Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Fished musky along part of the channel Sunday. No freighters, no fish. Probably wasn't gonna get bit anyway lol
I'm casting this week come hell or high water !....

·
45,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
I'm casting this week come hell or high water !....
Well I doubt the water will be high lol

I got out late and didn't fish long. Casted some but wasn't thrilled with the weed growth yet. Other areas no doubt would have been better. But again, I got out late. And... I really should have gone to a different spot first to try casting, where weeds would be better.

·
Super Moderator
22,789 Posts
Yeah but nah....if freighters "turned on" the bite for Walleye, you'd see it especially in spring when boats are so concentrated.....with all your, our time on the water, ya'd be saying "here comes a freighter, get ready" lol....
Probably not much during the spawn when fish are typically shallower. Now during this time of year....

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I've been out whipping into and past Christmas. We'd sit out there on the Canadian side whipping for 3 hours, nothing. Not a tap. Freighter lights rounding the bend north of Marysville, fish on for both of us. Those fish anticipate the freighter. Could be the vibration, the sound, or just stirs up the baitfish. It's a thing for real!

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
I've been out whipping into and past Christmas. We'd sit out there on the Canadian side whipping for 3 hours, nothing. Not a tap. Freighter lights rounding the bend north of Marysville, fish on for both of us. Those fish anticipate the freighter. Could be the vibration, the sound, or just stirs up the baitfish. It's a thing for real!
How deep are you whipping, just curious....Dec. & cold WT's....Walleye like a moving bait #1....maybe the shallower you are makes a difference ?....but I have never seen it during warm water times, on the move, not whipping....you gotta be out of the freighters way, so I'm guessing on a "bank/dropoff" ?....I'm a whipping dummy, lol....it's interesting stuff....

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
How deep are you whipping, just curious....Dec. & cold WT's....Walleye like a moving bait #1....maybe the shallower you are makes a difference ?....but I have never seen it during warm water times, on the move, not whipping....you gotta be out of the freighters way, so I'm guessing on a "bank/dropoff" ?....I'm a whipping dummy, lol....it's interesting stuff....
18-20 fow. Barely twitch that bait, like ice fishing. They hammer it when they find it. Full moon also helps immensely

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Thats Sturgeon fishing depth on the D in the fall....according to both my dads and the USFWS's info, lol....on the "bank"....I like it....cheers....

61 - 68 of 68 Posts