Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to build a house in a few years and was wondering what is less expensive to operate, Forced Air or Hot water?
I will be using propane as a fuel source.
Also is there much of a difference in installation costs?

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
Boilers are generally a more efficient form of heat BUT they are also more expensive initially. Also you cannot implement central air conditioning into a water system without a ton of expense. I personally would opt for forced air.;)

·
Registered
286 Posts
i built my house eight years ago and wish i would have put in hot water heat. its more even heat no noise and can easily be hooked up to an out door boiler.

·
Registered
7,631 Posts
The next house I get into I am going with geo thermo, it does your heating and cooling, I have hot water base board heat now and love it..Cya Slick

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
I built my house 9 years ago,what a nightmare cost wise with the propane!!.If I had to do it over again I'd do more research into the geo thermo!!!

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
Geo thermal is nice but be prepared to add auxiliary (electric) heating for days when temps approach or go below freezing. The heat of the earth (roughly 55F) just isn't warm enough to offset low outdoor temps without a huge boost in pressure which takes its toll on the coils and compressor. The farther north you live, the more necessary it becomes. The efficiency of the system has come a long way in the last few years but still has a long way to go to be efficient in all climactic conditions.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
If your going to be on LP your going to be shocked at the costs over the winter. Do yourself a favor and go geo thermo.

http://econar.com/

There's some good info in there, read through the site. They're based out of MN and these units are designed for the colder climates.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Pends on how long you plan to be in your home and what you have at the moment. You'll not get into a decent geo thermal unit with a new forced air back up for less than 13K unless you have some tight connections. Closer to 15K though. Thats including duct though if you don't have it. If you do it I'd go the extra $$ and get the highest rated pump you can get. Remember, you can't take them holes with you if you go...:)

If you go with forced alone air it's going to end up killing you in the future. Clean run ya out of house & home before to long...

·
Registered
7,631 Posts
Remember, you can't take them holes with you if you go...:)
Hey that there is funny Danger Dan:lol::lol:

I do have to say one thing is that Geo thermo is working fine in the thumb of Michigan no problem but like most have said it's pricey$$$$ so be ready to pay.. Cya Slick

·
Registered
97 Posts
I put geothermal in my new house in 2005 (open loop system). The unit has an electric assist for times when the temp drops which has only come on twice in three years. Cost was about 4K more than a regular forced air propane unit. Calculated payoff versus propane (2005 prices) was a little less than 4 years.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
If you go with a hydronic system and you are starting from scratch with a new house etc, run an extra zone out under your driveway, front walk and porch. How nice would it be to never have to shovel snow or salt ice again:evil:. When I build my dream house some day, that will be an included feature.

Also run radiant floor tubes in your basement floor so if you ever finish the basement off you dont have to worry about heat. Radiant gives a nice even temp after it is up to speed.

J-

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
We recently built a home and put in geo thermal. It is initially expensive to install but so far it has been worth it. Our monthly bill for (electric) operating averages 150 per month for heat and AC AND all of our electric appliances and lighting...on a 5500 square foot home...so bite the bullet and go for geo thermal it is 300% more efficient than other systems.

·
Premium Member
6,666 Posts
I see I need to find customers like yours the end price between propane and GEO in our market is about $1000 depending on piping and the payout will be less than 2 years. Make sure your unit is sized properly to many contactors have been under sizing and giving GEO'S a bad rap.:rant: We put in one every 10 days or so no problems and is nice not seeing Shell come to the door.:lol:

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
After I posted this and read some of you comments on Geothermal I have been doing a small amount of reading about this. I now understand a little more about geothermal forced air. This sounds like something I may be interested in going with.
Thank you all.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
There was an article this weekend in the ann arbor news about geo. Dont have a link, but search at: www.annarbornews.com

Hope this helps

J-

·
Registered
898 Posts
There is a heat pump system that can handle low temps and the pay back is excellent and will pay for itself over propane in about 4- 5 years.

Its called Acadia....I'll give you a link. We just recently became a dealer and its a great alternative to Geo-thermal, which I have.

This system can go as low a -30.

http://www.gotohallowell.com/acadia.html

If I can help you please let me know.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
There is a heat pump system that can handle low temps and the pay back is excellent and will pay for itself over propane in about 4- 5 years.

Its called Acadia....I'll give you a link. We just recently became a dealer and its a great alternative to Geo-thermal, which I have.

Interesting. I'm curious to know what it would cost on a per month basis during the course of a year (wouldn't happen to have those numbers would ya?). I never really come across an air source heat pump that is really efficient in our climate.

·
Registered
898 Posts
If you go to the site they have a cost calculator, that can give you some idea as to costs. I'm in Toledo and have heard good things about these units and decided to look into them as an alternative to Geo thermal for some retro-fit customers.

We are in the process of formalizing our relationship and have one unit sold. They have a white paper that you can read, they aren't cheap but the pay back looks great.

We see a lot of propane customers and they are taking a bath and we feel this will be the ticket for many of them.

·
Registered
16,457 Posts

I've actually heard about those low temp heat pumps. Haven't done much research into them but that would certainly be a welcome addition to the choices we have. Thanks Terry.

·
Registered
898 Posts
:DWe are just starting the process ourselves, but I believe they are a viable alternative to those that are looking to get out from underneath propane or oil. We have sold one and I'm preparing a quote for another.

We are also going to market customers that are using propane. I live in a fairly new house (8 years old) and have Geo thermal and one of my neighbors called me and asked me about Geo thermal and I told him a ball park price and I could hear the sigh in his voice as his house is newer than mine.

So, I started my quest to seek out an alternative and found these systems.

As always I'm somewhat reluctant to immediately start installing something that is relatively new to the market and not really tried, they claim to have these systems installed in the all over northern Canada.

It uses a York air handler as I'm sure you noticed and the ECM motor will be a nice feature.

I'm still trying to digest the white paper.

Also we have not been a strong advocate of air to air HP's here in NW Ohio, although I think your going to see that change due to the high price of propane, we are going to be introducing more customer to the saving of a duel fuel system.

Maybe something we can agree on???:D:D:D

1 - 20 of 42 Posts