Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I must not know how to do a search properly. I tried to do a search using the words frost seeding. I got very little back with a bunch of threads that had nothing to do with frost seeding. Anyway my question is at what seeding rate do you frost seed an existing clover plot? I have some qdm ultimate blend left from last year and i thought i would try frost seeding my clover plots with it.

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
halfczech said:
I must not know how to do a search properly. I tried to do a search using the words frost seeding. I got very little back with a bunch of threads that had nothing to do with frost seeding. Anyway my question is at what seeding rate do you frost seed an existing clover plot? I have some qdm ultimate blend left from last year and i thought i would try frost seeding my clover plots with it.
What kind of spreader do you have? How big of an area is going to be frost seeded? How much seed are you talking about?
Generally speaking; I would just set the seeder to the recommended setting for the seed that you are using and cover the thin and bare ground areas.

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
You'd be surprised how much an apparently thin stand of clover planted the previous late summer or fall thickens up. I go by "feel" now, but more typical recommended rates for very thin areas..to just a little in partially thin areas. One thing I have had very little success in is getting brassicas to grow with frost seeding. I tried two years with marginal results, while the clovers within the mix did great. Another year I tried going later in May after most frosts and freezes had passed, and that worked fairly well, and then last year cultipacking broadcasted brassica in May worked very well. The Ultimate mix has brassica in it, which might be wasted with a frost seeding....but the clover will take fine. I haven't run into a problem with overseeding clover...just wasting seed though.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I have a half acre of a soybean field I want to frost seed with clover this spring. The field was weed free in the fall. What is the best clover? Is there round up ready clover? Should I fertilize at the same time? Thanks

Jamie

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Northjeff, thats a bummer about brassicas and frost seeding. My main reason to frost seed the clover plots with the ultimate blend was to get another year of brassica growth in those plots. Maybe It would be better to wait until May and then seed the brassicas before a rain. But that might not work either because by then I would have fert the plots already and they might be too thick and shade and crowd out the new brassicas. Decisions decisions.

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
halfchzeck,

Don't go by my dates, I'm in the U.P. eh!:)

A great time to plant brassicas is a couple weeks after your clover has awakened from it's winter nap..basically when it's sticking up straight, but hasn't started to fill in yet. Brassicas do very well germinating with a little moisture..like planting right before a rain, but they can be outcompeted by thick stands of clover.

This is a late summer clover field that was planted in a rye/oats/clover blend in early August 2004. This picture is in the end of May, 2005, with the rye killed the first of May, and then brassicas broadcast and cultipacked in Mid-May. You can see the little brassica plants growing within. At this point, in this particular location that clover is a little too thick to allow that brassica to grow. The clover at this point has been growing for 9 months, so it has a great root system and is growing pretty quickly with the warm spring weather and great moisture. The clover is not too thick, and not too tall, YET, but for a referrance you can see it's just a little too thick for the brassica, in my experience. So, if you can imagine that clover at about 1/2 that size, and 1/2 that wide..that's the time you want to broadcast your brassica by so it doesn't get choked out. This is a great method to use when adding spring brassica to a late summer planting of grain and clover, because the clover was planted late in the season for the optimum time of the grains. I've found even a month earlier planting in the late summer, say a planting time for a clover/brassica combo instead of a grain/clover combo...is probably too thick in the spring to take advantage of a brassica broadcasting. You can see the chicory does very well in the spring and comes up pretty quick compared to the clover.

Also, I'd just fertalize when I broadcasted the brassica...can you cultipack? That greatly aids germination of the brassica!

This is what the broadcasted brassica grows into by Mid to late June....minus the little monkey with the red shirt!:) You can see some of the left-over rye in the background, chicory, and clover. This was in a spot thin enough to allow the brassica to grow..some areas are better than others but if the brassica doesn't grow because the chicory and clover is so thick...that's not necessarily a bad thing!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Northjeff, thanks for the info. I like the idea of fert and broadcasting the brassica on the same day. the clover will just be starting to grow and the brassica will be there to take advantage of the fert. timeing is the thing.need to do it before the clover takes off but not too early that a frost would kill the young brassicas. my props in gladwin county , thinking late april might work.

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
Brassica can take a little frost and freeze..much more than buckwheat, which can't take any. I was going to wait until the last part of April, and then look at the extended forecast. If numerous frosts and freezes are in the forecast, I'll wait, and if that's the case the clover isn't going to do much either. But, as soon as it's late April and there is no frost and freezes in the forecast, I'm broadcasting the brassica.

Timing is critical, but if you have at least 50% of your soil exposed and the clover and the frost and freezes are out of the forecast...the time is right.

Hope it works for you..you might find great luck in some areas, and marginal in others, but overall you should be pleased.

·
Registered
18,038 Posts
I have frost seeded to supplement my clover plots. One problem I've had with frost seeding is my plots are covered with leaves and the small seeds cannot make firm contact with the ground. I've hand raked small plots and then seeded, but this is a nusiance. Also I've noticed that a fall seeded plot has delicate small plants in early spring and they will pull out when raking.

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
Hamilton..have you ever tried cultipacking at that time? One thing to do to is just wait until a little later in spring, when the ground is not too soft, but there is still moisture in the forecast. Just broadcast and cultipack, the young clover and even chicory can take it quite well, and with a little moisture in the air you'll experience great germination.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Is it possible to frost seed or bradcast into a fall planted ww and rye field? I have about 3/4 acre worth of biolgic maximum seed left from last fall. I was also thinking of putting in a strip of clover as well. My plan was starting along the woodline to do a strip of brassica then a strip of clover finally a travel route of corn along the property line.

·
Registered
5,395 Posts
How well would a planting of brassicas do in slightly wetter soil
Dave

1 - 12 of 12 Posts