Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on replanting my food plot next fall and want to do it right. I will be using Imperial clover to plant with :) I am planning on spraying it with round up and was wondering when I should take my soil samples? How long before I plant should I spray? Will it be necessary to do more than 1 application?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

·
Banned
694 Posts
I planted clover two years in a row now. I roto tilled on several occasions, but should have been less stingy with the roundup.
My 1st crop was taken over by weeds.
If I had to do it again, I'd lime in the fall (it's pretty hard to over lime), rototill early in the spring, and then have the soil tested.

------------------

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Tom222

just wondering how much roundup you used and how much I should use. I have just about an acre that I've disced up and limed. Now weeds are working their way back up through the soil...should I let em grow over winter and then roundup in the spring? or use round up now AND in spring? Anyone got any advice?

thanks,

ben

[This message has been edited by SalmonSlayer (edited 10-23-2000).]

·
Registered
114 Posts
Keep discing until it stop turning green. Start discing when green up happens in the spring until planting season. It take about a year to mechanically fallow the soil. You should be in good shape this next spring.

·
Banned
694 Posts
Salmonslayer, I was at the end of my jug of roundup when I sprayed. I should have bought more before I started.
Roundup does not hurt the soil. It has no carry over. It only kills the green plants that it's sprayed on. Spraying plenty won't hurt.
My advise would be to hit it hard this spring, watch it for a week or two, and decide if you want to spray again.
I hope this helps you.
Good luck.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
I asked my farmer bud same question basscat and no it won't. Round up is a contact killer in other words it just kills what it touches.

One word of advice make sure that if you use round up in a sprayer that you really clean it out before using it for anything else. Some bleach and water does a good job..marty

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the info guys :) I am planning on starting a couple of new plots in the spring and reworking my existing one. I am also planning on doing a winter wheat plot for the cool season.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Guys, thanks for all your help...it is really appreciated. Unfortunately, this past weekend I was discing the plot and my disc broke so I decided to just turn it all over again with the plow to break up the weed growth. Well I guess murphy had my number cuz one of the round discs in front of the plow blade came off just as I was finishing. At least it is all turned over now...and I doubt I'll be able to get int there again till spring cuz the clay REALLY holds moisture and I'd get stuck just driving to the plot area. Guess it's time to invest in a welder...

thanks again all,

ben

------------------
Keepin on

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
I am experimenting this year, I have a 1/2 acre plot that was taken over with weeds. I mowed it down then sprayed it with roundup. Everything is dead, Instead of working the ground this spring and bringing up new weed seeds, I am going to "frost seed" clover in March.

The farmers in my area frost seed clover seed in March onto there winter wheat fields, it grows with the wheat, when the wheat is harvested the clover takes off.

I think the dead weed cover will help attach the seed to the soil like the winter wheat does. The thawing and freezing of the ground will bed your seed into the soil. I will post the results.

[This message has been edited by bishs (edited 10-27-2000).]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts