Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my groups first year food plotting. We have read through Ed's book multiple times and followed his instructions for plot prep with spraying, tilling, liming fertilizing, planting etc. We planted mixes that included corn soybeans, milo, buckwheat, and a couple other things about 3 weeks ago. Now that things are starting to sprout up, including weeds, I want to know what is something I planted and what is a weed. Some were fairly easy like corn, But the others not so much. Does anyone have a good reference book or website that id's young plants as they begin germinating?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Banned
12,721 Posts
Take a picture and ask Farmlegend (a site member if you don't know)

Or google weed identification books.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Growers-Weed-Identification-Handbook-Fischer/dp/0931876435"]Amazon.com: Growers Weed Identification Handbook (9780931876431): Bill Fischer: [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@319KKHPRGHL[/ame]

·
Registered
0 Posts
Wait long enough until you can identify the stuff you planted. Also, keep in mind that something you might term a "weed" is something deer might call "dinner". The QDMA book on food-plotting has an excellent reference section in the back with dozens of common plants that we use for deer.

·
Banned
12,721 Posts
Wait long enough until you can identify the stuff you planted. Also, keep in mind that something you might term a "weed" is something deer might call "dinner". The QDMA book on food-plotting has an excellent reference section in the back with dozens of common plants that we use for deer.
Again broom good advice.....your on a roll this morning.

·
Registered
36,059 Posts
The Quality Food Plot book by QDMA is a good resource but it is not useful for determining newly germinated food plot seed. Almost all the pictures in the food plot profile section are of mature plants in the flowering stage. There are very few weed pictures in the managing weed section. Overall it is a good book but not what you are looking for.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Deep down I knew this was the best advice. After seeing first growth I feel like a kid at Christmas. No patience- want it now. I'll try to throttle it back and see what everything looks like in a few weeks.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Deep down I knew this was the best advice. After seeing first growth I feel like a kid at Christmas. No patience- want it now. I'll try to throttle it back and see what everything looks like in a few weeks.

Enthusiasm is a good thing, but Nature will not be rushed! With that being said, L2HUP is right about the QDMA book only showing mature plants and virtually no weeds. That's why I recommend waiting a while, until you can be sure. If you really have to know, Google will help reveal what you're looking for, but in the final analysis, you can't DO anything for a while, anyway. :D

You stirred the earth and endeavored to improve. Now, you wait and see what wonders transpire. While you're at it, pray for regular rainfall! :)

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Enthusiasm is a good thing, but Nature will not be rushed! With that being said, L2HUP is right about the QDMA book only showing mature plants and virtually no weeds. That's why I recommend waiting a while, until you can be sure. If you really have to know, Google will help reveal what you're looking for, but in the final analysis, you can't DO anything for a while, anyway. :D

You stirred the earth and endeavored to improve. Now, you wait and see what wonders transpire. While you're at it, pray for regular rainfall! :)
If there is one thing ive learned so far about food plotting it's that rain (at least moisture content of soil) is key. Lower spots, areas with a bit of shading, and cultipacker grooves that collect water have much more germination than areas where the top inch is dry.

Maybe tonight I'll do a rain dance.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
When I started plotting I would always plant some a home in at planter or pot. Then water it sufficiently, then I knew what should come up, and what stage it should be at if it had sufficient water.

·
Premium Member
3,893 Posts
When I started plotting I would always plant some a home in a planter or pot. Then water it sufficiently, then I knew what should come up, and what stage it should be at if it had sufficiante water.

That's a cool idea.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts