Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn't sure were to post this message but I figured why not put it where the food plotters play.

Yesterday I went to meet a guy and give him a estimate. When he was giving me directions he told me to look for a old school bus in a drive next to a garage. I thought it was kind of weird that he didn't mention his house. Usually someone will tell me what color it is or something. So I find the school bus in the drive and pull in. Only to find out there is no house left on this property. The man ( we will call him Bob) came out of the school bus and meet me in his driveway and we discussed how we might get to the back of his property where he wanted to put the food plots. I asked him what happened to his house. I could see the slab it was on, but thats all there was. He told me that it had burned down in mid June and that the new house was yet to come. Bob then took me into his garage and showed me some of the guns he had found in the burned down house. Some of them were antique and some of them had a lot of personal meaning to him but most of them were lost in the fire. I mean the ivory and wood handles were melted and burned off and just the frames were left.

So we jump in my truck and head to the back of his property where he had put a food plot the previous fall. He had a really nice gun house built overlooking about a 5 acre field. Bob told me how he and his son or sons built the blind so he could hunt. He had several long scars on his knees where he had some surgerys done in the last couple of years. And I figured he had trouble staying out in the cold for any length of time. So we measure off a 1/2 acre where he would like to put a food plot and he begins to tell me about the big buck he shot in his plot the previous fall. He said it was the biggest buck he had ever shot. As he told me the story of the Big Buck and how he harvested it I began to feel that this food plot was more than some dirt and seed.
This was Bob's getaway from the real world. He couldn't wait for me to start on creating his new plot. It just makes you think for a second. Are you putting the food plot in for the deer or yourself? Anyway to make a already long story shorter. We went back to his garage and were discussing what to plant when he told me about the mounts he had in one of his rooms that also were lost in the fire, and then I realized that the big buck he had shot the fall before was probably in that room. This guy was unbeliveably strong willed but you could tell that a huge piece of his life was gone forever and one thing that kept him going was the memorys on the FOOD PLOT.
So not only will I be putting in a food plot for Bob this fall, but also for the Big Buck to revisit him. Good Luck Bob!!

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Very nice story! It was great you were able to help him out. With his will, he will get his life back together some day for sure.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have not had the tragedy that Bob suffered but I sure can relate. I have spent about 20+ hours on my 'new to me' Ford 8N this summer just driving around through the plots my brother-in-law and I are building. I have had more fun doing this plotting than I had hinting last fall. The fulfillment I get from improving the habitat and then setting and watching the increased deer movements and sightings is REALLY great. I don't really worry much about shooting a big deer. I do enjoy the venison and will have what we need but the increased sightings is the motivator for me. And, yes I believe the deer are 'happier' too. TED

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
Bob has the right attitude and it was fine of you to help. good story We put them in for both reasons although we hunt the runways coming in or going out but that is just preference. Would love to have an 8N again as it was the best piece of equipment we ever had in camp for an all around machine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts