Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
my name is nick, im 19 years of age and i attend ferris state university. I live on campus in big rapids and i love fishing. my home is located on lake st clair and i have fished ever since i was old enough to walk. If anyone else on this board lives in northwest michigan and knows where there is exceptional fishing, please let me know. the muskegeon runs through campus but i have not have good luck on it yet. i hope to try the tippy dam soon for trout and steelhead. maybe someone can give me some information on baits and where exactly to fish. im open to any other suggestions for good places to fish for trout and salmon. feel free to e-mail me at [email protected] or instant message me on a.i.m. at jetskiier85.

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
Hey Nick,
Welcome to the site. Before long you will be fishing when ever you can. Salmon and trout are so addicting. Listen to what these guys say, they really know there stuff and are quite generous. I have met many great friends from here and have learned alot in my 3 years of being part of this site. On the weekdays I rarely ever fish alone because I fish with so many people from this site. I am 18 and in college at Northwestern Michigan and fish almost everyday. When is your spring break? I will more then likely head down to Tippy during my spring break which is the end of march unless I head north. Your more then welcome to join me. I will probably be fishing it on the weekdays to advoid the crowds. I will also be hitting some other great lake tribes.

Let me know!!

·
Premium Member
21,607 Posts
Welcome to Michigan Sportsman.com Rick. It's always good to have you younger guys come in as it really lower the average age of us guys who have been here for a few years.

There is some excellent fishing in the Big Rapids area, especially some of the smaller trout streams. Get a good set of county maps and browse through them on a regular basis.

GR is my hometown and my wife and I go down there at least once a month to visit my mom. We go south on US131, getting by Big Rapids.

Let us know when you'll be heading over to Tippy Dam maybe some of us can meet you there.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks alot for the warm welcome guys. he stelmon, my spring break starts next weekend and i have the whole week off of school. by the time your spring break rolls around, i will be back up at school. if you will be heading to tippy over your spring break, shoot me an e-mail or instant message me or something and we could probablly meet up. what do you usually use as far as rod and reel/tackle? what fish do you catch on that setup? hope to hear from ya.
-nick
[email protected]
aol instant messenger: jetskiier85

·
Premium Member
9,775 Posts
Welcome Rick. I responded to your other post on fishing Tippy and will be in Wellston the last of March through the first week of April. Don't forget you are close to the Muskegon (a little tougher to learn IMO) and the PM.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Welcome Nick! The guys are right. If you want good action, Tippy is the place to be if you're after trout/salmon and it's relatively easy to learn that area. Like Stel said though, you need to know how to work around the crowds. Being from LSC, are you a boatnerd? (Great lakes freighter watcher) Just curious, next to the soo, that's about the best place to be for such things. Welcome again and good luck!!

Sid

·
Premium Member
21,607 Posts
Sid,
I'm not that type of "boat nerd", having only the lower lakers (they go north on this side of the lake) and the few that come into Manistee to get up close to, but I do have an interest in Great Lakes Shipwrecks and am always on the lookout for books on the topic. I already have most of what's in print, Rattigan, Bowens, etc.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
welcome to the site,
I am what you would call a townie. The Mo below croton is just as good of fishing as tippy. So don't overlook it. Learn to read moving water and it becomes a piece of cake. There is some decent fishing for eyes just south of town. The smallies are plentiful there to. The best fishing close to town for a great mix bag of fish is below Rogers dam. It opens back up the last sat. in april. Usually some fast action on eyes in the spring and turns over to smallies as the summer progresses. 10 min. and your there. Be careful There are some big Catfish that from time to time decide they are hungry along with the carp. Check out any of the local lakes they all hold monster largemouths. Now for trout they are around. One just has to look. I don't share them well with others:D . Pm me any specific questions you have on local waters and I will be glad to share. Some of the townies may string me up for sharing some of the spots on a open forum.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Welcome to the site, and dare I say it "GO BLUE!" I'm a Michigan fan, but that's kind of off topic. If you ever do some fishing in SE Michigan look me up.

·
Super Moderator
11,768 Posts
Howdy, md-

Great to have you with us!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts