Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who would like to plant food plots the local national wild turkey fed. chapter can provide FREE seed.It is surplus and there may be a restriction on harvesting the crop.I think they have corn,sunflower and sourgum?You can also buy seed .Call 1 800 THE NWTF. For more info.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Sweet!!! I'm calling right now. I'll let you guys know if I find out about restrictions or whatever.

Ben

·
Registered
227 Posts
You can almost always get free seed from your local Pheasants Forever Chapter. I am the immediate past treasurer of the Ingham County Chapter and we give away approx $20,000 worth of seed every year. That is what those banquets you probably hear about are for. Our chapter in the past has given away corn, sorghum, buckwheat, japanese millet, 7 types of clover, field pea, sunflower, and others that I can't remember. Some of them are mixed together into a blend that gives a little of everything. There are perrenial nesting cover mixes as well as annual food plot mixes.

As far as restrictions, we only ask that you plant it and not leave it in your garage/barn, that you sign an agreement not to harvest it, and that you let us come by to take a look at it. This lets us bring some other potential cooperators to show off the habitat successes or take pictures for presentations. In reality we rarely ever show up. There are NO other strings attached. There are NO minimums and usually no maximum allotment. You do not have to allow hunting on the property at all let alone any PF members. We have city dwellers that like to put in a garden size plot to farmers or hunt clubs that put in 40 acres.

If you have any other questions please ask. All PF chapters have a solid committment to increasing wildlife habitat. Most if not all chapters will consult free of charge to help you improve your habitat for whatever species you want to hunt or just plain look at.

·
Administrator
35,629 Posts
Don't miss our free seed giveaway coming in the month of February right here at The Michigan Sportsman.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Hey slugshot1, who can I call in SW lower MI for more info about this free seed. I am very interested in planting at least 5 acres of now open grass field. I figure since it is sitting unused now, the wildlife may as well get some good use out of it. Besides attracting more pheasant and deer to the area. I have a few resident pheasant now, but will not allow anyone to hunt them until I see their numbers start to rise.

Thanks,

Ben

·
Registered
227 Posts
Ben, what county are you in? More importantly, what county will the seed be planted in? Most counties in Michigan, esp. southern, have chapters. If you let me know the county, then maybe I can get you the chapter president's name or the name of the habitat chairman. You could also contact the Pheasants Forever Michigan Council at this url. http://www.marshalltoday.com/pheasants/
They could probably get back to you quicker. If your county does not have a chapter let me know and I will make seed available for you this spring and we can make arrangments on getting together. I appreciate the interest.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
I'm in Berrien county. The seed will also be planted in Berrien County.

Thanks for your help.
Ben

·
Banned
4,176 Posts
Slugshot: I am also interested in the seed that you spoke of. I am mostly interested in starting a couple of food plots on my land for deer. Is this something that you could help me with? Please let me know and thanks for your help.

·
Administrator
35,629 Posts
Don't forget to post as much as possible and tell your friends too. Our sponsor "Superior Wildlife Feed", is giving 3 bags away at the end of February to 3 random posters from the month.

·
Registered
227 Posts
KPC, I would be more than happy to help. What county will you bury the seed in? We usually like you to start with a local chapter first and then help you if there is no chapter. Let me know and I will get the info to you. I LOVE improving habitat!

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Slugshot-

Thanks for the info. Too bad Berrien County doesn't have a chapter. Maybe someone out there reading this would like to start a Pheasants Forever chapter in Berrien County, or another county.
How bout it? any one interested?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts