Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a brand new $160 paid of Gander Mountain Guide Series breathable waders on 7/28. I have used them about 10 times in the last month or so. I try to be careful and haven't hooked them or jabbed and sharpe rocks or sticks at all. I noticed this past weekend that they have a small leak. I took them back to GM yesterday to see if I can exchange them.

They look brand new still and I have the recipt and original box. They have a return policy of 30 days on damaged waders. I bought mine, as of yesterday, 36 days ago. I would think that they would last more than 5 weeks. I tried to explain my situation to the 18 year old girl working the desk. She kept explaining the policy to me. She called a manager up and the same deal. We are talking about 6 days here! Not six months!!! I left very upset, with leaky waders. I am sure I can patch them but that isn't the point!

I got on the GM web and emailed them and got a response very similar to what I got at the store. Here in Travese City we have a MC Sports that I really don't go to all that much, but after this I will for ALL my sports needs. I spend about 1k a year on hunting/fishing gear and they just lost out on that! I understand policy is policy but I was treated poorly and they should have exchanged the faulty waders.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Ouch, that sucks...I have been there....
That is why I won't purchase ANY equipment with GM or Cabelas name on it. It is better to spend a few extra dollers and get gear that the manufacture will stand behind.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I am in a similar situation at Jay's. I put them on, walked in the water and got wet. I bought them at their sidewalk sale. They said there is a no return policy on that merchandise. I explained that "no return" should not mean "no warranty". They were kind enough to send the waders back to Hodgman's for repair. They could not exchange them because the ones I bought were not normally stocked. It is still pending whether or not Jay's will ruin our relationship over $50.

·
Premium Member
7,269 Posts
Yup guys that does suck, but you knew their policy when you bought the item. And now you are suprised when they stick by it?

Is there another way you can deal with the warranty other than through the storefront?

BTW, Halfpast Hodgeman does warranty all of their waders... you just have to go through them. Jays did you a favor sending them back for you.

·
Registered
771 Posts
That is why I won't purchase ANY equipment with GM or Cabelas name on it. It is better to spend a few extra dollers and get gear that the manufacture will stand behind.
I won't buy GM waders but I love cabelas and their warranty. I have a pair of breathables from cabelas that i beat the crap out of and have returned for a new pair 4 times in the last 3years with no questions asked. Good luck finding another company standing behind a pair of waders like that, other than maybe simms or pategonia, but then again they charge you $500+ for a pair.

·
Registered
8,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yup guys that does suck, but you knew their policy when you bought the item. And now you are suprised when they stick by it?

Is there another way you can deal with the warranty other than through the storefront?

BTW, Halfpast Hodgeman does warranty all of their waders... you just have to go through them. Jays did you a favor sending them back for you.
I was venting my frustration, not looking for a you get what you get go read the fine print, blah blah. As mentioned the waders we 6 days past the 30 day exhange. They lost my buisness. How hard would it have been for the manager to exhange them and send them back.

·
Registered
10,711 Posts
down here whenever i return anything to Gander they never ask for a reciept or any questions at all. return and get a new one...

·
Registered
497 Posts
That's why I shop at Cabela's. Nice and impersonal. They just make the exchange. No one has to get authority from "the manager".

·
Premium Member
7,269 Posts
Is there a warranty on the waders though? I understand within 30 days you can exchange them, but can you send them back to have them fixed?

Like I said, it sucks. But it is the policy.

Me personally I bought Simms, any problems I send them back to them and for a small fee they take care of it.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
I was venting my frustration, not looking for a you get what you get go read the fine print, blah blah. As mentioned the waders we 6 days past the 30 day exhange. They lost my buisness. How hard would it have been for the manager to exhange them and send them back.
Easy fix.Just have a buddy go buy a pair for you and take the old ones back ;).And tell them you want your money back.I would not bother with a store that counts 6 days :sad:.Reason i shop at Calbelas.Its nice to know they have a lifetime deal on there stuff.Never a problem ever with them no matter how old,Mich

·
Registered
350 Posts
Fish Eye is right. I don't like Cabelas that much, but I bought a pair of their waders, they leaked, they exchanged them after a year, got a brand new pair, they leaked, took them back months later, they gave me the money for the original price, then I bought some Simms G3 and added another 100 to the to the refund and haven't had a problem since.

Cabelas employees don't really care, they just can't wait to get off work.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts

·
Registered
20,131 Posts
I'm not sure what kind of experiences you've had with Cabela's,, as far as return policies,, they don't get any more lenient then Cabela's. My dad took a pair of 15 yr. old waders back there. No receipt, no nothin',,, they took 'em back no questions asked. (exchanged 'em anyways). Cabela's is buy far the best for returning stuff.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Sorry to hear the bad exchange and customer service stories. I've had great luck at the Lansing Gdr Mtn, they've taken back 3 pairs of my waders with no questions asked. I haven't done it in 2 yrs so maybe they've changed their policy but they are always reasonable and they see me like 3 times a week over lunch break escaping for a sanity check.

Here's an outside tip - when you buy something ask for the "last sale price" sometimes they'll give it to you. It's the price the item was at the last time it was on sale. Just for asking I got 15% a Gdr Mtn rod from a sale that was a month past, not too shabby.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I just got off the phone with Jay's. My new waders are waiting to be picked up. Looks like they will keep cashing my checks on regular basis. Thanks to the guys in their fishing dept. Great deal, great service.:D

·
Registered
22 Posts
i work at the gander mountain in grandville and if its a guide series wader we will swap them out no matter how old they are. Next time ur in grand rapids area bring em in and we'll take care of you.

·
Registered
8,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes they are Guide Series. I wonder why I was hassled in the TC store. I will be in the GR area in the next few weeks and will stop in. Thanks!

·
Registered
924 Posts
Good Day,

In my early years when in retail, I would always break "policy" to keep the customer happy. I knew better. There is an old saying in retail, make a customer mad, and 100 people will hear about it. What ever it took to keep the customer happy, within reason of course.

Steelie

1 - 20 of 27 Posts