Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just switched over from normal saboted bullets to these bullet to bore rounds from fury. I'm using the 285 grain ones that they recommended for my knight MK85. I'm using regular 209 primer and triple 7 50 grain pellets.
I've experimented with 100 and 150 grains of powder out to 100 yards. However the bullets consistently hit the target sideways. Even at 30 yards. No matter the powder charge of distance. Would anyone have any idea why.?
I figured with them hitting the paper sideways, they'd be all over the target. granted it's not a once inch group at a hundred yards but it's still holding a 3 inch group, which shocked me, since the flight would seem very unstable. The impression in the log as well as the paper shows a perfect sideways profile.

Font Wood Jewellery Cone Eyewear

·
Registered
37,056 Posts
Are you using a spin jag to seat the bullet on the powder charge?

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you using a spin jag to seat the bullet on the powder charge?
just pushing the bullet down with the original ramrod that came with the ML.
It has a concave brass cap on the end

·
Registered
37,056 Posts
That could be your issue. The bullet may not be aligned with the center of your bore. Aligning Bullets is critical.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That could be your issue. The bullet may not be aligned with the center of your bore. Aligning Bullets is critical.
I'll pick one of those up and give it a whirl. Thank-you for your suggestion

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
I just switched over from normal saboted bullets to these bullet to bore rounds from fury. I'm using the 285 grain ones that they recommended for my knight MK85. I'm using regular 209 primer and triple 7 50 grain pellets.
I've experimented with 100 and 150 grains of powder out to 100 yards. However the bullets consistently hit the target sideways. Even at 30 yards. No matter the powder charge of distance. Would anyone have any idea why.?
I figured with them hitting the paper sideways, they'd be all over the target. granted it's not a once inch group at a hundred yards but it's still holding a 3 inch group, which shocked me, since the flight would seem very unstable. The impression in the log as well as the paper shows a perfect sideways profile.

View attachment 791516
Could be the twist of your barrel. Over the course of knights MK85 years, 4 different barrel makers made barrels for those rifles. Wiseman, Walther/Lother, Green Mountain and McMillan were the 4 barrel makers. All but McMillan offered the 28/1 twist barrel for the MK85. McMillan made the 32" twist I believe. Munich made a custom 48" twist but special order only. The latest has been Green Mountain.That bullet needs at least a 28 twist barrel. That could be your problem. If the twist is too slow, your bullet could be tumbling. Could be that rifle got the 32" twist barrel that was offered in that model rifle. The real old MK85s we're offered in that custom 48" twist barrel. That fury 285 looks to have a short bearing surface requiring a faster twist barrel. Most muzzleloading bullet have more bearing surface allowing them to get by with a slow twist barrel.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Could be the twist of your barrel. Over the course of knights MK85 years, 4 different barrel makers made barrels for those rifles. Wiseman, Walther/Lother, Green Mountain and McMillan were the 4 barrel makers. All but McMillan offered the 28/1 twist barrel for the MK85. McMillan made the 32" twist I believe. Munich made a custom 48" twist but special order only. The latest has been Green Mountain.That bullet needs at least a 28 twist barrel. That could be your problem. If the twist is too slow, your bullet could be tumbling. Could be that rifle got the 32" twist barrel that was offered in that model rifle. The real old MK85s we're offered in that custom 48" twist barrel. That fury 285 looks to have a short bearing surface requiring a faster twist barrel. Most muzzleloading bullet have more bearing surface allowing them to get by with a slow twist barrel.
Thanks John,
Since I dont have a clue what barrel or twist came with the gun when I bought it years ago-lol. I'll try the spin jag first.
If that doesnt solve the problem, then its just going back to the Saboted bullets. I was just trying a different set-up. This bullet sounded sweet (No sabot, a true 50 caliber round verses 45 caliber and it sounded like it performs a lot better as far as blood trails than the Xtp 240 grain rounds that I had always used.)

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Thanks John,
Since I dont have a clue what barrel or twist came with the gun when I bought it years ago-lol. I'll try the spin jag first.
If that doesnt solve the problem, then its just going back to the Saboted bullets. I was just trying a different set-up. This bullet sounded sweet (No sabot, a true 50 caliber round verses 45 caliber and it sounded like it performs a lot better as far as blood trails than the Xtp 240 grain rounds that I had always used.)
You could check the twist with a patch on a cleaning jag. Count the number of turns the rod makes from muzzle to breech. Put a white mark in the cleaning rod to make it easy to count the turns. BTW...You won't need a spin jag if your cleaning rod handle spins on bearings.

·
Registered
37,056 Posts
You could check the twist with a patch on a cleaning jag. Count the number of turns the rod makes from muzzle to breech. Put a white mark in the cleaning rod to make it easy to count the turns. BTW...You won't need a spin jag if your cleaning rod handle spins on bearings.
You need a bullet alignment tool of some type with those bullets. I shoot them myself.

·
Registered
360 Posts
have you tried the new power belt aero tip elr bullets? I just use the concave jag and I'm shooting the best groups I've ever shot with the CVA accura 45 caliber long range. my son shoots a CVA accura 50 caliber. when he saw my group's he tried the 50 cal bullets. now we're both shooting our best groups. I'm shooting the 280 grn but they make a 330 grn. they are much longer and pointed than the old sabot bullets I use to use. don't quote me on this but I believe the 50 calibers come in the same weight as the 45, there just longer. I'm shooting 150 grns of 777 pellets. I'm shooting with a rest only and I'm getting 3 shot groups that tear the same hole at 50 yards.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
have you tried the new power belt aero tip elr bullets? I just use the concave jag and I'm shooting the best groups I've ever shot with the CVA accura 45 caliber long range. my son shoots a CVA accura 50 caliber. when he saw my group's he tried the 50 cal bullets. now we're both shooting our best groups. I'm shooting the 280 grn but they make a 330 grn. they are much longer and pointed than the old sabot bullets I use to use. don't quote me on this but I believe the 50 calibers come in the same weight as the 45, there just longer. I'm shooting 150 grns of 777 pellets. I'm shooting with a rest only and I'm getting 3 shot groups that tear the same hole at 50 yards.
Faster barrels are needed for those as well. The LR muzzleloaders have 20 or 24 twist barrels.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well John. It looks like you were correct about a slow barrel being the culprit. I bought my MK85 in 1986, and measured the twist at 48:1.
In talking to Fury today, they told me that that slow speed is a show stopper for their bullet to bore universal fit bullet. I guess that bullet needs a 28:1 twist in order for it to grab the rifling and hence stabilize the flight.
Thank-you for you insight and input,
Tim

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Well John. It looks like you were correct about a slow barrel being the culprit. I bought my MK85 in 1986, and measured the twist at 48:1.
In talking to Fury today, they told me that that slow speed is a show stopper for their bullet to bore universal fit bullet. I guess that bullet needs a 28:1 twist in order for it to grab the rifling and hence stabilize the flight.
Thank-you for you insight and input,
Tim
Sorry for the disappointment.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts