Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was up north this past weekend at a breeders place my Uncle knows. His breeder buck was a 24 point last year and would have been bigger this year had he not hurt himslef. Anyways this guy really knows his stuff and told me what he does for scents.

Apparently Tinks, don't quote me on this, uses Cow pee in their attractants. The breeder went on to tell me that the bucks can't tell the difference between cow and deer pee any more than they can tell the difference between deer and human pee.

So he said get yourself a mason jar and do your business in it. Next time you are out scouting bring a baggie and collect some fresh deer droppings. Place the droppings in the jar and let sit for a couple days. Shake and strain out the the droppings and you have free Tinks. Don't ask me how, but he said it works. He tested it out with his bucks by making mock scrapes. They tore those spots up.

Anyone else ever heard of this?

JD

·
Registered
465 Posts
Yep Banditto you're right.
However despite all the flak that Fred gets, he did have a whole lot of very good shows going.
I thought that series on scents was very enlightening. I don't care much for his new shows but I suppose his hands are tied.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am just repeating what I was told by someone who happens to be pretty knowledgeful on the subject. A company cannot sue your for making this statement. That would be like someone saying that the secret ingredient in chocolate chip cookies is chocolate chips. So Banditto, while I appreciate your "keep my mouth shut comment" I suggest you look up the law and then get back to me.

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
I thought he was right on the money when that happened.

Did you guys catch the series that he would pour a gallon of his own urine on a decoy before hunting and the bucks would check out the decoy? it really makes you thin(K).

forgot the K

·
Super Moderator
7,371 Posts
Originally posted by Banditto
I
Did you guys catch the series that he would pour a gallon of his own urine on a decoy before hunting and the bucks would check out the decoy? it really makes you thin.
Really? Get bucks to the decoy and lose weight?
Gotta try it :D

·
Registered
465 Posts
JDLIGHT,
Lighten up, the comments about lawsuits are meant to be light hearted.
However If you did watch the series that Banditto was referring to, it would be hard to imagine how Fred Trost could have been sued by the scent industry & to have lost his case.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Fred got sued because he stated it was something other than deer urine in the bottle. Had he made it clear it was just his opinion and not fact he would have wonthe law suite.

B

·
0 Posts
I can't say it has ever attracted deer, but I've pissed from my treestand before and had deer come past and smell the puddle and it has never spooked them...

·
Registered
522 Posts
I once had an old timer, some what off center I might add, tell me to save my wifes/girlfriends used girly things and use those as scent bombs.:( He also said to make sure they use the unscented variety. Needless to say I have not tried this technique and don't plan too, but we did get a good laugh out of it.

Dan

·
Registered
249 Posts
Jawbreaker, I believe. A buddy and I were coming back to camp after fishing all day in late May one year, and as we came around a bend in the 2 track we see a vey big deer standing in the road with its nose on the ground. we were able to get very close before it spooked. Because of the body size of the animal we wanted to check out the tracks. The road was tore up with this animals tracks! Laying in the center of all this was a freshly used tampon! My friend and I were amazed. we never knew whether the deer was a buck or doe, but it sure had spent a long time in that road! So don't be so quick to dismiss!

Say ya to da U.P., eh?

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
Ya if anybody can recall the exact details correct me, but Fred personally got sued and they went after the station too.

It set him back quite a bit, and that is pretty much what got him fired up to get into law.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I remember walking by a stand in Roscommon county and it must of had ten of those hanging around it. Don't know if they work or not. But ammonia seems to work. Pour a little on the ground and spray some on the foliage out a short distance away and watch them stick their nose's in it. I've had the wind blowing towards me and been able to smell it from quite a distance. Then have a deer walk up and put it's nose right in it. Wow!

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
I pee out of my stand almoast every hunt. I have never had it affect the deer in one way or another. Some folks say dont pee some say too. I wonder what would happen to a scrape if you put human urine in it.

·
Super Moderator
11,728 Posts
Howdy-

I've peed many time from my stand, all with no ill effects.

Fred got sued because his widely watched TV show threatened the financial stability of a large, money-making enterprise. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that other scent companies contributed monies to the legal effort to sue him; if he goes unchallenged against one company, the rest are guilty by association.....

He lost the action due to incompetent legal representation. That was what spurred him on to obtain his own law degree.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts