Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering ,do you hunt for them all spring and summer
or do the crops make it to harder to see them in later summer!

Would like and try and hunt them this year!
Gonna try and plan a trip downstate some time after turkey season!!

Thanks

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I saw a monster one today while I was looking for turkey sign....he stayed out of his hole for quite a long time just watching me...

·
Registered
45 Posts
I like hunting them in the early spring. They are out even before the snow disappears and are easy to see because there is minimal vegetation. As the grasses and crops grow the first cutting of hay exposes a few. Find the right field and they look like dominos.

Have an accurate rifle, shotgun, and .22lr along. Landowners are happy to let you rid them of these pests and will often give me a list of locations to watch.

I have an article going into Woods and Water May issue on that subject. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
When I have the opportunity, I hunt them as long as they aren't hibernating. I don't do the long distance shooting that many on here seem to prefer though. I use spot and stalk techniques with either my bow or a 20ga. Once in a great, great while I'll pull out the .22lr.

The slowest time of the year is definately during the dog days of summer. Unless you get out early morning or right before dark, it's generally so hot that they just don't seem to come out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts