Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm taking all next week off to bowhunt. Some of my buddies say I'm blowing it. Should have taken the week after next. What do ya think?:help:

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
ya did not blow it.just be prepared to sit late or even better all day.mid day is great during the rut,;) even better during a full moon.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Your buddies are jealous is all.

"your blowing it, you shouldn't go"

is a clear indication of jealousy that you will be out in the woods hunting, and they will be working

TOOOO BAAAAAAD!

the more your in the woods, the more you up your percentage at success.

don't listen to anybody but yourself...if i had the chance and didn't have to work, i'd be out there every day and not worried about "blowing" anything accept into my grunt tube

·
Registered
10,443 Posts
Full moon on the 2nd and 3/4 by the 9th. I think deer tend to be more nocturnal during the full moon as they can see incredibly well all night, but it's also chasing time, so mistakes get made by deer.

Looking nice on the 16th with a new moon.

I got a couple apps for my smartphone that really help. MoonCal and HelioStat, both by Two Roads Software. Gives me all the important info on sunrise, sunset and moonrise, moonset, phases etc. The apps are like $2.99 and $6.99 for my Blackberry.

·
Registered
14,720 Posts
I'm taking all next week off to bowhunt. Some of my buddies say I'm blowing it. Should have taken the week after next. What do ya think?:help:
You're buddies don't know what they're talking about:). Regardless of moon phase, there is no other time frame for daytime buck movement that compares to the first ten days of November, especially the period from the 5th through the 8th or 9th. From now until around next weekend bucks will also be much more vulnerable to calling than they will be during the following week. By the 10th or 11th buck sightings almost always decrease due to bucks being locked down with does.

·
Premium Member
5,603 Posts
I think the first week of November is prime. Second week can be good but you can also get buggered by gun hunters setting up camp, blinds, sighting in, etc.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Ive had this same problem the last few years. Which week is better?? 1st or 2nd week in November??

So this year I took off both :D

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Ive had this same problem the last few years. Which week is better?? 1st or 2nd week in November??

So this year I took off both :D
wouldnt that be nice!?

·
Registered
583 Posts
The last three years, always took the first week of November off. By the end of the week....for me, it just seemed like it was getting "good". This year going to try the second week off, I'm off the 6th - 18th....;) !!!!

·
Registered
4,553 Posts
I dont like hunting the full moon unless I have no choice. Its well documented that deer move more at night during a full moon and less at dawn and dusk. Overall daytime deer sighting are usually low during a full moon. However, buck movement in the middle of the day should be your best bet.

Id sleep in until 9am and then head out to your stand and sit for the rest of the day. If you head out at the usual hour before sunrise, chances will be pretty good that you will jump deer that are already bedded.

Just my .02

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Your not going to get anything laying in bed. From now until gun season is prime time. Get out as often as you can.

·
Registered
105 Posts
You did the right thing, November 1st thru November 10 th is the best time to be in your stand, make sure you hunt the 11:00 A.M. to 2:00 P.M. hours for sure, all day if you can do it.

·
Registered
333 Posts
dispite the bad weather the past few days ive seen a big buck every night, not in the stand of course...just out driving after dark...saw one on the side of the expressway, another in my buddies front yard and then last night a whopper 10 with skyscraper brows was walking out of a county park to cross the road and i stoppped 10 feet from him...every night after dark buck have been spotted...reguardless of day or nighttime activity right now..you cant get one in the house....that bg buck only needs to make one mistake...and it'll be his last...:lol:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts