Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
701 - 720 of 750 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,464 Posts
Won’t be long until Michigan’s deer regulations are as liberal as the Southeast states like pathetic GA, AL, MS, LA & TN 3 month rifle seasons. They don’t just have BAD management. They have NO management. It’s why all I see is plates from these states in our Illinois public lots all November. I live 15 minutes from the Michigan state line and would not dream of wasting even one day of the rut there.

I feel sympathetic to legitimate MI deer hunters who dream of a well managed herd. A shame because it has so much potential and could be so good.
I'm from South Georgia and I'm calling BS on your non management statement..can't speak for the rest of the southern states but I know you're not right about Georgia. Their management stuff has gone crazy stupid the last 20 years. Back it up with some data and I'll take a look and talk to the boys down home. They drunk the Kool aid down there years ago and are regretting it...the farmers are still shooting deer off their porches to save the crops..

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Currently. Without regard to the fact that it's the absolute simplest thing to change about the season. A friggin title standing in the way? Lmao
Then they should lobby to have it changed upfront not Trojan horse the thing.

Im glad we agree that the air”bow” does not fit in archery. November 15th that baby and i could give a

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
60 Posts
I live / have lived in and hunt FL, Ga, Al, Ms, and Tn. I have shot and seen WAY MORE DEER AND BUCKS, THAN I EVER SAW IN MY TEN YEARS OF MI HUNTING.
Hell of a lot better hunting than Mi. Just my opinion.
And I don't need managing. Hunting in my eyes is a right, not a privilege.
View attachment 838875
Sure. But all dinks & does. 😂 That’s why they all flock to Illinois, a state with some semblance of management. Why else would they vacate their states in November? How many 195’s have you shot in Michigan lately?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
The whole thread was about a potential change...
Yes, but not about changing what the season is. Im done discussing this at this point. I will be on the losing side and this will be implemented eventually. other things we aren’t even privy to at this point more than likely will follow. Will be interesting to watch over the years, but i do not have faith anything good will come from the direction things seem to be going. I would guess archery only will be gone in the next 15-20

·
Registered
852 Posts
Won’t be long until Michigan’s deer regulations are as liberal as the Southeast states like pathetic GA, AL, MS, LA & TN 3 month rifle seasons. They don’t just have BAD management. They have NO management. It’s why all I see is plates from these states in our Illinois public lots all November. I live 15 minutes from the Michigan state line and would not dream of wasting even one day of the rut there. 😂

I feel sympathetic to legitimate MI deer hunters who dream of a well managed herd. A shame because it has so much potential and could be so good.
Define "well managed herd".

·
45,091 Posts
Yes, but not about changing what the season is. Im done discussing this at this point. I will be on the losing side and this will be implemented eventually. other things we aren’t even privy to at this point more than likely will follow. Will be interesting to watch over the years, but i do not have faith anything good will come from the direction things seem to be going. I would guess archery only will be gone in the next 15-20

So what is "is"? Lol

·
Registered
229 Posts
I
Sure. But all dinks & does. 😂 That’s why they all flock to Illinois, a state with some semblance of management. Why else would they vacate their states in November? How many 195’s have you shot in Michigan lately?

Ya, you're right...I'm sure you know better than I. ....all dinks and does. I would never come down here hunting...it sucks. Just stay in the Soviet Republic of Michigan with your 2 weeks and no fishing during COVID laws.

We'll just keep chewing toebackee and humping our cousins.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm from South Georgia and I'm calling BS on your non management statement..can't speak for the rest of the southern states but I know you're not right about Georgia. Their management stuff has gone crazy stupid the last 20 years. Back it up with some data and I'll take a look and talk to the boys down home. They drunk the Kool aid down there years ago and are regretting it...the farmers are still shooting deer off their porches to save the crops..
Three month rifle buck seasons ain’t gonna do nuthin to reduce the Georgia herd. Not when 99% of your hunters pass on dinks & does. It’s the mature bucks that GA lacks. The guys that come here are looking for those mature bucks. Trust me, I meet them in person every November on our public lands.

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
Waif I understand your point here I do. To me compounds are traditional. I was born in 91. Its all ive ever known or been brought up around. So I do understand the culture shock aspect.

So with your traditional compound do you use a release and sights? Or are you old school fingers and instinctive shooting .

Reactions: Sharkbait11

·
Registered
852 Posts
Extremely easy answer. Managed by wildlife professionals at the DNR. Not by corrupt politicians. In this case, greased by the air bow industry association.
Simple - yet a non-answer.

I did not ask " who" .

I asked for a definition of "well managed herd".

What are the attributes of a well managed herd?

Oh - and please give us a trade group contact point for the nefarious "Airbow Industry Association".... I can' t find them on Linkedin or any other trade site.....

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
So with your traditional compound do you use a release and sights? Or are you old school fingers and instinctive shooting .
First release i had was a pinch pad. I have a mechanical release due to the draw weight and that im not a fan of rolling my cables off my cams.

I also shoot a pin sight. People were developing pin sights in the 1870s btw.

Font Parallel Brand Graphics Photo caption

·
Registered
21,935 Posts
First release i had was a pinch pad. I have a mechanical release due to the draw weight and that im not a fan of rolling my cables off my cams.

I also shoot a pin sight. People were developing pin sights in the 1870s btw.

View attachment 838886

What are you drawing that you need a release, 150 lbs.? ( l.o.l..)

Short axel bows often want a mechanical release due to sharp string angle at full draw pinching fingers enough to affect accuracy. No sense or ethic in sending a wobbly shot at game.

Reactions: riverbob

·
Registered
60 Posts
Simple - yet a non-answer.

I did not ask " who" .

I asked for a definition of "well managed herd".

What are the attributes of a well managed herd?

Oh - and please give us a trade group contact point for the nefarious "Airbow Industry Association".... I can' t find them on Linkedin or any other trade site.....
You're kidding. Right? You did take hunter's education at some point in your life, didn't you? Do you recall the basic principals taught in chapter 1?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
There is no fix for stupid!
Unfortunately I see more stupid buy xguns every year than not. And hear far more...the broadhead didn't open....or ...I thought he was 35 aimed for 30 and missed. "Well little difference between 35 and 30" so would have missed either way. While I'm not an expert I see and sell a few hundred xguns a year so have a pretty good sample size.

·
Registered
39,736 Posts
Why are you trying to spin this a different direction by accusing me of saying something I didn't? I just pointed out the fact that it takes little skill to shoot a crossbow.

FYI! I guarantee it took you longer to be proficient with a compound vs a xbow.
You are right but 10 more practice shots is not that high of a bar to obtain. Let’s face it compounds or crossbows are very simple to become deadly with. What’s the definition of longer, a half hour or maybe 45 minutes if you lack eye hand coordination? You have to admit they both fit the definition of hitting the easy button.

701 - 720 of 750 Posts