets of 1/2" sheathing. May have used a little scrap I had laying around too.

·
Registered
11,900 Posts
Lol not to tease but the picture says r-19 right on your batts...
Ha Ha - Not to overstate the obvious D_rek, but I was referring to the 8' rolls of insulation - not the batts. These rolls didn't have any paper or printing on them. 50 feet long and 8 feet wide with nothing stating the R-Value.

Waste container Building Wood Flooring Floor

I know a lot of the time it looks like I'm losing it, but I actually knew what I was talking about this time...I think :)

Reactions: d_rek
1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.