Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some scattered reports with no detail. If any of you guys ship there and have a registered online acct. with them, please share the info. From the reports, so far, doesn't appear that things have done well. Not good for Ravenna tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
O.K. FHA results are up on their site. Would have deleted the thread, however, no go. Anyways, the results are ?????. Definitely have put a kink in the market. I'm not certain that I would want to sell at Ravenna tomorrow. Might be better off letting things settle down a bit, so a panic doesn't occur. Might be better off waitimg for Otisville, and the dust may have settled. Roger

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
WHAT have rats done? and coon. Please.
The rats sold 73% for a $6.84 ave. , before commission. All of the better rats sold, so actual ave. are most probably considerably lower. 7700 rats sold 100% at the Jays sale in Clare for a $7.65 ave., go figure. If I had rats for sale, I think that I would sit on them, at least until things settle. The guys were expecting a $10.00 ave. As a matter of fact, several days ago, out of curiousity, I called the shipping agent and asked how much rats would bring at the sale today, answer $9-11 ave. . I guessed $7.50 with a 100 % sale. Guess we were both wrong, go figure. I don't know the details on how our Mi. type coon sold, perhaps someone else will chime in. roger

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I am a long time FHA shipper and early sales are always lower than Feb, March, or May sales. All my goods will be on the March sale. Still $6.84 on rats is not bad compared to normal. Obviously right now a person would be better off selling to a local buyer. OT

·
Registered
804 Posts
The rats sold 73% for a $6.84 ave. , before commission. All of the better rats sold, so actual ave. are most probably considerably lower. 7700 rats sold 100% at the Jays sale in Clare for a $7.65 ave., go figure. If I had rats for sale, I think that I would sit on them, at least until things settle. The guys were expecting a $10.00 ave. As a matter of fact, several days ago, out of curiousity, I called the shipping agent and asked how much rats would bring at the sale today, answer $9-11 ave. . I guessed $7.50 with a 100 % sale. Guess we were both wrong, go figure. I don't know the details on how our Mi. type coon sold, perhaps someone else will chime in.

Had something else typed up and deleted it will just say I think you know what you are making on the rats but are speculating on beaver. Jim

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
So Roger MORE BAD MOUTHING an Assoc. sales that happens to be in Ravenna. Nothing different from you I see you never say anything good about RAVENNA SALE. I am starting to think you have a problem with how many buyers show up to RAVENNA.

Yes looks like 'rat prices may drop its up to the trapper to sell. No different then the stock market.

Just calling a SPADE A SPADE.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Straight from a FHA agent.

All BIG 'RATS sold and med. 'rats low grades and large 'rats held back.

So YES lower avgs. would be seen when only the BIG 'rats and then skip to med. 'rats are sold. Keep blowing it out Roger. Know so facts before you post would help you. Thats right this type of post helps your door step sales because only you know what is happening!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Slow down Dave, I have always been one of the biggest supporters of the MTA and MMIT auctions, and have urged trappers for years to attend the sales. I think that you are way off base here. And the results of the sale and my interpretation are correct. I spoke with Don Rumford, the fur sales manager at FHA last night, and he said things were bad. The rat sale was difficult, as well as most of the other items. I have bought 100's of thousands of $$$ over the years at the state sales, and will continue to support the organization. You owe me an apology. Roger

·
Registered
103 Posts
dave,

roger is right,if you think he is wrong about the fha sale then check groneys site also and see what they said about it on there twitter post...

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I don't owe anything. I was not the one talking big about buying 'rats at higher prices then "The Big Guys" (Groney) I know 'rats crashed but also the big 'rats did sell well at 10.50sel. and 10.00 1&2.

Doesn't sound good for 'rats period glad I only had 6 'rats.

Groney was ahead of the game on his price drop and Roger had to come in and Talk big and bad.

Roger you went from a 9.00 'rat to what I heard today was a 5.00 'rat.

I'm not certain that I would want to sell at Ravenna tomorrow

Read more at Michigan-Sportsman.com: The Michigan Sportsman Forums - Reply to Topic http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=3485658#ixzz1AUqkfEAA

Just more from Roger basically saying DON'T go to Ravenna. But in 2 weeks 'rats will be okay again.

I personally sold everything in Ravenna today and was happy with the price on my fur or I would have pulled them.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
7700 rats sold 100% at the Jays sale in Clare for a $7.65 ave., go figure. Jim
Jim, that's not entirely true. Not because the Buyers didn't want them but because a few trappers "No Sale'd" some of their fur. They may regret that now.

I sold what 'rats I had at Jay's for an $8.06 average after commission. It's going to be a shame if the pretty winter 'rats I have now bring less than my Fall ones- but that's the way of the fur market. I probably would have sold what I have now at Ravenna, but I was in St. Ignace for the Furbearer Workgroup Meeting today. So I'll sell at Otisville.

If any of you have any insight into how to time the market, please let this old trapper know. I can keep a secret. Until then if there's two things I've learned about trapping and selling fur they are:

1. Trying to time the fur market is like trying to time the stock market- you'll lose at least as often as you win.

2. If you're trapping for the money- you may want to quit now. I hear McDonald's is hiring and they pay better. If you're doing it for the love of the sport but are really concerned about getting every nickle out of your pelts, sell at a place where you get a competitive bid like an MTPCA Auction, a NAFA Auction, or an FHA Auction (but be ready to wait for your money if you go NAFA or FHA). You'll get the highest price any of 6-10+ buyers is willing to pay. You have to pay commission, but in the case of our sales all profits support preserving your right to trap. If your concern is getting a fair price but you're not so concerned if your take-home 'rat average is $8.01 vs $8.06 then feel free to sell at any of the reputable fur buyers in the State and don't look back.

I'll make a little money trapping this year, but my hourly "wage" will certainly be below the Federal Minimum. So be it. I tell my wife if I'm paying for my gas I'm doing better than every deer hunter, every duck hunter, every grouse hunter,and every coyote hunter in the woods.

Being able to sell the fur we catch and cover some or all of our expenses is a nice side benefit to trapping- but making real money at it is a thing of the past (at least right now). I remember seeing guys trapping fox and coyotes and buying a truck with their fur check. But that was a long time ago. If you can show me a fox and coyote trapper today that pays for his gas I'll show you twenty that don't. They love to trap those smelly things and I say "God bless them." Me- I'll be in the water or on the ice.

To sum it up- let's not blow this out of proportion. Have fun doing what I think is the most enjoyable sport we have in Michigan.

I'll get off my soapbox and go to bed. I have otter traps to check in the morning. (BTW, the gas to set my otter 'line, not to mention check it, costs more than the value of the otter pelt I may sell. This will be my third check.)

Hope to see you at Otisville- or out on a marsh somewhere!

John

·
Registered
804 Posts
John: Boy this thread is going to the dogs. I never said anything about rat prices I quoted what Roger said. Price or rats would be not have made any difference with my reply to Rogers quote it would be the same if rats were $.50 or $20.

James Dymond

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Sorry, Jim! I missed that as Roger's post- it was late. :dizzy: And I think you and I agree on this pretty much. It seemed like this post went from a discussion of the FHA results to an argument.

My point was that guys are getting all stressed out on a volatile market. Relax, Guys! I think most of us remember selling 'rats for $2.50. While I might like more- if I averaged $6.84 at Otisville I'll take my check and be satisfied that I got a fair price and a lot more than I've received in past years. That's why I like the Auctions. If one buyer (not saying you, Roger!!!) tries to buy fur cheap, the others will bring the bids up to where the current market says it should be and he'll go home with an empty truck.

There are lots of options out there for the Trappers to sell their fur and, this season, lots of trappers out there for the Buyers to purchase their goods from. Lots of trappers leads to a volatile, and often declining, market price. Basic macroeconomics: supply and demand.

Let's get back to trapping and having fun!

John

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
Sorry, Jim! I missed that as Roger's post- it was late. :dizzy: And I think you and I agree on this pretty much. It seemed like this post went from a discussion of the FHA results to an argument.

My point was that guys are getting all stressed out on a volatile market. Relax, Guys! I think most of us remember selling 'rats for $2.50. While I might like more- if I averaged $6.84 at Otisville I'll take my check and be satisfied that I got a fair price and a lot more than I've received in past years. That's why I like the Auctions. If one buyer (not saying you, Roger!!!) tries to buy fur cheap, the others will bring the bids up to where the current market says it should be and he'll go home with an empty truck.

There are lots of options out there for the Trappers to sell their fur and, this season, lots of trappers out there for the Buyers to purchase their goods from. Lots of trappers leads to a volatile, and often declining, market price. Basic macroeconomics: supply and demand.

Let's get back to trapping and having fun!

John

Amen to that! ( the part about having fun I meant)

Mark

1 - 16 of 16 Posts