Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,956 Posts
Guess I never really paid too much attention because most of time I’m doing the Detroit disco on the bow from their wake. I ll have to pay more attention

·
45,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I personally haven't related it so much with walleye but I think that's mostly because they're easier to catch overall. Anecdotally it seems to be pretty clear with musky. Not having compiled data, it seems I catch significantly more when freighters are going by.

That is... in years past since I haven't even been after them yet this year!

·
Registered
705 Posts
Sturgeon are famous for kicking up when freighters roll thru, and big ones often swim right into the propeller and get their heads chopped off.

·
Premium Member
13,956 Posts
Sturgeon are famous for kicking up when freighters roll thru, and big ones often swim right into the propeller and get their heads chopped off.
How do you know that.

·
Registered
705 Posts
How do you know that.
Time on the water...
1) It's a concensus among pier fisherman in the region I fished a lot.
2) I witnessed the freighter bite.
3) I've seen the damaged fish.

Plus...
There were some photos circulating here on MS, last year - people asking why they kept seeing sturgeon heads floating on The D.

·
Premium Member
13,956 Posts
Time on the water...

Plus...
There were some photos circulating here on MS, last year - people asking why they kept seeing sturgeon heads floating on The D.
Wow. Never have seen that

·
Registered
151 Posts
Freighter fish are real. Doobie fish are real as well. My old man says he catches one every time he lights a cigar, but I don't smoke cigars so I can't confirm that one. Also if you're whippin and you set your rod in a holder to piss watch your rod tip because you will get a bite mid-leak. Covered myself in piss trying to set the hook on those darn things.

·
Registered
13,802 Posts
Time on the water...

Plus...
I saw a headless carcass last year floating down my river, and just this week saw another report. But I don't think it's from the head getting cut off by props (or even fishermen as has also been speculated). The skin on sturgeon is very tough, especially the belly. Last year I tried using the belly section of my slot fish for cut bait, and it took at least a full minute to work a single hook through it past the barb. It sure was a great finger workout. I think when one dies and eventually bloats up, the "neck" section of the fish behind the gills and in front of where the tough stomach skin starts is the weak spot and the fish will naturally split open there. Without a boney skeleton to help hold the head on, it will separate a lot easier than what you'd see with a boney fish. If it really were prop strikes, after handling several hundred sturgeon over the last few years, I'd expect to see some scaring from a light strike that wasn't enough to kill the fish, but I haven't. Also, I don't think all the fish have an agreement in place that they will all throw themselves into propellers so that their heads get cut off all in the exact same place. There would be dead fish cut more or less in half, or mangled noses, etc.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts