Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Located at rose lake state game area been out there 3 times now and finally this morning caught a few fish couple 12" bass and a 22" bowfin which was my first ever and dang put up a nice fight

·
Registered
35 Posts
I fished it once from the shore caught some bass. How did you fish it. Boat or shore

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
229 Posts
had alright sucess on their in the winter. but this weekend i am going to try it for the first time in summer. planning on taking the canoe out there. ever fish any of the other lakes in that area?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have always done well on the lake off peacock rd I have. Of fished many other lakes over there but a guy I work with fishes all the little lakes around there and he said they are good. Can you launch a small boat on rose lake ?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fish from a boat I don't see how you can fish from shore there everything is so grown up around it.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've never tried rose lake do I'm not real sure if you can. I've fished muskrat and round lake in the area ne'er got much out of either. But did take a 30" northern out of round this summer.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Rose you can maybe get a small boat or canoe in. you have to get through about 50 yards of catails before you hit the lake and in low water itmight be tough. burke lake is a nice little lake in there too. clear water and about 30-40 feet deep back in the woods did good on gills there a few weeks ago.. little hike in but worth it.

·
Registered
229 Posts
went out to fox knoll yesterday morning caught a lot of gills with some decent ones thrown in as well as a couple decent bass.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got this at fox knoll this morning along with 5 other bass and a pike was inly out about a hour and 15 mins

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
I've fished every lake out there beginning in the early 70's, but not in many years. Here's my two cents for what it's worth...

Rose Lake - yes, there is (or was) an access down the first driveway south of the DNR office. The road used to go back to the lake and stop. Yes, it's about 50 yds of muck in low water, so a canoe, or a small jon and pole will get you there with a bit of work. The good news is that keeps many people out. Rose Lake used to have decent gills in the spring, some crappie and perch, quite a few bass, an occasional northern. The northwest bowl was always better for gills, and the middle bowl always better for bass. Honestly we used to clean up in there in the 70's on decent gills on their beds before the water got too low in the summer.

Fox Knoll - looks like you guys are fishing it. Nothing spectacular, but some decent catches once in a while. I'd fish Rose before Fox Knoll however.

Mud - used to carry our canoe back in there some, and once in a while get some decent gills. But mainly in spring. Once caught a nice northern in there on a bobber and crawler :lol:

Potters - at one time had a ton of nice pike, and we slayed them on a plain old ordinary red and white dardevil. But last time I was in there about 20 years ago it had gotten so weed choked you couldn't cast a spoon. Did get some nice gills and perch there through the ice a time or two.

Burke - yeah, pretty little lake, and about 30' deep if I recall. In the old days you could drive right to it in the old gravel pit on the west side. They closed the access road years ago, so now it's a hike in proposition. Very boggy shoreline, so be careful if you walk in. We used to fish it with a canoe. Back in the 60's and 70's they stocked trout in it, and we did quite well for a few years. But again, they stopped that years ago, about the time they closed the road. Also once in a while got some decent gills, but again, Rose Lake was always better.

There's a little pothole on the far east end of the area (NW side of Moon Lake, which is private) that you used to be able to drive in to from Bath Road just east of Woodbury Rd. But they closed this access road years ago as well. We actually did fair on gills in this little pothole, but I'm not sure you can even get to it any longer. Maybe you can hike in? But like most of the lakes in that area, real swampy so shore fishing is almost impossible. Float tube carried in? Hmmmm. You younger guys may wanna give it a go ;)

We even snuck into Moon Lake a couple times back in the 70's when we were young and foolish in the dark, and did pretty well on gills and bass. There was a kind of trail between that little pothole described above, and Moon Lake. So we just slid our canoe through the brush into Moon. We knew we were trespassing, but (see above) we were young and foolish. :lol:finally got caught in there one time and the guy told us never to come back...we didn't :evilsmile

Heck we used to even get pike through the ice in the flooding. Back in the day there was still live timber out in it, and quite a healthy population of pike, with no one...I mean no one...fishing it. Last time I was in there years ago duck hunting it had become pretty low water and choked with dead timber and weeds. Seems as if the earthen dike on the north end was not holding water well any longer. Too bad.

Rose Lake was a playground for my brothers and I in the late 60's and early 70's both fishing and hunting. Glad to hear there are guys still kicking around out there.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the info ducky i think I'll give one of the other lil lakes a try in the morning, been wanting to give mud a try but it's just a lot farther to drag my 12ft boat by myself maybe I'll eat my wheaties before I go and give it a try

·
Registered
229 Posts
Potters is right in the same area about a mile west of rose lake along center road. like ducky said though its pretty shallow and unless you get in there early in the year is choked with weeds.

·
Premium Member
4,622 Posts
have done well on specks and gills through ice,seen pike scratches on large gills....burke is a cutie, a few surprising specks and some nice gills,little moon have got nice gills,perch and specks .... but you can legally access moon lake from little moon(at least thats what we call it}and i think the people at moon lake let you accesss for a small fee,it has been a while so im not positive took a bragging bucket full first ice from little moon.hey nermy,just got a 16 ft boat with 25 hp merc, fishing a lot pm if you wanna go sometime

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
have done well on specks and gills through ice,seen pike scratches on large gills....burke is a cutie, a few surprising specks and some nice gills,little moon have got nice gills,perch and specks .... but you can legally access moon lake from little moon(at least thats what we call it}and i think the people at moon lake let you accesss for a small fee,it has been a while so im not positive took a bragging bucket full first ice from little moon.hey nermy,just got a 16 ft boat with 25 hp merc, fishing a lot pm if you wanna go sometime
I think you're right that it was called "little Moon Lake" years ago. I probably have an ancient Rose Lake area map that shows it too...god I'm old :evilsmile

1 - 20 of 22 Posts