Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

FYI fishing show in novi

2837 Views 31 Replies 22 Participants Last post by  Jiggin Jay
Font Material property Poster Parallel Document
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Going this afternoon. I feel my wallet getting lighter now.

Marty
Reactions: J Sibert
Yup, its going to present a great opertunety to get rid of all that old dirty wrinkled money that's taking up space in there! :lol:
Going this afternoon. I feel my wallet getting lighter now.

Marty
Was gonna head out there this morning and beat the usual weekend crowds, but with roads icing up and such, think I'll have to pass on taking any driving chances today. Maybe tomorrow if I feel motivated enough.
I’ll be there tmrw at 11 - first stop - beer wagon lol. Ya know - to deal w the crowd and all.
I went yesterday, it might just be me but, I seemed to be a little lighter on serious fishing displays compared to previous years. They had quite a few booths that were not even fishing related. The boat display area seemed bigger than previous years. With that being said, it was still worth going, after all it is January in MI. I’ll be curious to see everyone else’s opinion on the show.
Agreed 100% very light on fishing booths, I’ll re-share below my opinion from my visit tonight...

Repost: Got home from the fishing “show” around 7pm. Pretty much the exact same as the previous 4 times I’ve gone. They really need to revamp it and change it up a bit.

I did look around at some of the prices for jigs, stingers, rods.
From what I could tell, prices are THE EXACT SAME as if you went to their store fronts. Couldn’t believe the prices I came across for stinger hooks. The average was $3.99 for a 3 pack... are they serious?

I did notice that Domka Outdoors (Monroe, MI) had the fairest prices for jigs, stingers and fin-S/WW’s. Everyone else was normal prices, if not raised a hair.

I think I’m done attending for a while, at least until they change things up, get better vendors and less “wallside windows, gutter salesman, and dog hair remover sales”

I did have a good laugh though, as we were walking around we walked by the seminar stage and there was Lance “the salesman” Valentine doing the exact same routine he’s done the past few times I’ve been. Telling people how there’s only 1 way to hold your rod properly while jigging and buy his products that are the best for the DR and TC that are conveniently located right off stage. [emoji42]

For someone that hasn’t been before, it’s still worth a go. But if you’ve been more than twice the past 5-7 years, I wouldn’t recommend going. It’s the exact same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went yesterday, it might just be me but, I seemed to be a little lighter on serious fishing displays compared to previous years. They had quite a few booths that were not even fishing related. The boat display area seemed bigger than previous years. With that being said, it was still worth going, after all it is January in MI. I’ll be curious to see everyone else’s opinion on the show.
Seems like as a kid when I went to the flint steal headers show and the one at Cobo hall. Those shows had wall to wall of fishing tackle, charters, or taxidermy. Now it’s just wierd stuff and like has been said just retail on the booths that do have tackle. I went to both the outdoor and fishing shows at birch run and was disappointed last year.

Maybe with the internet it has made it so the tackle manufacturers and shops not have to do the shows? I guess a sign of the times.
Reactions: Downsea
Have to agree with the above show comments. I spent a lot of time looking at the boats. Then went and bought a lottery ticket. Everything I liked cost 1.5 time the cost of my first house!!! It was good to be able to do side by side comparison. I always like to hear the boat salesman pitch 'our boat is better then the rest because........'

Marty
That’s where I started shopping for my boat last year. Not true. Started at the metro beach outdoors show last fall. Don’t waste your time if you’re looking for a fishing boat. All pleasure craft. Next stop was the outdoors show and finally pulled the trigger at cobo the boat show.

I agree - the shows are great places to shop and buy boats. The mfg reps are always there too so you can really beat em up for all kinds of extras and discounts. Can’t beat it for boat shopping.

Honestly - after hearing the above and fighting a cold back - gonna pass on the show this year. Appreciate the honest observations.

Stay warm and healthy -
Jim
Agree to most comments, however, they had all the custom warrior lures for 10 bucks on any lure type, that was a solid deal to me. Also franks had dhj12 for 4.00, again very solid price in my book.
Reactions: kisherfisher
Went on Thursday, Zona was great. Picked up several smallmouth tips. Stocked up on beads at D&B Fishing. Picked up 600 yards of Sunline to respool. Added a couple Silver Streaks and Warrier Elite UV flutter spoons for Wheatley. Back Sunday for the Salmon clinic. Good show.
Must have missed the ddhj at franks [emoji30]. That is a good fair deal

Agree to most comments, however, they had all the custom warrior lures for 10 bucks on any lure type, that was a solid deal to me. Also franks had dhj12 for 4.00, again very solid price in my book.
I was surprised to see Thorne Brothers at the show. It was nice to have a dealer at the show selling musky gear but selling them at Cabela's prices was no deal. Other than some crappy food, I didn't buy anything at the show.
Reactions: Jiggin Jay
I use it as a time to see some new products (maybe), and to put my hands on a few things just to see if I might like it. I did see a few deals but it depends on what you are looking to find.

For the most part, I came, I saw, I left. I got my fill of people, and walked away empty handed.
Bloody Mary's at 10 Sunday morning followed at noon by beer and jerky. All while getting my daily walk in. Hahahaha I enjoy checking out all the boats and dreaming of buying one of everything. I will get my annual supply of beads and blades from D&B. I picked up a couple of really productive patterns a couple years ago and can't remember where I got them from so hopefully I will find them at the show. It is what you make of it. And for me it gets me out talking soft water fishing in January. boo-Yaa!!!
Reactions: Double d's
That's what I like, is being able to put your hand on things and seeing it in person....

Most of the shows seem to keep getting more diluted from what their supposed to be about, imo....for whatever reason's....

several years ago we stopped by the fishing show up in Aubern Hills ?....we were right off the ice, lol....and there was a booth with a guy and a kid, no signs or big advertisement's etc....he was selling a (de-hooker)....a simple alum. device that removed hooks from deep hooked panfish....all he had was a tennis ball for showing how it worked.....

I bought 2....and have none today !....they were thee best de-hooker I have ever seen....they were awesome....we have searched and searched and have not come across them since....I would of bought 10 had I known how good they really were ! lol....

I think/feel that the day there are no fishing "shows" would be sad.....I would love to see the quality go up but like said, the internet has changed everything....

will be there tomorrow....cheers....
I use it as a time to see some new products (maybe), and to put my hands on a few things just to see if I might like it. I did see a few deals but it depends on what you are looking to find.

For the most part, I came, I saw, I left. I got my fill of people, and walked away empty handed.
I went Thursday and had great 1st time there.

I am sorry I did not pick up on the $4 husky jerks and not buying some bluegill jigs that I was looking at but forgot to come back to and buy like I told myself I would.
Boat dreaming was very good, I had never seen one of those snowdog tractor thingys. I could see one sitting in my garage and doing nothing most of the time besides giving kids rides and occasional ice fishing hunting trip.
they were cool but a demo outside to let me drive it would have been better.
I felt I got a good deal on some harness blades @ 13 for $12 I bought all cooper (#5 & 6) ......we'll see....I got others. they were at the other end of the isle the DWF was in
,bought a few beads, a buck a pack from fish boned tackle, some quick change clevises
talked with the ohio DNR gals who turned out to be from forestry, huh?
talked to the DWF guys for too long and couldn,t find a hat that felt right on my size 8 head.

I could have spent more than the 4 hours I was there.
I worked at the Warrior Lures booth all day yesterday. It was nice as always talking about walleye trolling but, I had the guys at Warrior put together a 6 pack of my favorite colors of copper blanked spoons for Wheatly / Erieau, between this and talking with Polesetter, talking about trolling spoons for steelhead was GREATLY increased yesterday compared to years past. It was a great day ! I will be at the Warrior Lures booth today until about 12;30 and I am about 90 percent sure that I am going to hit the meet and greet .
I bought one of those Wheatly kits. they look good. Thank you
I worked at the Warrior Lures booth all day yesterday. It was nice as always talking about walleye trolling but, I had the guys at Warrior put together a 6 pack of my favorite colors of copper blanked spoons for Wheatly / Erieau, between this and talking with Polesetter, talking about trolling spoons for steelhead was GREATLY increased yesterday compared to years past. It was a great day ! I will be at the Warrior Lures booth today until about 12;30 and I am about 90 percent sure that I am going to hit the meet and greet .
Reactions: Hot Bite
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.