Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
It may have lost a bit of its flavor, but as far as being safe to eat, yes it is. I've eaten fish older than that after I had frozen it. It was still tasty but not as good as fresh (of course) and not as tasty as fish that was frozen for only a few weeks, but was still good to eat and filled me up. Use the right breading, fry it up and it will taste great!

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Freezer burn certainly is disgusting to see on fish or meat it is ok (if you can stomach it)to eat.If you see whitened bloches in fish fillets remove it with a sharp knife. A good Vacuum sealer will prevent freezer burn for an extended period...

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Open it up and give it the smell test. If it smells fishy or freezer burnt it's probably best to discard it, otherwise it's a shame to let it go to waste. Salmon and trout tend to go a lot quicker, but I've eaten 3-4 year old Walleye that happened to get lost in the freezer.

·
Registered
165 Posts
They'll be different for sure but 3 yr old frozen perch that have been kept in an ice block or vac bag are still awesome.
Not saying they wouldn't be. I'd be interested if it was a flavor thing, or a texture thing. Maybe a bit of both. Just curious.

Reactions: sureshot006

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
If feeding guests and they comment,just tell them they were freeze dried.....

• Haha
Reactions: motoscoota

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
Not saying they wouldn't be. I'd be interested if it was a flavor thing, or a texture thing. Maybe a bit of both. Just curious.
I have two 12.5" perch that have been frozen whole in the freezer of 2 and a half years now. Guess I could find out this winter, just need to catch a few foot longs to compare them with this winter.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Same question on a couple squirrels in the freezer for 3 months🤣. Thinking salt+sugar brine cures a lot of meat problems:) ...Thinking just like a mega-meat-mart;).

·
Registered
22 Posts
"rule of thumb" use to be 1 year for any protein. When it comes to fish. I never keep more than a few weeks worth as the lions share is given to friends and neighbors who either can't or dont fish but love to eat it. There's more out there somewhere!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts