Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 281 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
Let me start with a little background. I’ve been in the coast guard for 10 years and have served on the East coast, the Gulf, and the lakes of Michigan. My last few years I have been serving on the Lake St. Clair, Detroit river, and the west side of Lake Erie. I have seen hundreds of post on Facebook and this forum and have received numerous phone calls and have even spoke to some of you out on the water about the current “no motorized boating” order.
To start, for legal reasons i have to stay this. “WHAT I SAY DOES NOT REPRESENT THE THOUGHTS OR ACTION OF THE COAST GUARD”
1.) Yes, it’s true; we can not enforce this state order because we are Federal. BUT, we will ask if you know about the order and inform you it’s a $1,000 fine (as we’ve been told by DNR.) if you do not seem to care about what we told you we WILL give DNR your boat numbers, location, and the marina you launched out of. So far everyone we’ve called in about DNR as come out ASAP.
2.) Yes, the Detroit river, St. Clair, and the Great Lakes are federal water ways. BUT that does not mean you do not fall under the jurisdiction of the state while you are out there. Just because you’re in federal water ways does not mean you can get away with disobeying the order. Here’s an example, no wake zones; state enforced, but on federal waterways.
3.) No, if you go and fish in Canada you will not be out of our Jurisdiction people. We have a bilateral agreement with Canada with the “Ship rider Program.” So we can very easily cross the border and enforce laws. Even if we can’t get a Canadian rider with us we can very easily shadow you and wait for you to come back, or just get your numbers from a distance.
I’ve seen your post, i hear your complaints, and i understand your frustration. Trust me, i enjoy going out on my own boat and i enjoy talking to you all out on the water and i love how busy we get during the summer saving lives. If we do stop and talk to you while we are out there just know we’re not trying to be jerks, we’re not infringing on your rights, we’re trying to avoid people getting a large fine just because they’re doing something they love that has been stripped from them. If you have any questions i did not answer please feel free to leave a reply and i will get back to you.
P.S. to the person that posted saying they’ve been stopped by us on the river with a guy on a mounted .50cal...that’s just absurd. We can not carry a .50cal on our small boats and have not had a larger caliber gun in a very long time in Michigan.

·
Registered
316 Posts
""Boating falls within the outdoor activities permitted under the order," the website says. "Any outdoor activity, including boating, must be done in a manner consistent with social distancing, and individuals should use only their own equipment to prevent the transmission of the virus through the touching of shared surfaces. Additionally, in accordance with section 2 of the order, persons not part of a single household may not boat together."

There were boats all over the river with 3+ guys, not social distancing. Why weren't you giving DNR the MC numbers, location, and the marinas launched out of?

·
Registered
316 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Hello everyone,
Let me start with a little background. I’ve been in the coast guard for 10 years and have served on the East coast, the Gulf, and the lakes of Michigan. My last few years I have been serving on the Lake St. Clair, Detroit river, and the west side of Lake Erie. I have seen hundreds of post on Facebook and this forum and have received numerous phone calls and have even spoke to some of you out on the water about the current “no motorized boating” order.
To start, for legal reasons i have to stay this. “WHAT I SAY DOES NOT REPRESENT THE THOUGHTS OR ACTION OF THE COAST GUARD”
1.) Yes, it’s true; we can not enforce this state order because we are Federal. BUT, we will ask if you know about the order and inform you it’s a $1,000 fine (as we’ve been told by DNR.) if you do not seem to care about what we told you we WILL give DNR your boat numbers, location, and the marina you launched out of. So far everyone we’ve called in about DNR as come out ASAP.
2.) Yes, the Detroit river, St. Clair, and the Great Lakes are federal water ways. BUT that does not mean you do not fall under the jurisdiction of the state while you are out there. Just because you’re in federal water ways does not mean you can get away with disobeying the order. Here’s an example, no wake zones; state enforced, but on federal waterways.
3.) No, if you go and fish in Canada you will not be out of our Jurisdiction people. We have a bilateral agreement with Canada with the “Ship rider Program.” So we can very easily cross the border and enforce laws. Even if we can’t get a Canadian rider with us we can very easily shadow you and wait for you to come back, or just get your numbers from a distance.
I’ve seen your post, i hear your complaints, and i understand your frustration. Trust me, i enjoy going out on my own boat and i enjoy talking to you all out on the water and i love how busy we get during the summer saving lives. If we do stop and talk to you while we are out there just know we’re not trying to be jerks, we’re not infringing on your rights, we’re trying to avoid people getting a large fine just because they’re doing something they love that has been stripped from them. If you have any questions i did not answer please feel free to leave a reply and i will get back to you.
P.S. to the person that posted saying they’ve been stopped by us on the river with a guy on a mounted .50cal...that’s just absurd. We can not carry a .50cal on our small boats and have not had a larger caliber gun in a very long time in Michigan.
So, I appreciate you coming on the forum to share some information.

My single question is, have you actually read the EO 2020-42?
It literally doesn't even say "motorboat" anywhere in the document. The DNR's reference to the FAQs doesn't constitute ANY legal basis for a citation. I'd love to see my citation missing the MCL or EO.
I don't want this to come across as hostile towards you. I simply ask you read the EO before you cause legal boaters a great inconvenience.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
""Boating falls within the outdoor activities permitted under the order," the website says. "Any outdoor activity, including boating, must be done in a manner consistent with social distancing, and individuals should use only their own equipment to prevent the transmission of the virus through the touching of shared surfaces. Additionally, in accordance with section 2 of the order, persons not part of a single household may not boat together."

There were boats all over the river with 3+ guys, not social distancing. Why weren't you giving DNR the MC numbers, location, and the marinas launched out of?
Hello and thank you for elaborating.
To answer your question we were in fact enforcing this. I ran into numerous boats where people were not able to observe “social distance” because the size and amount of people on the vessel. That being said we were told to treat it as a recommendation and to encourage people to practice what the order asked. The new order has a fine attached to it for people not complying. The original order did not.

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
This may be directed at me. If so quoted wrong. I mentioned a time my dad said he and his buddy were stopped. This was a very long time ago, war time. Dad was in a flat bottom plywood boat. Shallow water at night. No lights. CG boat was larger and could not go shallow.

Dad's Buddy was driving and wasnt going to stop. CG blow horn warned if they don't stop they would open fire. Buddy went to CG boat. Dad says CG guy on bow with .50... dad says they also had to carry some kind of card to be on the Detroit River at that time. I wasn't there let alone born yet. Fwiw dad also calls any black rifles AKs.

So guess question would be was CG armed at night patroling the Detroit River during the war?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hell
So, I appreciate you coming on the forum to share some information.

My single question is, have you actually read the EO 2020-42?
It literally doesn't even say "motorboat" anywhere in the document. The DNR's reference to the FAQs doesn't constitute ANY legal basis for a citation. I'd love to see my citation missing the MCL or EO.
I don't want this to come across as hostile towards you. I simply ask you read the EO before you cause legal boaters a great inconvenience.

Hello and thank you for asking! I am not taking this in a hostile way at all and I’m more than able to answer your question.
Here is a quote directly from Michigan.gov website regarding someone asking if boating was considered to be an “out door activity” under 2020-42.
“Physical outdoor activity like kayaking, canoeing, and sailing is permitted under the order, but using a motorboat, a jet ski, or other similar watercraft is not.”

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This may be directed at me. If so quoted wrong. I mentioned a time my dad said he and his buddy were stopped. This was a very long time ago, war time. Dad was in a flat bottom plywood boat. Shallow water at night. No lights. CG boat was larger and could not go shallow.

Dad's Buddy was driving and wasnt going to stop. CG blow horn warned if they don't stop they would open fire. Buddy went to CG boat. Dad says CG guy on bow with .50... dad says they also had to carry some kind of card to be on the Detroit River at that time. I wasn't there let alone born yet. Fwiw dad also calls any black rifles AKs.

So guess question would be was CG armed at night patroling the Detroit River during the war?
Hello and thank you for replying!
I believe what i read the other day was you. I could not find the post today so i tried my best to recall what it said off memory. Either way i still find this to be a funny story! Times were pretty crazy back then I’m sure. Also there’s many reasons we would be out there late at night during war...it’s our job.

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
Hello and thank you for replying!
I believe what i read the other day was you. I could not find the post today so i tried my best to recall what it said off memory. Either way i still find this to be a funny story! Times were pretty crazy back then I’m sure. Also there’s many reasons we would be out there late at night during war...it’s our job.
Many reasons back then. Then two idiot kids. Lol dads 92 now. The buddy became dads Bil, The both told that story many times and laugh about it....

Post was Line in the sand. Sound off.

Thanks for replying and thank you for your service.

·
Banned
37,197 Posts
Hey Anonymous,

Look up some of the history of the USCG on the Great Lakes. You will find there were once light ships on the lakes. Our next door neighbor, when I was growing up, was stationed on one on LSC. He would go out for several days, then be off for a few. I believe he was the ranking officer when he was on duty, but, we are talking about a very old memory and I may be mistaken about that. I know he was an officer.

Those light ships are no longer out there.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Thank you for your service, my son is in the Air Force. However I'm troubled with foreign businessmen and their crafts haveing more rights on AMERICAN waterways that my family (and yourself) have fought for! Is this correct? Canadian businesses have more rights on our American waterways than us Americans who reside in Michigan? And if so, how can the superiors in the military look at our flag and feel good about what they're helping a governor of a state do? it's a sad time in America if this is true, foreign businessmen have more rights on our waterways than American citizens.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Hell

Hello and thank you for asking! I am not taking this in a hostile way at all and I’m more than able to answer your question.
Here is a quote directly from Michigan.gov website regarding someone asking if boating was considered to be an “out door activity” under 2020-42.
“Physical outdoor activity like kayaking, canoeing, and sailing is permitted under the order, but using a motorboat, a jet ski, or other similar watercraft is not.”
Your response is referencing the FAQ (frequently asked questions) section of the website. None of the verbage you quoted is actually found in the legal executive order. Respectfully, you and I both know that the EO or MCL would need to be listed on the citation. FAQs are not law binding in any capacity.
As a general principle, something that needs to be clarified, is poorly written - especially since the governor could have copy and pasted the quoted section directly to the order.
Also, have you considered that fishing-being legal-is getting food, which is authorized by section 7a/subsection 6a?

I've added the activities section from the most current EO-2020-42. Again I'll ask if indeed your are enforcing law or harassing fisherman?

·
Premium Member
14,465 Posts
Hello everyone,
As long as we seem to care about what you tell us about the order, then you won’t call the DNR on us? Just trying to get clarification about your post in regards to making contact. Thanks for being out there and helping when needed.

1 - 20 of 281 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.