Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pursuant to act 301.8-6 Paragraph 5 Sec.2 - Adverse Weather Conditions/Spring Turkey Season

An emergency meeting of the NRC in Lansing today resulted in the following changes to Michigans 2007 Spring Turkey Hunt.

Effictive Immediatly:

Due to the recent, adverse severe winter weather conditions affecting Michigan, the Spring Turkey season has been moved up two weeks.
New Hunt dates are as follows:
Hunt 301, commonly refered to as the 1st season, will now begin May 1st and run thru May25th. Due to the severity of the weather and the resulting conditions of the flocks, only turkeys with beards 3" and under will be allowed to be harvested.

Hunt 234, commonly reffered to as the late season, has been cancelled.
No refunds will be offered and licences already purchased will be honored for the upcomming fall hunt whereas the choice of a tom or a hen may be harvested. Again, this hunt will be limited to hens and toms with beards no longer than 3".

·
Registered
653 Posts
Just recived my email.. Looks like a bummer deal

·
Registered
7,148 Posts
They also outlawed all pay to hunt hunts. Said something about if ya can't do it on your own ya should'nt be doing it. :lol: Something there to about cancelling deer season because of the late snow.

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
The DNR WOULD really be concerned about "the condition of the flocks" for a change...

nice try, Tom...LOL

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Thunderhead said:
Pursuant to act 301.8-6 Paragraph 5 Sec.2 - Adverse Weather Conditions/Spring Turkey Season

An emergency meeting of the NRC in Lansing today resulted in the following changes to Michigans 2007 Spring Turkey Hunt.

Effictive Immediatly:

Due to the recent, adverse severe winter weather conditions affecting Michigan, the Spring Turkey season has been moved up two weeks.
New Hunt dates are as follows:
Hunt 301, commonly refered to as the 1st season, will now begin May 1st and run thru May25th. Due to the severity of the weather and the resulting conditions of the flocks, only turkeys with beards 3" and under will be allowed to be harvested.

Hunt 234, commonly reffered to as the late season, has been cancelled.
No refunds will be offered and licences already purchased will be honored for the upcomming fall hunt whereas the choice of a tom or a hen may be harvested. Again, this hunt will be limited to hens and toms with beards no longer than 3".
But only if jupiter is out of it's fifth orbit and the the sun sets at 33.7degrees when the stars alinged with mars:lol: :lol: You guys better lay off the cough syrup.....m:D

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
wait my email said to get out the rifle we are going deer hunting on the 23rd. they also lifted the baiting rules. they asked that you drop 3 tons of bait out and only hunt with a full auto to kill the heard and help them make it threw are new winter season.:lol:
looking at report looks to be 60 on the 23rd should get some old boys talking

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Just saw this on M-Live.com:

Spartan Stores May Help Local Hunters

4/11/2007 By Todd Lerfondler

TROY - Michigan hunters may have a new option this year, thanks to the wild April weather we've been experiencing. According to Sharon Peters of the Michigan DNR, the weather has forced a change in the spring turkey seasons. This year the hunting season that used to take place at the end of April has been moved up to May, and the late hunt that took place in May has been cancelled outright. "This is really important for the health of our flocks", states Ms. Peters. "Having hunters put pressure on the turkeys so soon after a major snowfall would be devastating to the health of the turkeys. If we want to make sure turkey hunting stays healthy in the years to come, then we must make some sacrifices now" Ms. Peters asserts. The DNR official also went on to say that the licences for the late hunt will be honored in the fall season, if the hunters chose to do so. However, another change for this year is a regulation on the size of beard that a turkey has to have in order to be harvested. Ms. Peters tells us, "It used to be in the spring, hunters could take any bearded turkey. This year that will be different. We are only allowing turkeys with beards 3" or less to be taken this year. This will also hold true in the fall. Hunters can take both male and female turkeys in the fall, but any male taken will have to have a beard of 3" or less." Ms. Peters also went on to say the reason for this was to preserve a good breeding stock. "We need to keep a strong supply of mature gobblers available in order to assure that the flocks stay healthy. The DNR has been considering a change like this for the past few years. This weather has given us the perfect opportunity to implement this in, what we hope, is the first step of many in a comprehensive Quality Turkey Management program.

Unfortunately, the rule changes leave thousands of hunters without the opportunity to take home a turkey this spring. That's where Spartan Stores steps in. Hugh Jass, Vice President of Operations for the company informed us that Spartans Stores was willing to help out hunters this year. "We're very excited to have the opportunity to support the hunters in our state this year. Any hunter with a '234' or late turkey hunting tag, can turn that tag into any Spartan store across Michigan in return for a 12 pound Spartan brand turkey." Mr. Jass states that he is sure people will be thrilled to take home a turkey to cook, without having to go through all of the trouble hunting it. "Turkey hunting is hard work" Mr. Jass asserts, "I think that the sucess rate for hunters in the spring is something like only 30%. Now those hunters have a 100% chance in taking home a bird for the fryer." There are talks between the DNR and Spartan stores about reimbursement for the turkeys using government funds. "We're confident that the DNR will reimburse us for at least part of the cost for the turkeys" states Mr. Jass,
"But even if they don't, we're still going ahead with the program. We support the hunters of our state."

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: too funny Thunderhead. I'm heading to Missouri and Kansas, hope the snow is gone when I get back. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
QTM:evil: You jest of course:lol: . Sounds like some animal nut cases;) Shoot a bird 3" or less for breeding stock now this is really funny:D

You guys crack me up.........m:D

·
Premium Member
8,062 Posts
CMRM said:
Just saw this on M-Live.com:

Spartan Stores May Help Local Hunters."
I knew that your post was pure Bull with out even reading a word past the Spartan Stores heading. Spartan Stores don't even care enough to about turkey hunters to carry an turkey ammo.

This nice weather makes me smile at all the guys that have to have the first chance at the turkeys. Evey one is worried about there season being screwed up by the current weather pattern:lol: :lol:

234 For me any time

·
Registered
8,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
multibeard said:
This nice weather makes me smile at all the guys that have to have the first chance at the turkeys. Evey one is worried about there season being screwed up by the current weather pattern:lol: :lol:

234 For me any time
Actually the only thing this weather bothers is the hunters. I've been seeing birds all over the place.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
They're grocery stores, mulitbeard. Grocery stores don't usually carry ammo. I, for one, think that Hugh Jass is behind us all the way.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts