Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
7,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
- Will point Fox and Red Squirrels, whoa broke on Chipmunks.
- He'll Scratch all the bark off your maple trees to indicate which trees the Squirrels have been frequenting.
- Hold point for 15 minutes, steady when squirrel jumps from garage, to tree, to sunporch.
- Retrieves to hand
- Will chase Squirrels to property boundary and crash head first into fence, only to do it again 15 minutes later.
- Papers available, german lines.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Have you worked with him on moles yet? I really like seeing a dog work those moles and voles.

And I just watched that movie again this weekend. . .still hilarious!

·
Registered
659 Posts
Sounds like you guys need to get rid of those worthless short tail dogs and buy an English Setter. I am sure a ES would never stoop so low as to point a freakin squirrel.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Funny Kush!

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Double Gun said:
Sounds like you guys need to get rid of those worthless short tail dogs and buy an English Setter. I am sure a ES would never stoop so low as to point a freakin squirrel.
Very true Double Gun. You take a dog and divide it's prey drive in two, it's amazing the kind of restraint that they have.;)

·
Registered
7,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Double Gun said:

So you're not interested?

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Glad you drew in the arrow!! Other wise we'd never have known where to look....:lol:

·
Registered
7,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wyle_e_coyote said:
Glad you drew in the arrow!! Other wise we'd never have known where to look....:lol:
Human eyes have a difficult time picking out a squirrel against a tree, maybe he's the dog for you Glenn?

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Adam Waszak said:
everybody is a comedian huh?

AW
Just trying to lighten things up here, before it became a dog breed bashing thread.
Come on every one, lighten up, It's Martin Luther King day....lets party!

·
Registered
7,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
PahtridgeHunter said:
Kush, how does he handle himself with doubles?:lol:
I won't lie, he gets confused, I think the squirrels team up and play games with him.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
PahtridgeHunter said:
Kush, how does he handle himself with doubles?:lol:
Jay, be realistic. It can take the best squirrel pointing dogs, seasons to remain consistent on doubles.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hevi said:
Jay, be realistic. It can take the best squirrel pointing dogs, seasons to remain consistent on doubles.:rolleyes:

But it's all about getting him out there on as many contacts as I can. The other day he put his paws up on the windowsill and pointed a squirrel on the neighbors roof, that my friends, you can't teach, that's directly related to the sheer number of squirrel contacts he's had.

But I'm lucky, I live in the city, close to prime squirrel habitat, I can train during the week.

It helps that the squirrels are at the top of their cycle this year, it's good to get him on a bunch of animals in his formadable years.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
GVSUKUSH said:
But it's all about getting him out there on as many contacts as I can. The other day he put his paws up on the windowsill and pointed a squirrel on the neighbors roof, that my friends, you can't teach, that's directly related to the sheer number of squirrel contacts he's had.

But I'm lucky, I live in the city, close to prime squirrel habitat, I can train during the week.
That's good that you can get him into so many contacts! Looks like the habitat is great over there....oaks, black walnut, occasional dropped french fry. There is no substitute for that kind of environment. ESPECIALLY with a suburban squirrel dog. Plus, training season doesn't close!!!

Mates, you're right, how long does a neighborhood squirrel dog take to acheive CH status on average?

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
GVSUKUSH said:
I envy you in that respect...

dyemen said:
Kush,
Maybe you should consider a "flusher", Definitely would produce more game for the bag and less time wasted looking for the Squirrel!!:lol: :evil:

Dave
Dave, it's about the number of quality squirrel contacts, not squirrels in the bag. It's always about the dog work.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
PahtridgeHunter said:
Mates, you're right, how long does a neighborhood squirrel dog take to acheive CH status on average?
I've seen it take as many as 4 solid seasons. And when I say that, I'm not talking about a weekender, I'm talking about a guy like Steve that lives and breathes the game. Are you pickin' up what I'm layin' down here Jay? I can see the glint in your eye. Don't think you can just grab a dog and make it a UC (Urban Champion) overnight. It can take heartbreak and countless hours of squirrel work. After that, you spend a lot of time with conditioning. You need to pour your soul into a program like this.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts