Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Just to balance this out a little. A little reading seems to reveal that not even in the Ohio cases reported in Aug. & Sept. has it been confirmed that it was the circovirus in all cases, at least according to AVMA.

https://www.avma.org/KB/Resources/Pages/Circovirus-in-Dogs-Frequently-Asked-Questions.aspx

As a result I would hope we as "dog folks" would encourage responsible and factual reporting. Are there cases of circovirus in Ohio and Michigan? Likely, but testing has not been completed to confirm that in any cases as of yet. Should dog owners take appropriate precautions as recommended by AVMA and other reputable sources? Absolutely. Do dog owners need to educate themselves about circovirus that has been around for over 30 years in other animals (birds & pigs) and now in dogs? I sure hope so!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Confirmed

If you read the link I posted early from the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) you will have seen that several dogs test positive as carriers although they are completely healthy which the link you provided suggests has happened in tested dogs in Michigan. What has not been confirmed by the department of agriculture in the Michigan suspected cases is whether they test positive. I note that this site has now been updated by AVMA to include the Michigan situation and they are also now reporting that in the Ohio cases circo virus has been definitively ruled OUT as the cause of death in the sick dogs there even though one of the sick dogs had earlier tested positive.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts