Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any funny huntin stories?? If so id like to here them..
My dad shot at a buck this year nine times and didnt get it(it was too far off)...2 days later he got 2 bucks...within 30 minutes, a 12 and an 8, got one after field dressing the other..lol

·
Registered
458 Posts
What's funny about missing nine times???? That is dangerous and irresponsible.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its ironic(also funny that u could miss a deer that many times)...he was shooting against a hill, so its not dangerous, and nobody was around....it wasnt irresponsible because the buck wasnt moving(it was moving in small circles) and it might have been wounded, and you need to put wounded deer out of its misery..so i disagree with you

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
and we hunt on private land, so we know who hunts where

·
Registered
9,594 Posts
Ya know, funny is funny, but shooting nine times at a deer that's too far away dosen't fit the bill for me. If he actually wounded it, that is even more pathetic. You need to change your handle to Stupid-Bone. :mad:

·
Registered
266 Posts
EDIT: STEVE I think he meant the deer was wounded before the shooting started but yes 9 shots is a bit excessive.where to start? funny stories...hmmmm

Well let's start with one about 12 years ago now.

4 of us went up to Renegade ranch in Cheyboygan. We had gone out on our own to see if we could find the piggies ourselves. We had gone to go boar hunting. Well after wandering around for a while we come across a buffalo out in the heavy wooded area. We more or less just walked up to within 20 yards of it (stupid now but youthful exhuberance then). It is near the top of a small hill and we decide to continue our search and as we walk down the hill one of the guys look back over at the buffalo. We've walked now about 60 yards down the trail when the friend decides and announces That buffalo needs to be more scared of man. He picks up a stone and throws it up towards the buffalo. The buffalo then starts to meander over the top of the hill. Friend picks up another stone and announces he's not running yet. He jogs up the hill and throws the stone again. He watches the buffalo going down the other side and announces "there now he's good and scared". As he's walking down the hill we decide to see how scared he is of such a large animal. At the same time we al yell "LOOK OUT HERE IT COEMES!!!" Without looking back he breaks into a full blown sprint running right by us before he realizes we were messing with him.

So bud who's scared of who now? :)

During the same time when we arrived and met with the owners of the Renegade they said if we'd like to drive out and look around that would be OK. we drove our truck out and got out just taking in the view. one guy says I want a picture of this and starts heading for a brown lump out in the grass. He says I'll just get on this dirt mound and take a picture. As he approached the dirt mound stood up and snorted at him. He ran back to the truck I can't believe that was a buffalo just lying down there.

·
Registered
97 Posts
.....Over the 20 years ive been hunting, I have a ton of funny stories. That is almost the best part of camp, all the laughs.

Short story #1.- Over the last few years, my father has come back into camp a couple of times at night and we noticed he didnt have his bow with him. When we ask where it is, he replies "I set it down when I put my tree stand on my back and walked off without it!!!!!" You can only imagine the hell he gets for that!:D ;) :D To top that off, a few years ago we were bohunting in October. We left camp at about 5:45am. We get about 1/2 mile from camp and my dad says "Son of a B**ch!!!" I turned around and said "what?" He walked off from camp and left his bow liing in the camper. I asked him how he planned on killing a deer? Didnt quite hear what he was mumbling as he turned to head back to camp to get his bow!:)

Story #2.- My brother never takes a compass with him. One evening, quite a few years ago, while my father and I were bowhunting deer, my brother decided to hunt squirrels with his .22. I got back to camp about 30 minutes after dark and no brother. My dad got back 45 minutes after I did and no brother yet. We new the general area he was in so off we go looking for him. Long story short, 2 1/2 hours after dark we finally hear him shooting his .22 (you know, the 3 shots I need help thing). When we finally found him he was a little shaken. I asked him how he got so far over by the cedar swamp (huge national forest). His theory was that when he walked back into the ridges from the fence line all he had to do was put his gun over his shoulder and that was pointing the way back to the fence. Well, he got chasing a squirrel around and suddenly when it started to get late he realized his gun barrell wasnt facing the fenceline anymore. He walked the way the "thought" the fence was, which in reality was the complete opposite direction!!! :D ;) :D :D

We still relive these stories and many others like it every year and still laugh just as hard. Good thread!

·
Registered
155 Posts
my wife had just got me a mathews legacy for my b-day so i went and set it all up with all the goodies,first week of oct i was hunting the eve hunt .after see 6 deer i lowered my bow to the ground.got everything in order to come down started on the way down when i heard a twig break,so i froze.all of a sudden here they come a whole line of deer.next thing i heard was a really strange noise below me.looked down to see a big doe standing on my new bow.so i yelled at her,well that blew that stand till dec. when i took my bow in the house you could see the hoof print on my riser. i didn't think it was to funny then but my buddies andson thought it was.now i can smile about it

·
Registered
17 Posts
Some years back my buddy was hunting out of shack style ground blind. He had a 30.06 semi auto with a scope. Saw a doe and shot at it couple times. Got out and checked and found no sign he had hit it. During lunch, back at camp, he told us about it. He was sure he made a good shot. Said he saw fur fly but no sign of blood. We all headed out there to look around. While we were searching the immediate area my uncle went into the blind and yelled for us to come look. Seemed my buddy had shot thru blind by having the scope above the ledge but the barrel about a half inch below. The "fur" he saw flying was actually wood splinters. We've told this story every year since and always will.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Last year my older brother sat in the blind with me. A cute little fawn walked into my shooting lane and disappeared behind a stack of brush. Right after the fawn was out of view my brother whispered "I see a buck just on the other side of that brush." Of course that was the same bit of brush that the fawn had just walked behind except on the opposite end of the pile. I said you are on crack that thing is just a baby. Thinking he has never been hunting before and he may be dreaming a little. "No it looks like a 6 pt." I told him that was the fawns ears and again you need to stop taking drugs. This conversation went own for a minute or two and I noticed a flicker high up in the brush. Low and behold where the fawn had entered a nicely racked buck was about to exit. I really did not have a good shot except at antlers. Suddenly the buck turned around and completely disappeared behind the brush again. Only a few seconds later the fawn again appeared out the other side and walked away. I was questioning my sanity at this point. My attention focused on the fawn that hopped away across my East shooting lane. Out of the corner of my eye I caught a glimpse of the south end of a North bound buck crossing my northern shooting lane. Both these deer survived me this year. But the memory of it still cracks me up.
Doctor

·
Premium Member
21,607 Posts
Originally posted by Ken Browning
[B
Story #2.- My brother never takes a compass with him. [/B]

Does he carry a compass now?

·
Premium Member
6,244 Posts
I posted this some time ago but thought it would fit into this forum.

3 years ago I was up in the Hale area with my 2 children (4 & 7 at that time). They wanted me to take them out deer hunting so I took my lucky's tent out, grabbed some chairs, my bow, and off we went. I really wasn't hunting in my mind , I was just spending time together with them. We were only 100 yards from the cabin. So they didn't get bored I gave one of them my grunt call an the other the "can". They proceeded to make one heck of a racket. After about 5 minutes of this chaos I see a deer running full tilt at us. It turns out to be a nice 6 point that came in to about 15 yards. Well I don't know if you've ever been in a lucky's rifle tent before with 2 little ones but there is not much room. My bow's an Oneida and is to long to shoot out of this thing anyhow and my little guy has got his head out of one of the windows saying "shoot it Dad." That deer was totally freaked out. Now when I go hunting and have no success they asked me if I tried the calls the way they showed me.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Whit1,

He carries everything but a compass with him. Says he hasnt figured out how to use one yet (Weve tried). He has a lot of bright eye tacks and orange ribbon tied on the way to his stands. I guess he figures if he gets lost, me or the old man will come find him.:D

Kids not much on navigation, but hes a hell of a hunter!:cool:

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
My younger brother 17 at the time was out turkey hunting by himself. It was his first year after these birds. He was shooting a Remington 870 Ultra Mag with 3 1/2 inch turkey loads. We had the birds patterned pretty well, and he got set up where they would travel out to an alfalfa field. Any ways, a nice long beard came by, he thought it was about 35 yards away, and he had a good shot on him, so he took aim and let him have it. It turns out the bird was actually closer to 50 yards away, he was not sure if the bird went down or not so he ran up to check, he didn't see it, so he headed towards the alfalfa field to see if the bird was out in the field. On his way out there he saw his gobbler lying dead face first in a thorn patch, so he set his gun down and went over to pick him up. Surprise! When he grabbed him by the legs to pull him out of the thorns the Turkey started thrashing him around, obviously not dead yet. He said it took him about 5 minutes to finally wrestle him down and finish him off. "Man, you wouldn't believe how strong those birds are, I had both of his legs and he was throwing me all over the woods!" Luckily he was able to stay out of the way of the 1 1/4 inch razor sharp spurs. He bagged his first turkey and a memory he will never forget. He ended up getting only 2 bb's in the birds head and a few in the neck. He never got the turkey scored, but it weighed over 26 lbs. about a 12 inch beard, and over 1 1/4 inch spurs. Oh yeah, and very strong legs! I know this is in the whitetail section, but I thought I would share.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Several years ago I had permission to bow hunt a swampy area on private land. I could have used a machete to cut through the brush but all I had were my clippers. More than once I had to backtrack to find an arrow that was pulled out of my quiver. While cutting through one particularly thick clump I heard a loud snap and my recurve bow suddenly sprang out of my hands. I had cut my bow string! Thank God it was a recurve and not a compound. Fortunately, I had another bowstring taped to one of the limbs. The swamp ended up being a great place to hunt once I figured it out.

Then there was the time three of us picked up a super fresh road kill while heading out to a buddy's place in the country. He wasn't home when we arrived so we positioned the dead deer so it could be seen from his living room. A few minutes after he got home, I just "happened" to notice the deer. My other buddy grabbed his gun, "snuck" outside and "shot" the bedded deer (he didn't shoot the deer, just the hillside near it.) The three of us were high-fivin', hoo-rahing and putting on such a convincing show that our host believed we had actually shot the deer. We had him going for a good 20 minutes. We still tell that story even though it happened almost 15 years ago.

God bless,
John E.
Ypsi

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I have been thinking about this thread for some time and although I pretty much gave up all forms of hunting in favor of fishing year round, I must add one of my most memorable hunts.

About 8 years ago, I was hunting a swamp in the Newaygo county area where I grew up. I had an awesome blind and throughout the bow season I had seen many dear and several very nice racks, but nothing close, except for one. 4th week into the season, on a day that was raining cats and dogs, I had a very nice 10 point enter in to my lane from behind me. Due to the rain, I had put my string tracker on the arrow, and yes I know, it was a good idea at the time. As the deer came to my left I had a perfect broad side shot and took it. Well…. I forgot to take the cap off the string tracker and that arrow got out about 6 foot and stopped… that deer was safe.

Now, speed up a few weeks on opening day of gun season same year, same blind. I was hunting with a muzzle loader, 45 cal and the night before loaded the gun and placed it outside in the cold for condensation reasons. That night we had a heavy rain and by morning had turned to ice. The kind that is causes the trees and limbs to bend over. Up bright and early and in my blind ½ hour before light and about 15 min into the daylight, a nice 6 point came out ahead of me by about 40 yards. Perfect shot--- the cap snapped and no bang. Another safe deer. I guess leaving the gun out at night was not such a great idea…. I walked back to the cabin, had breakfast, cleared the gun, cleaned it and reloaded. After lunch, around 1pm, I went back to the blind.

I was not in that blind 15 minutes and guess who shows up!!!! That 10 point from a few weeks prior. I am positive it was the same deer as by now I had seen it 3 times, in fact I had shot at it once. Had a great 50yard shot and everything worked perfectly. “Kerr….bang” I knew I had hit the deer, saw it stubble after running 60 yards and thinking to my self- hey this cool.

Here is where that disease some call buck fever takes over and makes people do goofy things. I jumped out of my blind walked over to where I had hit the deer and saw blood on top of the water. This all swamp, I am in hip boots with water about 6 inches to a foot deep. The blind is on a little raised area so I am high and dry while in it. I can see the trail on top of the water but if I don’t get on this right away, this trail is going to be washed away. I started to track and literally about stepped on this deer. He had gotten behind a downed log had its head up and was starting to stand as I approached. I pulled up the gun to dispatch it and then remembered that in my haste I forgot to reload. So I backed off about 15 feet and proceeded to reload my gun. First load of powder poured on the ground. Same with the second. Finally got the 3rd load of powder in the barrel, pillow ticking and ball next. Now as I shoot a 45 cal. I load .445 balls. Add the pillow ticking and there is not much room going into the barrel. As a result, I carry a little rubber hammer to get the ball started and here I am hammering away at this gun, the deer 15 feet away looking like it ready to bolt about anytime. Next the ram rod. I use a metal ram rod to load at the cabin, the field rod is about worthless using .445 balls. What is guess I am trying to say is at that time I need a BFH style hammer as that little rubber mallet was not cutting the mustard. So here I am banging my gun with the ram-rod in the barrel against the tree trying to get the ball seated. Mission accomplished. Now just gotta sneak up the 15 foot on this deer and dispatch it. I really think this deer passed from laughing so hard watching me attempt to load this gun as it was dead by the time I snuck up to it.

Being the good sportsman that I am, I tagged the deer, left it where it was and walked back to my blind to pack up my stuff. I decided to haul out all my gear and gun, go back for the deer and spend the rest of the day dragging it out which is about a ½ mile. As the trees were all bent over from the ice, the scenery changes and I got so turned around in that swamp that it was over 2 hours before I found my way back to the Jeep, and another ½ hour getting back to the deer. Meanwhile this deer is properly tagged and I am hunting public ground!!!. Oh I found it again, and due to being in water, I did not want to dress it until I was out of the swamp. Oh, and found out later that it dresses at 190 lbs.

I had brought back with me a knife, a 1 liter of Cola and a pint of fire water. Drag the deer 10 feet, have a swig. Smoke. Drag the deer 10 feet, have swag. Smoke. Drag the deer 8 feet, have a gulp. Smoke. 120 feet and I am out of cola, the fire water is long gone and I am sitting on top of this deer about to have my last smoke…and its getting dark. Again I left it and Stumbled out of the woods and thank goodness my uncle was waiting for me at the Jeep. We both went back recovered the deer.

I had this deer mounted and it hangs in my office. It scored out at 134 ¼. This was the last deer that I harvested. I found it a fitting way to end my hunting career.

Mark

·
Registered
400 Posts
12 years ago I took my oldest son on his first Nov. 15 th opener. He was really excited and couldn't wait to get in the woods. We had scouted out an area that would allow me to sit facing 180 from the direction he was watching. That gave us both a reasonable chance at seeing something. So we get to the blind and sit till just before dark and then all once! Blam!!! I about jumped out my skin!

After the report clears I hear my son say. " I'm sure I got him dad!"

I told him. "Ok just sit still for a minute and listen!"
After a time had passed I got up to go look for the evidence. On the way to the run that the deer was following he tells me." I saw hair fly." So I'm thinking Thats a good sign.

Now were looking where he said the deer was walking. Which was almost directly at him and slighty up hill at that point.

I look down and couldn't believe my eye's there's almost 3 feet of hair laying on the ground and I mean in a line.Not a speck of blood on any of it. Wow! What a hair cut.

I wonder if he was asked who his barber was!

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Yeah, I know what this is going to sound like but I can assuredly attest that I'm not referring to myself. I know I need more practice and generally wait for the stand still, perfect angle shot.

I have a friend whom I've known for years and when he's on top of his game, is a crack shot, most of the time. I have seen him make shots that would boggle one's mind. I watched him drop a running deer at 200 yards off hand and take pheasant and rabbit while in all kinds of contorted body positions. But since I'm not going to focus on his ability to hit a flying aspirin at 2 miles while blind folded with a straw and spit wad, I'm going to write about his most famous screw up, because when he does mess up, it's usually in such a great way that I get to rib him about for years about it. Heck, I mess up all the time so it no big deal.

One afternoon, several years ago, I took my buddy out deer hunting on a friends farm after we both got out of work. The farm at the time was over-run with deer and we had the green light from the farmer to use every tag we had. Well, we walk out to the woods and I tell my buddy to sit in this hedge row as the deer will be coming out on 2 trails on either side of him offering easy 60 to 70 yard shots. I left him to get to my spot which was just on the other side of this small wood lot, maybe 300 yards away or so. As I'm walking to my spot I hear him open up like the 4th of July, 5 rapid shots! I'm thinking, holy cow! I didn't even get the chance to get to my spot to sit down! I pull out the 2 way radio after thing settle down for a couple of minutes and asked him what he put down, he answered back in that adrenaline rush voice that we all know that he had two real good size doe, a yearling with a decent 6 point buck walk out of one of the trails as soon I as walked away from him and he needed to wait until they separated a bit before taking any shots, when they did separate, he picked out his targets and let them have it! Well all the deer ran off and he needed help tracking as he touched off on the buck and one of the doe and saying that he hit 'em square and they are dead on the feet. I walk back over to him and he still is about as amped as anyone could be. So off we go to track and dress out his 2 deer. After spending a lot of time going over the area for sign, we found none. No sign of injury, blood, hair, nothing! We go back to where he was sitting to re-trace everything he did. When we got back to his spot he looked at the ground and noticed that all the shells laying there were... 7 1/2 shot and not slugs like he thought he had loaded. I about died on the spot right there! After concluding that at the distance he shot, and where his aim point was, all of his shots fell short not hitting or if they did hit, I don't think they injured the deer but really scared the crap out the deer. I asked what the heck he was doing with bird shot and his only reply was, in between apologies, I grabbed my duffel bag labeled "DEER HUNTING" and reached inside and grabbed a handful of shells and stuffed them into my pocket and never looked to make sure that they were slugs as he was sure that was all he had in that bag. After that, I gave him a couple of slugs that I had brought as extra's to finish out the evening hunt, which ended up being uneventful. To this day, whenever we go hunting, for whatever, I always ask him if he's sure that he brought along the correct ammo and always ask to see it before we head out the door. The real fun part of this is that my wife even rides him about this too!

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
First lets set the seen: My uncle and I hunt about 35 yrds apart. Our ladder stand shots to our food plots are 165 yrds in opposite directions. We can also view each others plots.
Second: I have been getting alot more activity at my plot than my uncle. My uncle is a little paturbed. I have also been passing on some decent deer. I inform my uncle that I'll give a little whistle if there is a buck that I'm going to pass on for him to shoot.
Sat. morning we are in our stands. I've had 4 deer in and out of my plot. My uncle has seen nothing. At about 9:20am being the loving nephew that I am And a little bored; I decide to pull one on him. I give him the signal. After about a minute he trys to get me to turn on the radio with a different call. I don't respond. I'm laughing to myself when I notice movement on the road leading to my plot. BINOS UP; Its an 8PT!!!!!!!!!! I now have to decide if it a shooter for me. My uncle has yet to see this deer. I decide to let my uncle take the shot. The buck finally walks into the plot just as my uncle trys to get my attention again. This puts the buck and my uncle on edge. My uncle thinks the bucks been there the hole time and rushes the shot w/ a clean miss and that 8PT a little bit smarter. I think it was the first and last deer I'll ever whistle in!

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Several years ago my brother, Pete, a friend, Mark, and I were gun hunting on state land near Atlanta, MI. We sat in the morning and had agreed to meet at the car for lunch to compare notes. Pete was already at the car when Mark and I, who had seen nothing, got there. We were tired and a bit disappointed. Just as we unloaded our rifles Pete grabbed my arm, points and says very yexcitedly "A buck, a buck.." Shells were dropped and fumbled while Mark and I grabbed our rifles, looked for the deer and tried to reload. Just then Pete, in a much more peaceful voice, finished his sentence, "...walked along that tree line a couple weeks ago. I found one of his rubs." It was a great trick that nearly gave me a heart attack. I've used it a couple times since then and the reaction is always fantastic - try it next season.

God bless,
John E.
Ypsi

1 - 20 of 20 Posts