Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to add a mapping unit to my boat. Don't have a lot of dash space so I am considering the 76c unit. I currently have a 72, which is the exact same casing... so I already have the power cord and dash mount for a 76. Just wondering how easy or difficult (and how much $$) it is to download maps to this unit. I would be putting inland lakes and maybe Lake Michigan on it.

Mike

·
Michimaniac
4,542 Posts
don't make the 76C anymore. Newer version is the 76Cx. I own the 76 Cx, 76CSx, 60Cx, and the 72--all great units, but the 72 is not a mapping unit. For Garmins they have the largest screens for handhelds, but you might find them a little small for dashmounts. All but the 60Cx will float, and all are water resistant!!

I have my 76Cx on the front dash of my truck 99% of the time. You'll need a mounting base (I use the beanbag type as it is not permanant and it does stay in place--can take the whole unit out and set it in my boat) $30, a bracket to support the holder $19, and a holder to set the unit in $25.

If you purchase the 76Cx you'll get a USB cord and the MapSource CD (software to allow you to manage your waypoints and download custon maps to the removeable memory (comes with 64mb card I believe, but you can use up to a 1 gb card with no porblems). The cards that come with the unit do not hold a lot of mapped area. For example I have TOPO maps of the the whole state of Michigan, upper Ohio and Indiania, Northern Illinois, Eastern Wisconson, NE Minnesota, and about 1/3 of Ontario on a single 512mb card (and it is full).

I can provide you some links to the accessories if you want them--if you buy from Garmin direct, be prepared to pay a litle more.

You have to either buy the map CD of your choice ($100), or you can buy the preloaded cards for you area (save you having to use your computer. The CD will let you customize the specific areas of the map you want to upload to your unit. You can load different areas/maps to different cards and pop them in and out as needed.

Steve

1 - 3 of 3 Posts