Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Not that I am the "post police", but I have noticed quite a few pics on here with the tag wrapped and stuck on the antlers?

Tagging Big Game and Furbearers
[SIZE=-1]Immediately after killing a deer, bear, elk or turkey, you must validate your kill tag and fasten it to the antler, lower jaw or lower leg in such a manner that the tag remains securely attached to the animal. Do not stick or wrap the kill tag to the antler of a deer or to the leg of a turkey. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]I found that keeping a zip tie in my pack works great. Fold the tag over and zip it on.

[/SIZE]

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Meijer had a card that you stick your tag to that has a hole in it already so all you need is a zip tie or string to tie tou your deer

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Those backing tags, hand a tendacy to break off on the ride home, with deer in bed of truck. Nice getting home, with an untagged deer, when you left with a tagged buck.

I'll stick to wrapping it on the antler, and sticking to itself.

·
Registered
15,184 Posts
Those backing tags, hand a tendacy to break off on the ride home, with deer in bed of truck. Nice getting home, with an untagged deer, when you left with a tagged buck.

I'll stick to wrapping it on the antler, and sticking to itself.
:yeahthat: It happend to me. Got lucky and the tag stayed in the truck bed.

·
Registered
320 Posts
A good idea would be to use old large luggage tags. Slip your tag in that then zip tie it to your deer. Just my 2 cents.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
797 Posts
Meijer had a card that you stick your tag to that has a hole in it already so all you need is a zip tie or string to tie tou your deer
I think legally that is the way you are supposed to tag a deer. That is why they made the tag backer. When you find them take a few, they are free I think. Then after the year is through, take the tag off the backer and use it again and again and again...............

·
Registered
264 Posts
How about they supply us with materials to do the Job right and Not half-A**, or maybe they do supply us half a** to make more money in the end when our tag blows/breaks off and they bust us. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I like the convenience of wrapping it around the antler and letting the adhesive hold it, and, at lunch today I had my deer head aged with the tag wrapped aruond in in that manner and asked, and the DNR officer assured me no CO he knows would object. So to each his own!

·
Registered
5,389 Posts
I don the same thing. Fold the tag over the zip tie then zip it to the base of the antler or i cut a slit in the ear of a doe and zip it through that like an earing.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
I drag my deer threw lots of nasty thick crap, brush and green briers (god I hate those green briers!). The only way a tag stays on is to tie it and wrap it on the front leg tendon on the lower part. I use parachute cord and lay the cord into the creace of the tag and fold it over and stick. Then I put the front legs along the deers head and tie the drag rope around the legs and head. This way the deer drags easy.

Doing this I never had a tag fall off and if it needs to be checked I just unwrap it and the tag is easy to read.

On the antler I have had them get ripped off and the tag backers are a joke. Green briers will destroy those in 50 yards.

·
Registered
20,131 Posts
Always interesting reading the different opinions and ways people do certain things.

IMO, those tag-backers were next to bulletproof, provided you had the sticker tags and not the paper internet tags. Fold it over, notch it, zip tie it, done. That thing wasn't coming off without a pair tin snips to cut the zip tie.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts