Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone heard anything about fuel separation..I was talking to a motor cycle mechanic he said they are seeing it and more water in the fuel he says it is from the gas that is mixed with alcohol. some times the motor cycle will not start they recommend draining the fuel for storage now,,of coarse they are only talking about a couple gallons ...he also said once it separates it does not seem to re combine

·
Banned
4,684 Posts
Was he talking about Ethanol? I know some gas that is sold is 5-15% ethanol, which will do that. Ethanol doesn't have the "shelf life" as Pure Gas does. Its gonna be a big problem since the blend is now allowed to be sold a marinas. It will be an issue for the guys that don't use there boats and burn off the fuel in a short amount of time. Won't be a problem for me. I can go thru my 200 gal tank in 2 weekends.

The ethanol will also cause havoc on older boats will fibergalss fuel tanks....

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
It is referred to Phase Separation and is common is E10 fuel.

"Conventional gasoline can contain up to about 0.2 percent dissolved water before the water 'drops' out of solution to the bottom of the storage vessel as free water. E10 fuel can hold more dissolved water than gasoline, approximately 0.5 percent. When an E10 fuel undergoes phase separation, a separate layer of water with a high percentage of ethanol settles to the bottom of the fuel system. The remainder of the fuel in the upper layer is gasoline containing a small percentage of ethanol. An E10 fuel system near its saturation limit may experience phase separation if there is a sudden drop in temperature."

1 - 4 of 4 Posts