Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in getting a pair of the FSR's but have noticed a significant price differance. What makes one better than the other? Will they all reach 2 miles as advertised? Am I realy just paying for features? If so what ones should I look for? What seams to be a all around model? I would use them mostley in lower Michigan in the woods and during family camping trips.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I made a number of posts in the past about this before I bought mine...and in the end I found the fr60's to be the ones to get. The fr50's are cheaper yet but you don't get as many channels. If you go into a in area with a lot of people they do fill up fast. The going price is 2 for $100. I used mine a lot over the last few weeks and like them. If you upgrade to the next one then you get a scanner. I felt that I would never use it so I didn't pay the extra money. One person in a later post did say that if you were hurt you could scan until you found someone to help you...I thought that made good sense. Put yea they are all about the same...your just paying for the looks.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
One more thing you asked about the 2 miles...well I did take mine to work (fr60's) and we were able to get about that distance. The area is more like farm out here without all the big woods. But I can say that the work great at a mile and a mile in the woods is a long ways....

·
Registered
302 Posts
I agree with lawnboy (this post only) ;) that the FR 60's are the ones to get. I used them in the UP and got a mile in heavy woods. The ones with less channels have quite a bit lot of competition on them in some areas. They're really handy. The ones in camp this year without them will have them shortly.

G

·
Well everyone has a different answer for you. We use the Midland 501/FRX model 75-501 single channel and they perform very well up to the 2 mile range. We have been using them for about 4 years with no complaints. Hope this helps you decide.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I think if you get 1 to 1 1/2 miles your doing good with any of them. But I thick the Motorola Talkabout 250 is the best they have 14 channels and 38 privacy channels and a scan feature that scans all the channels and Best Buy has them now for $59.95 with a $10.00 rebate.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I talk to hundreds of FRS users in a normal weekend. I have found that the motorola's out perform the Midland brand in voice clarity, but the midlands are a little better priced.
I have a set of Midland speak easy 2's and they work just fine for hunting and fishing. They do pick up more static while in city limits. The Motorolas are a little better but still pick of static sometimes.
As far as the range the 2 mile thing is a median. You might only get a mile in the woods and 2.5 miles on open water. That all depends on the foliage and other interferences that occur in the city.
Usually when there is a price increase it is because of the # of channels, privacy codes, plug in features, light up displays etc.
Three features that I would ask for in a radio is VOX, ability to get accesories like the ear buds, battery charges etc., 14channels + privacy codes(If in a populated area) and at least 2 mile range. I would also ask the salesman about the return policy! a lot of times demonstrations in the store aren't a good indicator of quality merchandise.(seen it a million times). For just about any radio with those features listed above will be around $35 a piece and $99 a piece. The $99's will have additional features like AM/fm radio and a ton of other BS that are designed more for selling than useage.
Like I said I talk to a ton of people that own them and are buying new ones and the only brand that I get consistant negative feedback from is the Cobra brand.
Motorola and Midland have rebates going on right now too + the prices are going down on top of that.
Later

·
Registered
855 Posts
I have had a pair of the Cobra Micro Talk 3's for over a year now. No problems with mine. Mine get used a lot.

In heavily wooded or hilly terrain I wouldn't count on much more than a mile though. :p:

------------------
Neapolis
---------

[This message has been edited by Neapolis (edited 11-26-2000).]

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
I have a pair of the Mot. FR 50's with the ear bud mic's. Luv 'em. We use them turkey hunting and deer hunting. It's nice to be able to call out to others in your hunting party to make a quick move because you saw game moving on by. BTW - the ear buds cut the hand held speaker. No worrys about using the call or squelch features.

Reactions: jumbojake
1 - 9 of 9 Posts