Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Super Moderator
35,300 Posts
If that 7lber held fourth place after a week of good ice and access to anywhere on the bay. That speaks novels for what the state of the fishery is right now. I know i didnt get anything close to that this week, let alone any decent numbers of fish
I don’t think there is anything negative going on on the larger picture. Every year is different. And one data point is not a trend

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I don’t think there is anything negative going on on the larger picture. Every year is different. And one data point is not a trend
7 days of thousands of anglers and angler hours fishing all parts of the bay is more than one data point. Its a whole weeks worth of data points.

·
Registered
12 Posts
7 days of thousands of anglers and angler hours fishing all parts of the bay is more than one data point. Its a whole weeks worth of data points.
so everyone is in the contest??? i caught a 7.7 andd you will never know about it... dont enter contests and dont brag

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
You can't make an annual trend out of a week. Things change year to year.
I agree with you regarding the statistics element. But, something goofy is happening this year! Looking back the walleye catches have been much better than this year. Is there a special cause, is this an anomaly, our is this year just an outliar.
What changed? I would call this weather situation nothing unusual. I hear the forage base (shad) is high. Is that unusual or is it a normal condition?
Has the loss of the dams a prime contributor?
Everyone is seeing fish but they are not biting.

·
Registered
11,225 Posts
Many people do not enter fishing tournaments so you cannot go just by their data on the state of an overall population of fish.
At the same time.....many people do join tournaments every single year. So you can use their data to see trends. The only way your logic makes sense is if for some reason nobody signs up one year.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Guys im not saying the fishery is in trouble. Im just using it as a measuring stick for the fishing for this week/month. Sure there are a few big fish here and there. But as a whole size is down. Really ever since we got the big snow fishing has sucked. So maybe that darkness shut them down some. Wasnt that long ago if you didnt have a fish over 10 lbs it wasnt worth taking to scales

·
Super Moderator
35,300 Posts
Guys im not saying the fishery is in trouble. Im just using it as a measuring stick for the fishing for this week/month. Sure there are a few big fish here and there. But as a whole size is down. Really ever since we got the big snow fishing has sucked. So maybe that darkness shut them down some. Wasnt that long ago if you didnt have a fish over 10 lbs it wasnt worth taking to scales
2015 or 16 i think it was... really easy to catch a 40 lb bag of 5 walleye on the Detroit River in spring. Just a year or 2 later it got MUCH more difficult. Not as many and not all over like they had been.

Its not necessarily that they don't exist in the bay right now. Maybe they just aren't where most fishermen are. Hard to say without a couple years of info to look at. This "could" simply be a forage availability thing. Time will tell. But I agree the board for a week looks oddly low.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Next week the bite will turn on and everyone will be back to being pros. jk. LOL
What's the big deal, all reports say the fish are there, just not feeding,
Is that something new that just started this this year?
Imo yes. I have never seen it this bad. But thats just me in my small 24ish years fishing the bay

1 - 20 of 89 Posts