Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
13,802 Posts
Aggregating everything mentioned here, it seems a freighter's impact on improving the bite is is greater in shallow water, but the deeper the river is, it gets to a point where there's a negligible impact. That directionally makes sense. Fill up a shot glass and a bath tup, then throw an ice cube into each, and then remove it. One of those "bodies of water" saw some dramatic changes while with the other it was largely unnoticeable.

·
Super Moderator
38,273 Posts
I know for a fact that freighters will get fish biting, Had a buddy who lived on the Pine in St Clair across from the launch. When a freighter came by, especially upbound on the big river, the lower Pine will actually reverse flow, and all the crawdads and minnows had to move to readjust their location in relation to the current break they were using. Fish would feed actively during the rreversal and reverting back to normal flow, then it would get quiet again.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Always noticed freighters leave a mud trail on Erie going into the raisin…I say they definitely move fish…we’ve had large boats come full throttle pass us and the wake from their boat triggered bites..
I saw the mud from this guy last week. Don't think it triggered any bites for us though.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

Reactions: motoscoota

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Everyone can only speak from their experience, as myself....and that has crazy influences on what people believe, lol....I think all species and the "circumstances" are all different too....

Shallow water like when we Perch fish, I can see the "tidal effect"....shallow too for Musky, only I think it hurts not helps, because of their lateral line again, ??!!.... 700 Musky & only one with a freighter in view, & right close to us....it hit a slow creeper topwater, I say again, for us, that's 699 Musky with no ship in sight ??!!??....

Deep Walleye or Musky in the river, well Musky are far & few between....but Walleye, I have never seen an increase of the bite....in the spring every time a freighter blows it's horn 15 times to wake boats up, lol....if it helped, nets would start flying & that don't happen, just my observation....

One time at N Fighting Isl, I did watch a Bald Eagle come swooping down, still in the ships, what's the word....swirling wake, right behind the ship & it snagged a fish off the surface....I remember thinking, wow #1....then, it was right behind a commercial ship with a steelmill in the back ground with Detroit's silhouette too....both pretty cool but kinda sad too :confused: ....

Should add, we fish river Walleye shallow all summer 11' - 15' and have never seen a increase of hits for sure either....cheers....

·
45,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Everyone can only speak from their experience, as myself....and that has crazy influences on what people believe, lol....I think all species and the "circumstances" are all different too....

Shallow water like when we Perch fish, I can see the "tidal effect"....shallow too for Musky, only I think it hurts not helps, because of their lateral line again, ??!!.... 700 Musky & only one with a freighter in view, & right close to us....it hit a slow creeper topwater, I say again, for us, that's 699 Musky with no ship in sight ??!!??....

Deep Walleye or Musky in the river, well Musky are far & few between....but Walleye, I have never seen an increase of the bite....in the spring every time a freighter blows it's horn 15 times to wake boats up, lol....if it helped, nets would start flying & that don't happen, just my observation....

One time at N Fighting Isl, I did watch a Bald Eagle come swooping down, still in the ships, what's the word....swirling wake, right behind the ship & it snagged a fish off the surface....I remember thinking, wow #1....then, it was right behind a commercial ship with a steelmill in the back ground with Detroit's silhouette too....both pretty cool but kinda sad too :confused: ....

Should add, we fish river Walleye shallow all summer 11' - 15' and have never seen a increase of hits for sure either....cheers....
I'd say walleye are far too plentiful to see any difference without taking lots of notes.

The idea of fish being moved seems plausible. I think distance to the actual vessel would have an impact.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
I'd say walleye are far too plentiful to see any difference without taking lots of notes.
Yeah but nah....if freighters "turned on" the bite for Walleye, you'd see it especially in spring when boats are so concentrated.....with all your, our time on the water, ya'd be saying "here comes a freighter, get ready" lol....

41 - 60 of 68 Posts