Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
8,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have so many, I don't even know what to do with them. :lol: If you're in my area Hillman/Alpena, and like HOT peppers, feel free to PM me to pick up a few. I'll be in Alpena a few times in the next week, so that is fine to meet there also. Also have 3 clones of my mother plant also if anyone is interested in them to winter for next year.

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
Man, I would love to get my hands on some ghost peppers. Alpena's a bit too much of a drive from Vanderbilt, though.

My girlfriend and I were brought up to believe that if you aren't sweating, you aren't really eating. But since moving here from Arizona, we've found that (understandably) you really can't buy good peppers out here. Everybody asks us to describe heat in terms of whether it's "jalapeno spicy" or less. (Being a fan of ghost peppers, I'm sure you understand why that usually gives us a little chuckle.:lol:) We've tried growing our own habaneros, cerranos, and super reds from store-bought seeds, but we got some pretty dismal results. Only about a handful of each. Got any tips for growing peppers this far North?

·
Banned
8,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The trick I found to grow them up here, especially as far north as I am, is to winter them. Growing season is too short and it's too cool. That plant was started last spring and didn't produce anything. Only got about 8" tall. Took it inside for the winter, where it grew about another foot,then put it back out late this spring and it grew like a monster. Yielded roughly 150 or so peppers from that plant alone. The bad thing is that because of the climate up here, hot peppers don't really reach their hotness potential. Ghost peppers up here rarely reach 500,000 su, but down in Arizona and that area, they usually reach the 1 million mark.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
If you pick them, split them length ways, pop them in a dehydrator for a couple days. When they are dried, put them in a blender for a couple seconds, Makes excellent pepper for a pepper shaker. I do this for just about all the peppers that I grow.

·
Premium Member
2,762 Posts
Is a Ghost Pepper the same as a Trinidad Scorpion? I'll get a laugh every once and awhile watching people eat those on YouTube...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Banned
8,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is a Ghost Pepper the same as a Trinidad Scorpion? I'll get a laugh every once and awhile watching people eat those on YouTube...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Ohub Campfire mobile app
Close. Those just passed the Ghost as the world's hottest pepper. Not by much though.

Oh yeah Giddeon! I've dehydrated quite a few. Makes a great spice. I put them in a grinder and sprinkle them on everything. I want to dehydrate a few more and grind them into dust and make a super-concentrated hot sauce. My neighbor got some sauce down state that actually made his lips blister. :yikes:

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
Damm to bad this wasn't up last week i was up to manistee i could have swung over before heading south. The better half looking for some seeds so she can plant a couple plants her self

·
Banned
8,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Buy plants. They take something like 37 days to germinate, and 150 days to fruit.
Even longer than that Up to 90 days to germinate. Most of mine took almost the full 90. I bought some cloning powder from Home Depot and started cloning them. Much easier!

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
I had the pleasure of tasting a few of these peppers. The heat is just OUTRAGEOUS !!! Never in my life did I think I would eat something that could make farts capable of ironing pants. You sir, have done a wonderful job in raising these little fireballs. I commend you for being a true sportsman and sharing something of such quality. These things are the real deal.

·
Banned
8,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks. Glad you liked!!! Still have a few more left if anyone is interested.

I think I literally made the hot sauce from hell last night. :evilsmile Ground 45 peppers in 10 ounces of sauce! :yikes: :SHOCKED:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts