Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to get a new pair of boots for ice fishing - Red Ball just isn't getting it anymore. I'm looking at Cabelas Trans-Alaska III pac boots, supposed to be good to -135 degrees, I'd probably call it a day though if it got much below minus 100 :rolleyes: Anyone have these/are they any good? At $170, I would mind hearing about cheaper alternatives that get the job done...thanks.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
I picked up a pair of Rocky Blizzard Stalkers Boots 1200 grams ($109 at Cabelas). So far my toes have remained warm.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I went to Joe's Army Navy and bought a pair of "Micky Mouse" boots. Best inverstment I've made in cold weather footwear. :D cheap too, I spent 70 bucks, but they had older ones for 40-ish.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Yup # 1 boots are Mikey Mouse, and #2 are lacrosse Icemans, both have kept my feet very warm!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool:

·
Registered
11,728 Posts
Pac boots and one size larger than shoe size. Room for extra layer of socks and still loose enough to not cut off blood circulation.

My best pair of boots are some Pac Boot style work boots with the removable liner. Picked up some extra liners at Ark Surplus in Mt. Clemens. Lot of boots there, too.

·
Administrator
26,929 Posts
I cured my frozen toes by switching to a good pair of 100% wool socks. My feet sweat then get cold with anything but wool. Wool does not hold moisture which in turn get cold. I have just a $35 pair of felt lined boots.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Mickey boots new on Ebay for $70.00. There is not a warmer boot, unless batteries come into play! Also, Lacrosee has upgraded for "Iceman" now the Ice King, triple layer warmth. Usually look for "pack" boots where the toe area looks very inflated, and then one size bigger, with heavy wool socks.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
wool socks are great. or mickys mouse's or both together i think that still beats youre original prices and a gurantee sportmans guid has good prics on boots or sometimes gibraltor has good boots for cheap of course

·
Registered
472 Posts
For ice fishing or any cold weather activity (fishing, late season boating, skiing, etc.), one of the tricks that I have learned is to spray my feet and toes with antiperspirant (like Sure unscented) before I put on my socks. Keeps my feet dry all day long which stops 90% of the cold feet problem. I have done this for both my hands and my feet when cold weather hunting and it works great.

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've got some good wool socks - I'll have to check-out the Mickey boots on ebay. I used to have a pair of boots I was issued in Iceland, just plain canvas boots with wool liners and heavy socks - they were very warm, but wore out after 10 years and I haven't seen anything like'm since. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
If You really like Your wool socks, try adding a pair of the thin polypro or silk liner socks underneath . Makes a BIG differance ! Bob

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
I think many people don't know their feet sweat poly pro &wool If you walk out when you get set up stop and change your socks you will notice your socks are damp I am a sucker for new boots I seem to need a new pair every couple years. it seems they all are cold if your feet are damp

·
Banned
9,792 Posts
roger23 said:
I think many people don't know their feet sweat poly pro &wool If you walk out when you get set up stop and change your socks you will notice your socks are damp I am a sucker for new boots I seem to need a new pair every couple years. it seems they all are cold if your feet are damp
Ditto about what Roger says,dont matter what kinda boot ya have if you dont have the right kinda socks.Wool and polyprolene combonation are great for keeping the sweating foot moisture away.keeping your feet dry is key to having warm toes/feet or frozen ones.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I have been using Lacrosse Icemans since I moved to the midwest. Redballs are nice but only down to around 0.

http://www.northlandmarine.com/LaCrosseMensIceman.html

They've always done the trick for me down to -30. I never worked much below that temp. Theyre rated for -80. Those Snow Squalls look to be a good choice for the price. One thing I've noticed is that the warmer the boot the more feet will sweat.If your feet sweat too much it doesn't matter what theyre rated for. wet feet are cold feet. I think carrying extra liners is the best bet.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I work outside daily and use the black mickey mouse boots and never get cold with just regular socks. But for fishing I ise the white ones because I don't move around as much.

Joe

·
Registered
452 Posts
I bought a pair of Irish Setters 3 years ago that I found in the clearance section because they were size 14. I wear a size 11 1/2. They are a light weight boot but still are rated for -100. Under them I just wear a pair of thin nylon socks that's all. I have never had cold feet even sitting on ice from sun up till sundown.

Most people think the more or thicker socks you wear the warmer your feet will be. The less you wear the warmer you will be. Your feet need room to breath.

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
A lot depends on your circulation system. So I can't say one pair of boots works for me and expect it to work for everybody.

That being said the comments on good socks, wear your boots at least 1 size big, don't lace your boots tight! The key thing is your blood is the heat source, your boots just need to hold that heat to your extremities.

One thing about cold is your body will naturally hoard the blood away from your extremities to protect the core. So what little heat you will get down to your toes, you want it to stay there.

Now Cabelas does make a warmer boot than the ones brought up previously. My friends who ice fish the u.p. all bought Cabelas Volcano boots this year. He swears they are warmer than my icemans, and my pac boots.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts