Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
Im the one out of porthuron going to get him cant wait I have a huge fenced in yard and its just me and him ill keep you posted
Good man. Love these kinds of stories, I hope it works out for both of you.

Reactions: dthur and Timber

·
Registered
74 Posts
Well my new hunting buddy is turning out to be a great dog hes been home for 24 hrs no accidents in the house 5 oclock this morning he showed me how fast he could go over a 4 ft fence but I called him he came right back to night I had him out for about a hour. No problem told him to heel he come right to my side thanks vicky and rod

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
Lol.I have one female at 39 pounds and everyday when I get home and let her out she hops the fence circles my truck trying to get in then comes to the front door.She's got spring in her step.Then she jumps straight up into my arms and perches on my shoulders. She can't stand not being around me all the time

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Well my new hunting buddy is turning out to be a great dog hes been home for 24 hrs no accidents in the house 5 oclock this morning he showed me how fast he could go over a 4 ft fence but I called him he came right back to night I had him out for about a hour. No problem told him to heel he come right to my side thanks vicky and rod
You are so welcome! Thank you for giving him a good home! :)

Now that you know he is a fence jumper (many dogs are not), you need to think about some things. I am not sure if you plan to leave him outside for any length of time, but I would check with your township/city to see if they allow for an outdoor kennel run ... you may want to invest one for his safety. The number one reason for male dogs being hit by cars is for ROAMING. This is very common while any female dogs are in heat because they can smell them literally for miles! Any breed female dog in heat (2 weeks twice a year - all at various times yearly) may cause him to take off. That is one bad thing about him NOT be neutered so you may want to have him neutered for that reason. Not sure if he has ever been bred before, but if he has, you will "NOT" be able to stop him from going over that fence in a heartbeat if he smells a female in heat. If he is good inside crated while you are gone with no accidents, that is awesome! Honestly, it is impossible to keep an eye on an active bird dog all of the time, so you may need to look at other options for some of his outdoor time to keep him safe while you are NOT around ...

·
Banned
37,197 Posts
Honestly, it is impossible to keep an eye on an active bird dog all of the time, so you may need to look at other options for some of his outdoor time to keep him safe while you are NOT around ...
Very good advice and it applies to any of the active breeds. There are no better escape artists out there than beagles.

·
Registered
74 Posts
After that first morning he has not been a problem but I dont take a eye off him for a second hes been coming real good when I call him and he is in a indoor kennel when im not home no accidents he eats good and he loves to be all over me as much as he can

21 - 30 of 30 Posts