Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how do i know if my forward gear is bad?

when in gear it will pop out, sometimes more than not sometimes less. the cure seems to be yanking on the shifter on the motor to pull it back more. i have adjusted it but doesnt seem to have made a difference, not that im a pro at it though.

motor is a 1976 35hp johnson

·
Registered
242 Posts
how do i know if my forward gear is bad?

when in gear it will pop out, sometimes more than not sometimes less. the cure seems to be yanking on the shifter on the motor to pull it back more. i have adjusted it but doesnt seem to have made a difference, not that im a pro at it though.

motor is a 1976 35hp johnson
boy, sounds like the problem im havin, I got a 77 25h.p., reverse works fine. just found a buddy with a whole new lower unit that should fit it.

make sure the shift arm didnt jump a tooth, if it sits on the secondary shift arm with the notches in it, it will push it in and out of gear cause its spring loaded.

if you rebuild the lower unit its expensive!!!!!!!!! found a few on ebay, craigslist for about 200.00! also there are a few parts places around

vans sport center in grand rapids 616 364 0666

hildebrand marine (coldwater?) 517 238 5955

good luck

·
Registered
407 Posts
Sounds like yor clutch dog ears are rounded off . I have had success turning clutch dog opposite way . Will be bad in reverse but forward will be okay

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the forward gear is on the back side of the lower end unit and the reverse is on the front side correct? so if i pull the prop off i will be able to get into what i need to see whats going on?

the part description is "FF SHIFTER C DOG" from OMC im assuming this is what i may need. if its the clutch dog that is. price is about $83 on OMC plus delivery.

thanks guys for your replies!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts