Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Cant tell which is uglier, the guys holding them or the fish!!!!:lol::lol:

Nice job you two!!!! I bet when I called at 4am, you 2 were both sleeping with a rod in your hands!!!!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Nice job, definitely 4 different year classes which is nice to see.

Also I think that is the first tag I have seen this year in pics, so the population must be doing well overall. Be interesting to hear back from the tag.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rick-Haven't seen you out there lately. Better get fishing.
Ted-We had some thirst quenchers with us.
Wannabapro- I did send an email to Mike Thomas. Will let you guys know when I hear back from him. You are absolutley right about the year classes. It is great to see that kind of age distribution. There must be a pretty good number of fish in the sytem. Catching a tagged on is pretty rare.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Jim,
Thank you for taking me last night. I have to admit your lit tip was a grand idea that I will use in the future. I must admit I gave those Goldens a heck of a chance and will never let them grace my amusement ride again. Had we not run out of worms I believe we would have stayed until sun up.
Jimmy O' Boy you took me to school last night. Lets get together again to finish out the 08 season.
Tom

·
Super Moderator
27,460 Posts
Jim,
Thank you for taking me last night. I have to admit your lit tip was a grand idea that I will use in the future. I must admit I gave those Goldens a heck of a chance and will never let them grace my amusement ride again. Had we not run out of worms I believe we would have stayed until sun up.
Jimmy O' Boy you took me to school last night. Lets get together again to finish out the 08 season.
Tom
Tom, using those lites makes it alot easier in the dark. I use 2"ers. Got them on e-bay for 12.5 cents each. Been using them for 3 years now.

Nice to see you out there with Jim. Wished I knew that was you when Jim motored by.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Mike using those glow sticks made it easy to see if a hit happened, Less fatigue while fishing. Good idea.
Tom

·
Super Moderator
27,460 Posts
Mike using those glow sticks made it easy to see if a hit happened, Less fatigue while fishing. Good idea.
Tom
Tom, I got 100 of them.(got them on ebay) I can spare some if you like. They come in 5-pks. I tape a piece of tubing to the tip of the pole and just slide a new one in each trip. Will stay lit the whole nite.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Nice to see you had a muitlple fish night Jim. Home projects and family obligations are still keeping me off the river more than I would like. We did try a few more spots in the upper part of the St. Clair River last week with no luck. So, I'll be heading back down Algonac way hopefully a few more times before seasons end.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Rick-Haven't seen you out there lately. Better get fishing.
Ted-We had some thirst quenchers with us.
Wannabapro- I did send an email to Mike Thomas. Will let you guys know when I hear back from him. You are absolutley right about the year classes. It is great to see that kind of age distribution. There must be a pretty good number of fish in the sytem. Catching a tagged on is pretty rare.
I haven't seen an e-mail on the tagged sturgeon yet, so I'm guessing something went haywire somewhere along the way. Please try it again Treeman. My e-mail address is: [email protected]

Thanks. - Mike
Mike Thomas
Fisheries Research Biologist
MDNR Lake St. Clair Fisheries Research Station

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I resent the information. Just in case you do not get it, here it is.

Hey Mike. The sturgeon I caught was tag # 1877. He was 50 7/8 inches and was caught near the center of the north channel in 51 ft of water just upstream of the Sni. We did not get a girth measurement. The fish was clean and healthy with average girth and no lampreys. It is the center fish in the above pictures.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Treeman: I'm glad you posted the information here, because I didn't get your e-mail note, even after you sent it a second time. Normally, I'd send you a letter by USPS mail, but will post it here. If you want the official letter on DNR letterhead, just get your mailing address to me and I'll send it out. Here's the information on the fish....

Thank you for reporting the capture and release of a tagged lake sturgeon. Fish #1877 was originally captured and tagged by personnel from this station on May 9, 2000. It was caught on a survey setline in the North Channel of the St. Clair River near Sassy Marina. The fish was then tagged and released. At that time, the fish was 36.3 inches long, weighed 9.5 pounds, and was 9 years old. You caught #1877 on September 26, 2008, in the North Channel just upstream from the Sni Bora, about 1.6 miles downstream from the original capture location. Based on the tag recovery information you reported, the fish was 50.9 inches long. The fish was 17 years old, and had grown about 14.6 inches during the 8 years (3,062 days) since the original capture and tagging event.

The tagging and tracking of lake sturgeon in the St. Clair River and Lake St. Clair is a crucial step in learning details of the life history and habitat requirements of this unique species. Your voluntary reporting of the capture of this fish will contribute toward improving our knowledge of sturgeon movements and growth in these waters. Thank you for reporting the capture of the tagged sturgeon. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to call me or stop by the office.

Sincerely,
Michael V. Thomas
Fisheries Research Biologist
Lake St. Clair Fisheries Research Station
33135 S. River Rd.
Harrison Twp., MI 48045
(586) 465-4771
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mike, Thanks for sharing this information and for the great job you guys do on managing the fisheries. No need to send a letter. Glad you look in on these posts once in a while. I hope it helps you to keep tabs on this valuable resource. I know that the people on this forum have a great respect for these magnificent fish and practice catch and release. If there is any other way we can be of help please let us know.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Great job on both ends here guys, nice to see people working together. Interesting info on the fish as well.

·
Super Moderator
27,460 Posts
Jim, by the graph that I have from the DNR. a 50" sturgeon has an average age of 21 years and should weigh from 27 lbs to 39 lbs depending on girth (based on 51"). So that one being 17 years old is doing a little better than average growth wise.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Jim, by the graph that I have from the DNR. a 50" sturgeon has an average age of 21 years and should weigh from 27 lbs to 39 lbs depending on girth (based on 51"). So that one being 17 years old is doing a little better than average growth wise.
I believe alot of the data that was used to create the graph you are reffering to was from samples taken from Wisconsin fish (larger fish). I am sure that Mike will comment more about this if he is keeping taps on this thread.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts