Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend eyeballing a used boat with a 1997 40hp Force outboard on it. Based on a guy telling him to "stay away from a Force" he is getting cold feet. I can't really find anything too bad about them online other than they got a bad rap being associated with Bayliner boats. All opinions are appreciated...Thanks

·
Registered
388 Posts
I have 85hp force no problems. Sometimes people can be bullheaded about brands.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I had a 1990 35 HP Force Tiller & my wife's uncle had a 1994 90 HP Force on his pontoon. Both motors were complete crap. I gave my motor away & replaced it with a merc. I always had problems starting the motor & it sucked the gas. The wife's uncle sold his boat because of the motor.

The parts for Force are hard to find & when you do find them they cost you an arm & a leg. For just 1 coil for my Force motor it cost $150 & that was 5 years ago.

I would stay clear of any boat that had a Force motor unless you plan to replace the motor.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I have no experience with Force engines myself but in the boating world there has been a phrase out for some time:

"May the Force be with you, but hopefully not behind you."

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
People have their preference just like what they say about bayliners

Fish on !!!
Ya people have their preferences & unfortunatley some have Force outboards. Worse yet is a Bayliner with a Force on it.

Look up Force parts for any year & compare the price to the same parts for a Merc, Johnson Rude etc. The price difference in replacement parts alone should steer people away from buying a boat with a Force motor. Add the fact that the parts are hard to find & most local places don't even stock Force parts will give more reasons not to own a Force.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Zib you crazy sombitch. When I get home Im gonna punch your momma in the mouth. Just kidding and yes its Derek. I do remember you saying to me never buy a boat with a Force motor. My Johnson has been real reliable.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Merc bought chyrsler and turned them into force. Hard to find parts and had many issues
Buy the boat, throw away the motor and buy a Merc,Johnson

·
Registered
12,984 Posts
No matter the year of the Force motor on the boat in question (or any boat for that matter) the technology under the cowl is from the 1970's and is 100% Chrysler. They haven't made parts for them since the early 80's, which is the main reason they are so expensive when you are lucky enough to find them. As with any brand motor... there are some good ones and some bad ones... Force just seems to lean towards MOST being bad with a couple good ones thrown in.

My opinion? Run away from the boat and look for one with a Merc/Mariner, Yammy, or even a Rude.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I've got a 99 Force 40 that came on my Tracker from the factory.
No issues. Very simple to work on.

·
Registered
14,816 Posts
On my second one now. The first was an early 90s 70 hp. It wouldn't idle down without loading up and was hard on plugs. Though I did have much better life using NGK plugs. My current is a 97 120 I've had it for 6 or 7 seasons. Been all over the bay, outer bay, holloway and st clair river with it. Other than rebuilding the starter no problems. It idles down well. When the spark plugs start to go south it starts hard. Haven't changed plugs for 3 seasons but I need to.

In (I think )1995 merc added their ignition/electronics and lower unit. The block is still the same. I'm not 100% certain on that but have read it several places on the net. Iboats is a good place for boat info.

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts
I had a fishing boat with a 40hp Force "97", it ran like a raped ape. Never had any problems with it and was simple to winterize. I miss that boat everyday. Hey, where's the boat located and what kind is it, might be my old one;)

·
Registered
11,851 Posts
Worse yet is a Bayliner with a Force on it.
I'll poo poo that one.... I have a Trophy with an 85 Force on it. Fishes much better than the Crestliner I had before it. Never had any problems with it till a couple weeks ago, which turned out to be a bad float. Never left me out there in 6 years so I can't gripe.

Force mtrs seem to be PIA on the cold start... very common trait. They are also gas hogs (2.5mpg). Parts are still available for most things (crowley marine in CO) but some stuff is getting very difficult to find. (don't brake a prop shaft)

On the plus side, they are fairly easy motors to work on.... Not complex at all. Lots of info on em over at Iboats.

Just make sure you run a compression check on it first... One of the biggest killer of these motors is people leaning out the carbs and burning up a piston.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts