Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ANyone hae a recipe for a Fuzz Buster? I believe it was first tied by Bear Andrews? Ever hear of it?

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Great pattern, named after Miles Chance's dog Dusty. I have seen it tied dozens of ways. I think if you google MFF bear fuzzbuster you should find it.

2x nymph hook
tail- marabou base feathers from base of hen hackle or pheasant
wingcase- flex coated pheasant strip
Mono eyes
abdomen- dubbed color of hackle with optional wire
Thorax- hen hackle
legs- pheasant fiber tips

This is what I use to tie- the actual recipe is close but maybe not identical.
Best tied in Tan, Black and rust.
http://www.mwfly.com/pages/archivec3.html

Link to recipe by bear

·
Registered
163 Posts
SAW IT AN IT DOESNT LOOK LIKE A BEGINERS FLY TO TIE kinda complilicated just goin by the pic of it
I think id need some oversite while tryng to tie it

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I either don't have an understanding of "Hen Hackle" or I am doing somethign wrong. My legs (the hen hackle protion) looks very sparse and way too stiff. Could someone give me a description of the hackel I am supposed to use? PLease.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
hen hackle is more oval shapped and webbier than rooster hackle...

for example:

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks...when I look at your pic...is all of that the "feather" that I would use. Which specific feather I use, depends on the size of fly/hook I am using?

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Thanks...when I look at your pic...is all of that the "feather" that I would use. Which specific feather I use, depends on the size of fly/hook I am using?
On a Brahma hen, like the one shown, you would use the feathers closer to the neck. The brahma hen is a great neck for soft hackle style flies.
A chinese hen neck would likely have more feathers suitable for the Fuzz buster thorax. Hen feathers are softer than dry fly hackle, therefore will not keep your fly sticking in the film.

I would buy a hen neck at the shop if possible, the size of hen feathers vary dramatically.
An economy saddle from Hareline would work well also. It has long narrow feathers of sub dry fly grade. You could use this saddle for palmering buggers, palmering terrestrials, and other uses such as the fuzz buster. It also has a huge size selection, from about a 14 to a 4

1 - 8 of 8 Posts