Lansing Gander Mountain Presents
Free "Fly Tying" Seminar

With Tony Pagliei, the host of Fly Fishers Journal

Meet in the Gander Mountain Lodge
Wednesday, January 28th
6:30 PM to 7:30 PM Dubbing Techniques
7:30 PM to 8:30 PM Tying Dry Flies

Tony is an avid Fly Fisherman and Guide who has a passion
for pursuing both fresh and saltwater fish with a fly.
Stop by and learn the ABCs of Fly Tying.

For more information,
contact the Lansing Gander Mountain at (517) 622-5700

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
i didnt even think about posting that osd. i know tony pretty well, and he is a great guy to watch tie. i have learned a ton of stuff from him, and his tubeflies are top notch. i dont know if he will be doing his tubes or not, but if he does, be careful. they can be addicting.

he used to be a guide here in lansing on the grand for smallies and carp. now he spends most of his time fishing for his tv show the fly fishers journal. which i think is only on one more season. then gander mountain is underwriting a new show for him called the modern fly fisher. he said most of the shows are going to be based around the great lakes states (MI, IN, OH, PA, NY).

·
Registered
67 Posts
I had a free evening so I braved the weather and drove to Lansing to check it out. Here are the flies we tied.

The class was for beginners but was still an enjoyable time. Got some nice freebies including a pack of Zonker strips and Tony's video on trying Tube Flies.

The half egg fly was what we tried first. Then another guy showed how to do it ala OSD but using straws to hold the material. After seeing all the ways of tying an egg OSD's method using a pen yields the best results by far because it so tightly compacts the material.

Toddson

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
toddson, where were you sitting? i was the guy that walked in late and sat next to tony with the big yellow notebook. tony is a good guy and looked over some of the flies i have been tying lately and gave me a thumbs up :).

·
Registered
67 Posts
I was right across from you one seat removed from Tony. I had on a white ballcap and a tan sweatshirt.

Yeah there was some good info and I am gonna tie up some bass bugs thanks to a report from someone on the site that told me I'm overlooking a great bass fishery in my back yard.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Toddson,
Not sure who that could have been to give away such good secrets;)
When the weather turns for the better maybe we can get together and fish those good spots in your back yard. i have some flies that had served me well done there. Nothing like a 18 inch smallie to put a little bend in your rod.
Bob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts