Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is somewhat simplified for our younger readers :lol:
I have been researching this for a while and have not been able to find any real solid information but there is formula that is very complex, here is a simplified version.

a= b/c all with a subscript n which means take a point in time

b= what is they call the heat flux radiation either evaporation or heat exchange between the air and the water

c= the coefficient of heat transfer from water mass to air water interface
-here is one of the most important parts of the equation; this can be influenced by the physical properties of the water (is it clear, cloudy, what is the bottom like etc), the dynamic flow properties, or the wind affect.
- more flow and wind and the effect of snow on the ice to insulate it from the air can exponentionally increase the amount of time it takes to make ice

a= the mean water temp

Even though this calculation is very complex- I think start with some shore ice this means the lake water temperatures are starting to reach the freezing point, get a day where you can get a good heat exchange (ie cold exchange) with little wind (been pretty windy) and get some ice formed all the way across the lake. Once this happens doesnt take much more cold weather to put you on the lake. Ice forms rapidly at this point pending snowfalls.

So dont give up hope yet.
Was excited to see 22 degrees at 8 pm(thats a sad statement) only to have hopes somewhat dashed as it was up to 29 three hours later at 11pm.

·
Registered
20,131 Posts
As long as we don't lose the ice all together and have bright sunny days in the 40's or 50's we should be ok. If that sunlight gets to the actual water and warms it up, thats when the problems will start. Remember, ice forms from the "bottom, up".

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Westlakedrive said:
a= b/c all with a subscript n which means take a point in time

b= what is they call the heat flux radiation either evaporation or heat exchange between the air and the water

c= the coefficient of heat transfer from water mass to air water interface
Man, that just brought back some bad memories from my Heat Transfer class. :lol:

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Westlake, I think you need to get off of 3rd shift.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
you neglect the "slush zone" factor and the solidification front speed (propagation) into this equation. It is also a matter of all three types of heat transfer (and chemical change dynamics) radiation, convection, and conduction. I can look through my paperwork from my class and come up with what it is, but its a LONG LONG equation based on high level functional calculus that doesn't really have a very good linear approximation.

in this class i've also settled the dispute if a hamburger cooks faster with multiple flips or a single flip, what the hottest point of a hotdog is when being boiled, and other mind-blowing situations such as that.

steve

·
Registered
7,596 Posts
There is an awful lot of factors that go into making ice.

Here is a simple ice making question. No Googleing.

Why does ice cubes feeze faster with warm water than cold?

·
Registered
7,596 Posts
MSUICEMAN said:
in this class i've also settled the dispute if a hamburger cooks faster with multiple flips or a single flip,

steve
Single right?

·
Premium Member
5,543 Posts
What about the salinity of the water, or other factors that affect the freezing point.:)

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
WILDCATWICK said:
There is an awful lot of factors that go into making ice.

Here is a simple ice making question. No Googleing.

Why does ice cubes feeze faster with warm water than cold?
Jigawhat is right....it is REALLY sad when we have to amuse ourselves by fantasizing about ice:(
Anyway, warm water turns to ice more rapidly because it evapaorates more quickly.

·
Registered
7,596 Posts
Yep. I always thought that was a trick question. Because you will have less quanity. So if you figure the rate of evaporation to figure out what the water level would be and you take the cold water and fill it to that level the cold water would freeze faster. Never did like that saying much.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I have my own equation for ice formulating...

Cold = Ice

Colder = More Ice

Our weather = Swimsuit

:)

·
Premium Member
5,543 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: ice ,ice ice

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
i just got done with my exams!!! and i look on here and it looks like a biology book! i can't forget the stuff i learned fast enough:lol:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts