Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if the sponsers of some of the bigger Huron events are going to be able to justify monies going out with such a large number of fisherman heading to the fabled waters of Lake MI. Alpena and the Oscoda tournament were all missing some alot of the usual participants, the Harrisville tournament was also down but not by many.
With the large migration of fisherman over to the left side are there going to be enough boats to justify having tournaments. I know there are going to be the small core of guys that stay but having 20-25 boats where there used to be 100 has got to be tough. Hopefully the Salmon return to Huron soon!

·
Super Moderator
20,759 Posts
Many of the marinas are suffering from a drastic decline of seasonal and transient boaters. Many ports such as Harbor Beach and Oscoda relied on the Salmon fleet to keep them solvent. Years of ongoing dredging operations have put many marinas in the red.

Prime example. I just received a letter from Harbor Beach. Mind you, I haven't slipped there for 4 seasons. One of the marinas (LSC) called me last Friday to create awareness about their 25% reduction in slip fees. That's a huge discount

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
God I hope things can turn around here on the East Side, not only for the sake of our fishermen, but for those who run businesses, marina's, etc that really rely on boat traffic coming in and out of our ports...maybe this year will start the turnaround with the mild winter and bait fish seen swimming around...

·
Super Moderator
20,759 Posts
Ron never mentioned prices. He said he was updating his database. (Probably prospecting) I know they spent a small fortune on dredging a few years back and it mentioned additional dredging.

·
Super Moderator
3,182 Posts
Lake Huron tourneys will suffer until the salmon make a comeback. It's just that plain and simple unfortunately. Last year, the thumb ports were just short of being ghost towns. The majority of big lake fisherman just won't haul their boats to a lake to catch lakers.

Huron is not a dead lake by the way. Last year, we caught plenty of silvers along with the trout. Lots of chunky 3-4# cohos along with a few steel and small kings. We had some really nice days on the lake in early June.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Fletch09 said:
The Blue Water Classic is still a go.
That is right!! 22 years in a row.
http://www.bluewaterclassic.com/

Look for our ad in the Michigan Steelhead newspaper at the sportshows.

With the 12 fish (9 of one species) rule, this is the best chance anyone has at grabbing $10,000. Just look how close the top ten were last year:
http://www.bluewaterclassic.com/top10.html

Prizes for Top 10, Big Fish Catagories, Port Prizes, and new this year will be the Calcutta and Big King Jackpots. (Calcutta and Jackpot require additional entry)

http://www.bluewaterclassic.com/

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
:tsk: :protest_e :coco: :dizzy:

What you talking about? There are only lakers & Sheapshead in Lake Huron.... the only silver I saw was when my pocket flipped over and I dumped some quarters on the floor.

:bowdown:were not worthy. LOL
Ben

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
At least there is a fall back of sorts with the nearshore walleye fishery around the thumb, plus the laker haven. There is also a brown trout population out there with large wallhanger fish, but since they are hard to find in summer, people don't fish for them.

Be thankful for what we on the east side do have.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
BallsRdragn said:
:tsk: :protest_e :coco: :dizzy:
Sheapshead in Lake Huron.... the only silver

All hail the sheephead, the new silver of Lake huron.:yikes: :yikes: :xzicon_sm

·
Banned
9,792 Posts
The crew and the boat I fished last year had some pretty good days out on that lake from Mothersday weekend till August or so catching alot of silvers and chromes.The light traffic was great to get the experience with big lake salmon fishing.As for whats going to be here this year, well its hard to make any predictions at this point.I know that the last 2 years in the spring showed a high number of jack salmon present in the st clair river so there should be a large number of 2-3 year olds this year IF they didnt swim to the other side.I know the fall showed an unexpected good return of some large healthy fish which maybe they just migrated back from the otherside after feeding on lake michigan alewives because they were born here.The spring migration of Huron salmon begins in the st clair river where I do alot of fishing.So when they start this should tell me alot not only with the salmon but with alewives also which run during smelt dipping season.I will report my findings when things start to happen later in the spring and will post reports of it.Huron is not going to have large populations of salmon for a while because off all the cutbacks in salmon planting.I highly doubt it will ever see a return back to the pre 2002 salmon fishing era when there used to be 25-35lbers caught.I think people would be dreaming if they ever imagine this happening anytime soon.Remember this lakes ecosystem has changed drasticaly from what it once was and while the bait is making a come back its not anything close or even expected to be close to what it was before the crash.As for the crew I fished with last year,they are fishing the bluewater classic on the eastside then moving out west afterwards.My outlook for future salmon tourneys on this lake isnt very positive sad to say.Whos going to spend $2.50-$3.00 a gallon to fill up their boat to fish here when you get more bang for your buck on the westside.
Aaron

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We got some really nice siver in the month of October. They werent the huge returners that we used to see but actual silver in the 8-13lb class. I need to get my Bro to post the Pics.
Other than October the Kings were very hit and miss. 1-3 per trip and that is if we were lucky. Didnt see the stellhead that we had the year before, fished the daylights out of them but nothing to depend on. Lets keep our fingers crossed!!

·
Registered
793 Posts
Fletch09 said:
I haven't heard anything on the MSSC. Maybe "Bite me Too" can fill us in on that one.
Fletch, Not sure! :confused:

We havn't had a meeting since the tournament last year (or maybe I just was NOT invited!!!!!)! I will let everyone know when I hear.

Jeff- BMT

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Im pretty bummed to hear that the GLPAA wont be on huron this coming year. I thought last years tourney was a great event even though i didnt actually fish it.

I keep hoping that things turn around as quickly as they crashed. 2001 was our best year. The first couple months of 2002 were pure mayham and limits were easy in a couple hours. The since the second half of 2002 its been a ghost town in terms of silver. I will admit the king fishing isnt great, but if people target the right water there are still fish to be caught. As mentioned before decent amounts of coho, steelies, browns and walleye can be picked up if the right water is targeted.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Not going to get into the history of the lake but we will do just fine this year and there will be the fish around. We just have to find them and that could be the problem. We had East wind for two days at PI this year in late August and the kings showed up and they were healthy not big. (I still think its genetics on that part) but want do I know. You can't convince me that all the Kings came around from Lake Michigan in two days on East Wind and these fish stayed in close until Mid-Sept and were full of smelt as some of you know that I sent e-mail photos. I'm really disappointed in the tournaments bailing especially the GLPAA at the Thumb I thought they had a great turn out for 1st one like that there. Jeremy if you read this you have right Idea lots of other types besides kings that you have found; (Browns and Steelhead). Probably biggest problem in our area is that everyone has GPS and runs to wreck or structure that they caught kings before and don't do any looking. I know price of gas and lure of Lake Michigan and we lose people. I guess I will be in Lake Huron until they pry my cold dead hands from the steering wheel or downrigger! Brown Trout is changing rules and I think if they go though with them if will be well received. Have a great Jan and Feb. Capt Ed

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Im with you Ed, I love to catch Kings but I feel very fortunate to be here in Northeast Mi. I just hate to see the people leave for greener pastures. Lots of friends have left for the west but Im going to stick it out and try to get better at the other game fish that are available. I dont blame them at all, just hope that the fishing improves enough to get the natives back.

PS I LOVE Browns!!!

·
Team Yukon
4,872 Posts
Ed, the reason for the GLPAA pulling out this year was do to Family obligations by the GLPAA staff, and they were only going to be able to run one tourney this year. Of course, Frankfort got the nod. Hopefully they will return in 07 to the thumb. Be interesting to see what the BT committee comes up with for this year. Tell Pauly and Phil I said Hi. Later

1 - 20 of 27 Posts