Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Funny old man!

840 Views 8 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  FNC
Had a find this morning.Then hold for almost an hour.Now he is sleeping with it at his nose.He has the same memories and dreams as I.
Dog Furniture Comfort Carnivore Fawn
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Very cool! Birds on the brain!
Had a find this morning.Then hold for almost an hour.Now he is sleeping with it at his nose.He has the same memories and dreams as I. View attachment 300182
He has been a great hunter.Constantly running a perfect quartering pattern,harvested a lot of birds over the old man.He will be 12 in August and still runs a good amount in heavy cover.He was out this morning with the gsp's running laps for an hour playing chase.
Very cool! Birds on the brain!
That's great! I had two Brittanies and now am down to my 6-year old. I hunted my now- deceased Rusty until he was 14. His last wild rooster was taken in Iowa at age 14. I ultimately had to put him down when he was 16. Enjoy them while you have them - they aren't with us very long...

On another note, that's awesome that your dog consistently runs a quartering pattern. My dog always starts the hunt that way but then he hits a higher gear and really stretches it out. I sure do get my cardio workout hunting with my dog. Question: do you think the dog's range is more a function of the breeding? or training? My dog holds point very well so I don't like to hack him back close to me if it isn't necessary. Just that the older I get, it would be nicer to hunt at a more leisurely pace...

Frank
He has been a great hunter.Constantly running a perfect quartering pattern,harvested a lot of birds over the old man.He will be 12 in August and still runs a good amount in heavy cover.He was out this morning with the gsp's running laps for an hour playing chase.
If my dogs run out I hide from them and wait.No calling.Everyone has panicked when I do this.Running back and forth stopping, listening, looking.The more vocals you use the more they string out I've noticed. The noise to them serves as a beacon to them so they tend to not worry and stray.Silence tends to make my dogs check in and stay close so I don't ditch them
That's great! I had two Brittanies and now am down to my 6-year old. I hunted my now- deceased Rusty until he was 14. His last wild rooster was taken in Iowa at age 14. I ultimately had to put him down when he was 16. Enjoy them while you have them - they aren't with us very long...

On another note, that's awesome that your dog consistently runs a quartering pattern. My dog always starts the hunt that way but then he hits a higher gear and really stretches it out. I sure do get my cardio workout hunting with my dog. Question: do you think the dog's range is more a function of the breeding? or training? My dog holds point very well so I don't like to hack him back close to me if it isn't necessary. Just that the older I get, it would be nicer to hunt at a more leisurely pace...

Frank
Reactions: DoJigger
Interesting. I need to give that a try. Would that be similar to the Delmar Smith Silent Training Method by chance?
Nope.Just my way to do it.But I will check that out.I use vibrate to call in my dogs.I like being silent.Although being noisy is good for driving game.I just prefer a nice quiet,peaceful,day in the outdoors.I will hit vibrate while I hide behind cover or down low to the ground.They panicked when they can not see me.Reels them in nicely.
Interesting. I need to give that a try. Would that be similar to the Delmar Smith Silent Training Method by chance?
I do the same, if the cover is waist high in spots and the dog seems out a little farther than I like will kneel down sure enough will come right back looking for me. Notice he pays close attention where I'm at..
That's awesome. Great tip, thanks. As they say, silence is golden!
Reactions: DoJigger
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.