Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went over to Metro to fish the by the beach and ended up over by the marina . To my surprise , there was 2-3 inches of pretty solid ice in the back basin by the launch . Walked around on it to check and then went on my way .
I did manage a few keepers off the docks , but only fished an hour or two on minnows and a spreader rig . I bet i would have caught more jigging , but didn't think to bring ice gear. Was planning to fish the beach . Water clarity was not good . I could see about 2 feet.
Still better than sitting home .

back basin.jpg

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Man- you read my mind. I just finished reading good reports of guys getting fish through the ice on the east side of the lake and thought “I wonder if there’s ice on our side?” So I went to MS and saw your post. Thanks for the report! Late fall and first ice is the worst fishing time of the year for me. Especially when guys are killing eyes a few hundred yards from my dock! I need to winterize my boat much later!

·
Registered
12,717 Posts
Man- you read my mind. I just finished reading good reports of guys getting fish through the ice on the east side of the lake and thought “I wonder if there’s ice on our side?” So I went to MS and saw your post. Thanks for the report! Late fall and first ice is the worst fishing time of the year for me. Especially when guys are killing eyes a few hundred yards from my dock! I need to winterize my boat much later!
Or not winterize at all !

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Stay away from the Venetian current on the back of the island on the back bay.
Went over to Metro to fish the by the beach and ended up over by the marina . To my surprise , there was 2-3 inches of pretty solid ice in the back basin by the launch . Walked around on it to check and then went on my way .
I did manage a few keepers off the docks , but only fished an hour or two on minnows and a spreader rig . I bet i would have caught more jigging , but didn't think to bring ice gear. Was planning to fish the beach . Water clarity was not good . I could see about 2 feet.
Still better than sitting home .

View attachment 631683

·
Administrator
17,421 Posts
I wonder if it will up to the 8000 ice fisherman that will be on it tomorrow morning lol

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
"Rainy Days and Mondays" and rainy days in January - "always get me down"! :(That ice will be good for swimming only for the next few days.
<----<<<

·
Administrator
17,421 Posts
They named some handy wipes after anyone ice fishing today; "Wet Ones"! :hide:
<----<<<

1 - 14 of 14 Posts